Hey 545rfe trans guys....

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I'm hoping that many of you have pictures of the center hump and the frame modifications you've done. I'm also hoping to see what people did for a trans mount.

Lets load this thread up with pictures so we can share our knowledge.

Riddler

Here's a few pics of my mods.

Attachments

• DSC03190.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DSC03191.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • DSC03194.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • DSC03192.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,079
  • DSC03195.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,101
You don't have to cut the frame, just the cross member.

Attachments

• 100_1807.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,062
Hey TC,
elevation wise,where is the bottom of the pan in relation to the frame rails?
You see how far up into the compartment I had to come to make them equal.
Also how far into the engine compartment is the tranny?
Andrew

OK let me ask it this way, what is the distance between the centerline of the crossmember and the actual mounting point for the tranny mount?
Andrew

OK let me ask it this way, what is the distance between the centerline of the crossmember and the actual mounting point for the tranny mount?
Andrew

It's about 4-5" back from the CL of the crossmember. I'll see if I can get a actual measurement tonight.

Hey Tin,
is your car in a garage? if not I know i will have to wait for the spring thaw:-D
Andrew

Here you Rapid, hope they help....

there you go tin... thats just what i was looking for. it was worth the wait
kos.gif

Hey Tin,
is your car in a garage? if not I know i will have to wait for the spring thaw:-D
Andrew

Yes my car is in a garage, so you only have to wait for me to remember, sorry, I'll get it.

Subscribed. I too want all the info on this trans-implant I can gather.

I like what has been done to make these monster trans fit in the cars.
I have only begun but though I would add my two cents. I have made it fit now just need the mounts and supports. Still to cold outside in the garage to start.

Attachments

• 6.1 motor 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 868
  • 6.1 motor 004.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 839
  • 6.1 motor 006.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 836
looking good nice trim job. just have to make sure your cuts leave enough clearance for engine torque and vibration

Would it be any easier to cut the trans tunnel from something like a Dakota and graft it into the a-body floor pan ?

what do you guys think about a half inch clearance around the trans enough or should I try and get an inch?

what do you guys think about a half inch clearance around the trans enough or should I try and get an inch?

t-granger a half inch is probably adequate. i just threw that in there to get you to think. after all when your build is finished it would be upsetting to have the trans bouning off the bottom of the floor

Would it be any easier to cut the trans tunnel from something like a Dakota and graft it into the a-body floor pan ?

redfish i've done that several times i save trans tunnels just for that purpose.

I had a buddy who built a 57 Chevy (I know that was his first problem) And every time he shifted gears hard the trans would slap the bottom of the car. It was very disappointing to him. I do not want the same issues.

I think Half inch will be good enough, I think I have that now most every where.

Mounts might have a lot to do with the movement too. I would imagine polyurethane ones would keep everything pretty solid compared to rubber ones. Or just a straight hard mount, that would keep it in place, lol.

This is my new trans mount almost forgot to post it here as well.

Attachments

• trans mount 010.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 757
  • trans mount 001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 736
  • trans mount 004.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 767
Do these transmissions use the same cable drive for our speedometer ?

-
Back