Hey all, new here... my first Mopar! Few questions

-

Velislide

Reaction score
Hey all, I just recently got my first little muscle car. Its a 73' Duster that came with a disassembled 318 v8, and a 3 speed auto on the floor.

The cars in fairly good shape, not much rust on the body at all, subframes have a few holes though. But recently I just picked up a 1969 383 big block with the 3 speed auto tranny, 54k original miles on the combo, guy pulled it from the car and sold it to me for 350$. Only thing the engine needs is a starter he says.

First question, will the 318 starter fit the 383?

I'm going to be buying that motor mount kit for 160$, that bolts the 383 right up. I also know I'll need some stiffer torsion bars?

Any tips on what to check for on this motor? Since it is 41 years old, before it would be safe to use? It was running 4 years ago the owner said.

I plan on removing the AC from the engine, am I going to have to remove anything from the engine bay to make this thing fit?

Thats all I can think of at the moment! Any tips, hints, or links that will help, feel free to shoot them this way!

The starter will work fine in the big block setup but very little else will. If you're taking the A/C off, you'll need all the big block non-A/C pulleys and brackets. Your changeover will require lots of changes and/or modifications. Radiator, wiring, exhaust, driveshaft and yoke to name just a few. If your car has the 7 1/4 rear, that will need to be upgraded also. Your brakes and torsion bars should work ok for now. I think I would at least reseal the engine and install some new brass freeze plugs after flushing out the bottom of the block. Get an electronic distributor and it will work with your existing control box and wiring. Hopefully you got the kickdown linkage along with the eng/trans
or you'll need to round that up also. If it were me doing it, I'd either build the 318 or plug in a 360. To me, the 383 conversion is a waste of time, money, and effort but each his own. More bang for the buck with a 360 in my opinion.
Thanks, Mark

I would add that the '69 motor will not like todays unleaded fuel, well at least the valve seats won't like it.

Chuck

Is the 383 just not a good motor? I was thinking of doing the 496 ci stroker, and would different heads solve the valve seat issue? The engine and tranny came together, and it has the long linkage still attatched. Car has a different rear end in it, something with posi the guy said, I'll have to take a look later.

The 383 is an excellent engine. Just maybe not the best choice for your Duster.

If you're not in a hurry, maybe you should start with the 318. Assemble and install it, gaining important knowledge and skills. Then you would have a car to drive while you make upgrades to the chassis, such as bigger torsion bars, capable differential, subframe connectors, and most importantly, brakes that will handle the weight and power of the big block. Then you could take your time building the 496 project engine, and have a safe car to put it in by and by. As Mick Jagger once said, "Time is on your side."

Welcome to FABO, Velislide. You will have fun here!
You said there's "not much rust on the body at all, subframes have a few holes though." I would concentrate on getting the underside in shape and strong enough to handle whatever powertrain and suspension you decide on. No sense in building power if the basic vehicle structure can't handle or support it.
By the way, we love pics of all cars and projects! Where are they?

Well here we go, this is my first time working on a car engine like this, so what do u guys think? Look pretty clean inside or no? Tried to get the best pics I could. I didnt clean anything yet on this engine, you see it how I got it.

I really dont want to mess with the 318, as I only have about 75% of it, no point in wasting money on it when I have a full 383 sitting here. From what I can tell, the engine looks pretty clean, besides the obvious rusting pulleys and manifolds.

13410280.png

18712842.png

19455066.png

66081916.png

Welcome to FABO Veli! One thing ... do you think you could increase the size of your pics a little? I can't make them out. Actually, your valve spring measured almost 14" tall on my monitor. ;)

LOL yea, funny thing is they are uploaded at 800x600, dunno why they are so f- huge lol. If i load them on photobucket, they display at the right size! I'll try relinking them.

Yea I dunno whats wrong, they display fine on other forums, just not here...

Fixed the pics, hows it look?

Whats the best way to clean all that gunk and grease off the engine for me?

Welcome to FABO and best of luck with your build!!!

The only thing I can say is (and that is why my Dad pounded into my head) make sure your car can handle and stop before you make sure it can go!

If you frame is solid, and the brakes are good, jump into the 383 build I say!

You say that you are planning on stroking it, which should take care of any concerns as far as unleaded gas goes...

What are your plans for this car? If you are planning on having one Badas* street car, I'd say keep the a/c on the 383 (so you can make those ricers sweat while your kickin as* nice and cool :D )

just my 2 cents...

-
Back