hey, got a simple (not so) question...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
working on my 1st street Duster ( the other 2 were track cars ) and I have what seems to be a easy question but being this is my 1st attempt at a LA engine A body I'd better ask. Will a 360/904 out of a 80's pickup fit in a 72 Duster? I know that it will physically fit but what I mean is I want to keep the P/S and A/C that's on the engine and my Duster has factory air but manual steering. I know I'm going to have to scrounge for a P/S gearbox at Pick-N-Pull. The car is a slant 6 now but I want to keep the A/C and add the P/S. Also I've been scouting aftermarket intakes and they all have a footnote stating that rotary A/C compressor will not clear 1978-later applications. Is there an aftermarket intake without the crossover in it that will coexist with A/C?

You are going to have to have lines made probably but it should work. As for the intake and A/C, I'm not sure but I have seen it done.

Can't help with the intake question. But you will need a different oil pan and pickup. Also, the slant six motor mounts/crossmember won't work. You can get a car pan and pickup at pick and pull. Motor mount conversions can be bought through shumaker for less than $300.

Should have added that I already have a LA K-Member, my bad. If I would have known that I was going this route I could have had a complete 360 out of a taxi cab for 100 bucks. Hindsight...
:eek:ops:
I'll reconfigure a part of my original question, does anyone here have a 360 with air and if so what intake are you running?

Should have added that I already have a LA K-Member, my bad. If I would have known that I was going this route I could have had a complete 360 out of a taxi cab for 100 bucks. Hindsight...
:eek:ops:
I'll reconfigure a part of my original question, does anyone here have a 360 with air and if so what intake are you running?
> I hope you changed-out the torsion bars, when you were in there ? Brake up grade and anti roll bar, might be wise also. Power rack and Pinion, from a Dakota? Good Luck, Ateam.:clock:

haven't acquired torsion bars yet nor a roll bar. That stuff is on the short list after I make a roller/driver out of it. Didn't know anything about rack and pinion from a Dakota. We got a wrecked Dakota on the yard too!

To the best of my knowledge, the standard Edelbrock Performer #2176 or #3776 (not Air Gap, or RPM) is the only aftermarket aluminum manifold that has the offset water neck to work with the late style AC Compressor. I can take a pic of it if you like. I have one on a 318 in my garage.
Other than that, it's factory iron manifolds, usually found on vans, pickups and land yachts.
If you look at the pic you can see the neck is offset left to clear the late compressor.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/company/10pdf/76-78.pdf
Oh look, a head on shot, right here on FABO.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=65349

Alan

thanks Alan. I sent an E-mail to Eddy a few days ago, no response yet. The old "iron dog" aint gonna fly. I gotta find a way to skin this cat (even though its turning out to be a Mountain Lion!).

Theres one more Edelbrock intake that will work, the TorkerII has the offset thermostat and dual housing bolt holes for big or small stat.

I have one for sale, if your interested in it........PM me. It's rated from 2500 - 6500 rpm. Clean, nothing striped.

I got my P/S box from autozone, sittin on a shelf.

-
Back