Hey guys I need some help

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok guys im 18 and in my last year in high school. Right now I am taking an automotive class for 3 hrs of the school day. Not bragging but I am one of the only kid in the class who knows anything about cars. My teacher was a Master tech for Chrysler for 45 years and a Forman he retired and is now teaching in the automotive program. He had me make a resume and he sent it to the dealership I got a call from them for a interview and I am going to do it. He said he recommend me so I most likely have the job he said.
Now this is cool and a good thing but I don't want to be stuck at a dealership my whole life. I have been looking at automotive collages like UTI,WYO and I don't like them. I got to looking at the Hot Rod Institute that's a really cool school but to have a job after you have to find a speed shop. I like SAM school of automotive machinist I really like this school and would like to get into this field.

What do you guys think has anyone heard of this school.

My cousin went to SAM in Houston, he really liked it and many guys he went to school with got cool jobs across the country. My cousin had an interview at Petty Enterprises but never got any automotive jobs after school.

UTI is near me and pretty damn expensive and I see a lot of their students end up at jiffy lube. I hope they aren't staying there after paying all of that $. If you learn diesel and electrical you will have a job for life and can pretty much write your own ticket. I've never heard of a diesel mechanic being out of work

I would say,give it a go at the dealership. This way,you get a taste of the career. You can always go to school a year or so later.

UTI is near me and pretty damn expensive and I see a lot of their students end up at jiffy lube. I hope they aren't staying there after paying all of that $. If you learn diesel and electrical you will have a job for life and can pretty much write your own ticket. I've never heard of a diesel mechanic being out of work

I really like diesel so that is a field I make go in or heating and air

Good onya for having a go at it!
Hope that you get the nod for the dealership job.
It should give you a clear understanding of that side of things and then you can decide whether to go on with it or look for a different branch.

All good advice above, but ultimately YOU have to make your choice.

Probably a good idea to choose something where you have options if you don't like it????

Good Luck whichever way you go!:cheers:

My son graduated from UTI with 3.9 GPA and can't fix a car. Too much bookwork, not enough hands on training. He is not happy with what he learned. WYO Tech has better hands on training.

I would say,give it a go at the dealership. This way,you get a taste of the career. You can always go to school a year or so later.

x2

I waited 5 years before going to school and actually changed my interest to a totally different field and I love what I do. You are young and have a lot of time to decide...

Go to the interview. Tell them you want to go to school also. They may work around your schedule. Also it is good experience being interviewed. That will help you in future as well. You may find out after wrenching for a living is not the way you want to go as well. Hope this helps.

My youngest son Matt, graduated from HS in 2004.in his senior year, through a tech program , he did an internship at Mercedes Benz of Annapolis. He went straight to UTI in Houston for 72 weeks after HS. He said it was Mostly hand on there. They also require you to to be employed somewhere in the area while going to UTI. I guess that builds discipline. After UtI, Mercedes Benz sent him to Chicago for training for 6 months. When he got home he was employed at Mercedes Benz of Annapolis. He was there for 7 years. He just gave them his notice two weeks ago. Matt is working now , part time for a friend of his, installing and servicing whole house generators, so he can get health care. The main thing is , that he is using our Shop at home to service his base of Benz customers that he has cultivated over the years.(probably 25 Benz owners). The goal is for me to help him secure a shop/building and equipment to get him out on his own within a year. I will help him along and make sure he understands the business/administrative side of things so he does't fail. If you have the will, ( and it sounds like you do ), go for it. No telling where it can lead you.

You may not like my opinionated answer but here goes... Forget auto mechanics especially the performance genre for anything more than temporary employment and hobby. Every form of auto racing is dying. Sad but true.
Manual and CNC machining is the way to go. A good well rounded machinist can make engine parts, turbine parts, any parts.
I found it to be a very comfortable blend of technical use you brain, wrench turning mechanical aptitude, great pay, challenging/rewarding, less hand washing.
High demand field world wide too.
I did just enough grinding to find its more an art than a trained skill.
I mentioned that because I expect that's what SAM is attempting to teach. They can teach the basics of grinding but a great knowledge of grinding can only come from a lifetime of experience.

"The goal is for me to help him secure a shop/building and equipment to get him out on his own within a year. I will help him along and make sure he understands the business/administrative side of things so he does't fail. If you have the will, ( and it sounds like you do ), go for it. No telling where it can lead you.

^ This is excellent info here. There are countless numbers of people highly skilled in their trade / profession that have gone out on their own and failed at being in business. It takes more than the average person has to succeed in business. Most will fail. Good luck with whatever you decide, sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Life is good when you enjoy what you do for a living. That said, you also have to put food on the table at the end of the day. If cars/mechanics interest you, I'd give the dealership a real good try. You'll learn lots, you can branch into specializing in whatever interests you (electrical, transmissions, etc), and trust me, if you have the talent and skill, you will always be able to find a job. Manufacturer/dealership training is worth alot in the job market. At the very least, this job sounds like a 'bird in the hand'. Help you save up to pay for future training.

Just my $.02

I have a friend that went to work for a dealership as a auto body man. He stayed there for years then went into business for himself. He has been very successful. I would recommend working at the dealership. You have your foot in the door, and that says a lot in the current economy. If you do good there, who knows. At least with them you will be factory trained and certified.

This might sound weird but if I don't do automotive jobs I would like to be a firefighter.

I would recommend not trying to make a living at your hobby. Get the best education you can afford and find a good job. The money to pursue your hobby will follow with a good job. The benefits that come with a good job cost more than you could afford by being self employed. Car guys that do custom work and make tons of money are few and far between and your chances of hacking it are as difficult as playing pro sports. Remember most employers will pay for your advanced education as a write off as long as it loosely follows your job description. Try to get at least a Bachelors degree in something. If firefighting appeals to you go to college and get a degree in Law Enforcement and go into Public Safety. PS is becoming the "in" occupation across the country. Public Safety Officers are cops, paramedics and firefighters. Once your a cop your employer will send you to first responder school and firefighter school. You'll be far more employable than just the one trade. Then find a small safe town to work in and you'll have it made. Remember my advice is worth what you paid for it. Dan

another good thing about being a deisel mechanic is most parts are large and you don't need the hands of a child to work on them like you do on most cars now days.

The machine shop I use has only hired SAM graduates to do his stuff....well with the exception that I worked for him for several months....under the table cash, lol.

He's a former JEG'S prostock engine tuner/dyno guy :)

Also, while I was a Senior in H.S. I looked into Lincoln Tech in Lima, OH. Seemed like they had an awesome facility. Had there own circle track and if I remember correct, there own 60ft test strip. The president at the time, I found out, had grown up the next town over from my hometown in IL.....which was pretty cool. I met him at the Lincoln Tech High School Drag Races in Indy that year. Was enrolled, never went due to financial reasons :( You know how the system is....Single dad raising 3 kids but made too much money for financial aid.

I would go to school, If you put it off then you wont go, a dealership I would not recommend, and that because most guys have been there for 10,15,20+ years, you will be the bottom man of the pole, and get crap for work and just get you depressed! start in a Small repair shop and go in there with the mind set as free education!!! Go in there and listen soak everything in and don't go in there acting like you know everything, the old guys know a lot of crap and will give you some knowledge a school cant give you!! the more hands on you can get the better off you are, diesel work is where the money is yes, but just focus on one thing, get your computer skills in order in which that's where the market is going to, branch off learn it all, One thing about it what you learn nobody can ever take away from you!! Hope this helps good luck PAL!!!

Hey 1973dusterkid, you have some very good help here on how folks have used their educations and life experiences so pay attention.

Me I did computers and high end computer networks for a living for a very large computer software company where I live and have been relearning automotive stuff I forgot over the years and asking lots of questions on the forums.

One piece of advice I would suggest is take some typing classes and some computer classes to hone your hand and mental skills.

Good Luck on whatever you decide and do it with pride and gusto! (And I agree with Krypto, don't get married for a long time!)

Cheers and Blessings.

Its just weird because I was a freshmen and was ready to leave and now im here I still want to leave just don't know how.

Just my .02

I went through high school building my Dart and i loved it. But then i took my love for building cars and converted it to being a Mechanical Engineering major. The background of being a motorhead has helped me a lot in many different ways. Its a good field and a lot of stuff transfers over. Hoping to get a job at a car company after i graduate. Just do whatever you feel is right

-
Back