-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have been talking to a guy about a 4 speed but cant figure it out

The guy says it a 4 speed but I think its a overdrive

The number on the side c 99386

Is there a table with numbers I can show him

The Overdrive four speed was a regular A-833 with an overdriven gear set installed in place of the regular third gear. The shift lever on the side cover was flipped over to "fool" the shifter into shifting from second to fourth and then back into third, which was the overdrive gear. The overdrive gear is very small and as a result, the mainshaft journal and splined hub is smaller. You can swap OD 833 parts as a set into the correct case for the mainshaft.Slant Six owners have two bell housing options to mate G/RG blocks to 833s. The original 1964-66 Slant Six four speed bell housing is a great candidate and accepts any A-833 with a 4.35" IBR profile. These units were all cast iron. While these bell housings are becoming increasingly hard to come by, the inspection plate, dust shield, clutch fork, and fork boot can all be swapped-over from a Sixties G/RG with an A-903 three speed. The casting numbers for the early cast iron bell housings are 2463025, 2463027, and 2468431.A much cheaper and plentiful bell housing to use is the 1975-81 A-833 Overdrive Slant Six bell housing. The upshot of this bell housing is that it is cast aluminum, the downside is that it only accepts A-833s with 5.125" IBR profiles. When looking for donor vehicles in salvage yards, don't' walk past late seventies slant six three speed cars. Chrysler used the same bell housing for both A-833 Overdrives and three speeds by placing both bolt patterns on the same bell housing. A casting number for this bell housing is 3743645. (This is a 1975 number, no doubt later bell housings used other numbers.) The Overdrive bell housings use a unique clutch fork mount that you will not find on regular three speed or four speed bell housings. Make sure you keep track of the correct fork and its mounting stand that bolts inside of the bell housing!
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/3speed-info-swaps/3-speed-swaps.htm

Who has the gearbox? Starting in neutral, twist the front shifter clockwise. This puts the box into 3rd gear (4 speed) or the OD gear if it's an OD

Then just twist the input shaft one turn and watch the tail. If it turns more than one turn, its and OD, if less than one turn, it's a 4 speed.

What would you guys pay for this

a833 trans non od
4 speed pedals
340 flywheel
junk clutch/pres plate
new rebuild hurst shifter(rebuild buy yearone)
Shifter linkages
Bellhousing
some other small parts

what is he asking for it tranny looks old might need rebuild would hate to pay to much throw it in then have to pull it out and rebuild it

By the looks of the transmission, green fungus growing on it, it has sit outside for a couple of years, consider it a core that needs rebuilding.
$500.00 max for everything, and plan to put another $300.00 in the trans if you can rebuild it yourself.

I talk to the same guy 1973dusterkid he told me its a stadard 4 speed dae code october 1970.It looks to be a standard 4 speed.I think its worth maybe 600 or so at most.He also said the parts been sitting in a building for 5 years.

Shifter alone $250, trans maybe $400 depending how it looks inside, so around $600 sounds fair to me, but I never pay full price for anything!

-
Back