hi all

-
Ok got the Idea. Sounds like fun.
My dad had a fiberglass shop back in my teens around 1973 and we made dune buggy's out of VW bugs. My job was to take the body off the bug and cut the floor pan to make it shorter and then assemble the new fiber glass body on.
That was lots of fun, I would put a 5 gallon bucket for a seat and drive the VW floor pan and running gear in the field next to the shop, yea and fell off the bucket a few times. My dad let me do a lot of good stuff and I miss him lots.
Yes my dad was a big influence on me and how I turned out (so is that a good thing? Lol). I worked for/with him most of my life until cancer took him from us at age 64 nearly 8 years ago now. We all miss him greatly so I feel your pain.
Regards, neil

this evening i resolved the 7/16 l/h thread wheelnut issue. no, i didn't buy any new nuts. i bought a set of 3 l/h thread taps and 'made' my own. i recently found 20 3/8 unf chrome wheelnuts when looking for something else and with no use for nuts so small advertised them for sale. so now i have 10 for sale as once the 3/8 thread is drilled out they can be easily tapped to the needed 7/16 l/h thread. i did this on a 'c' body fury a few years ago but to 1/2 l/h thread so knew the procedure well. anyway i now have the nuts i need and the taps for future use. neil.

Yes my dad was a big influence on me and how I turned out (so is that a good thing? Lol). I worked for/with him most of my life until cancer took him from us at age 64 nearly 8 years ago now. We all miss him greatly so I feel your pain.
Regards, neil
Yep lost my dad the same way at about the same age but long time ago I'm gonna be 62 this year and gonna retire soon before I,m dead.
Keep us all posted on your car and if you can send pictures because that is better than words.

ok, pics. i finished rethreading the nuts tonight and destroyed the tap holder doing so. i first broke the ratchet 'guts' so disassembled it and built up a blob of weld on the centre shaft so it couldn't turn in the body. then the whole body broke into peices so i ground the blob off and just welded a socket to the end of the inner shaft. all done now and a 1/2" drive 't' bar does the job just fine.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

ok, pics. i finished rethreading the nuts tonight and destroyed the tap holder doing so. i first broke the ratchet 'guts' so disassembled it and built up a blob of weld on the centre shaft so it couldn't turn in the body. then the whole body broke into peices so i ground the blob off and just welded a socket to the end of the inner shaft. all done now and a 1/2" drive 't' bar does the job just fine.

View attachment 1715174000

View attachment 1715174001
welcome to the real world were things break all the time.
looks like you got it done.

finally all the wheels are on and i got my arch rolling tool out to give more clearance on the rears. all this is only temporary as the rear axle and wheels will be changed later along with converting the front to discs. but if i'm going to use it for a while stock it at least has to have a better set of wheels. also i got the indicators all working correctly and while i was under the front refitting the o/s light unit i levelled up the front bumper and wound the torsion bars up a bit to level out the stance.

finally all the wheels are on and i got my arch rolling tool out to give more clearance on the rears. all this is only temporary as the rear axle and wheels will be changed later along with converting the front to discs. but if i'm going to use it for a while stock it at least has to have a better set of wheels. also i got the indicators all working correctly and while i was under the front refitting the o/s light unit i levelled up the front bumper and wound the torsion bars up a bit to level out the stance.
Looks like you have been busy, glad you got the wheels on.
Got my tranny back in my scamp and is working great.
To day me and my son in law pulled the engine out of his chevy van getting ready to put a new one in. What a pain in the back side that was.

glad your tranny's ok.
chevy van? yep changed/removed a few motors in them and they are very tight. good luck with that.
todays progress, the screen washers are sorted. i had to source some rubber pipe, a 't' piece and a container of some sort. the pipe was in the boot, aircon vacuum hose. the 't' came from a scrap mercedes on my drive and the bottle was a fuel mixing bottle from a 2 stroke strimmer. use what you have i say. time to book an mot tomorrow. neil.

glad your tranny's ok.
chevy van? yep changed/removed a few motors in them and they are very tight. good luck with that.
todays progress, the screen washers are sorted. i had to source some rubber pipe, a 't' piece and a container of some sort. the pipe was in the boot, aircon vacuum hose. the 't' came from a scrap mercedes on my drive and the bottle was a fuel mixing bottle from a 2 stroke strimmer. use what you have i say. time to book an mot tomorrow. neil.
Not sure what you are doing but under stand finding scrap parts to put it together.

some more pics. the washers are the plungy rubber pedal type that old cars have (above dipswitch in pic). you can make out 'fuel mixing bottle' on my washer bottle. it'll do 'til i find a bag type to fit. last 2 pics 'cos i like it
icon_mrgreen.gif

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

I sent the paperwork off to the dvla today to get the valiant registered. I can't wait to drive it. I'll get some better pics once it's outside too. Neil.

great news, my v5c (registration document) arrived today for the valiant. i'm well chuffed and can't wait to drive it now. i ordered some number plates but can't wait so made some temporary ones for now. i had a bit of ally sheet left from my anglia gasser build so thought that'll do. it's old so the backing won't peel of so had to be scraped off. a bit of sanding and a quick scotchbrite saw the area i needed looking much better. then an offcut of carbon vinyl wrap from work was applied, then some masking tape so i could draw the numbers/letters on. i only measured the widths and height, the rest was freehand as was the cutting out with a one sided razor blade. they look ok in a wonky sort of way but are just fine 'til the new ones arrive. best of all they were free
icon_biggrin.gif
i just need to cut them out tomorrow (bit late now for the grinder) and fit them so i can drive it this weekend. woohoo!!!!

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

today i had a tidy up in the garage, uncovered the car from under all the crap that had been stacked over it and had a swap round. i had to move the 2 mercs, get it out, put the merc estate inside and the valiant and scrap merc back on the drive. the scrap one's going wednesday so i'll have a bit more room but at least i can use the valiant now
eusa_dance.gif

it's amazing the difference a set of wheels makes to a car
icon_wink.gif

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

IMG_0003 (1).JPG

Looks good mygasser.
nothing better than taking the old girls for a drive.
Just got back home with my scamp went to the lake and back and having problems with my gear vendor overdrive it keeps popping out of overdrive so gonna check the wiring.

Looks good mygasser.
nothing better than taking the old girls for a drive.
Just got back home with my scamp went to the lake and back and having problems with my gear vendor overdrive it keeps popping out of overdrive so gonna check the wiring.
thanks fred, i'll be using it for work now too.
your o/d will only be something silly, those gear vendors units are pretty bulletproof.
neil.

thanks fred, i'll be using it for work now too.
your o/d will only be something silly, those gear vendors units are pretty bulletproof.
neil.
Good to here Neil I drive mine back and forth to work a lot also.
Yea the over drive has been real good to me so far but have had the same problem on and off since I had it installed about 4,000 miles ago I'm gonna call the tek line tomarrow.

i took it to work today, runs fine. tracking needs a tweek with the front raised and it needs a blanket over the seat so i don't get covered in seat fluff every time i drive it but other than that i'm chuffed to bits with it
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

It's fine now, the wife gave me a 'matching'? Fluffy purple blanket. At least the fluff stays put this time. I'll have to get my finger out and fit the leather Scorpio seats I guess. So much to do, so little time.

It's fine now, the wife gave me a 'matching'? Fluffy purple blanket. At least the fluff stays put this time. I'll have to get my finger out and fit the leather Scorpio seats I guess. So much to do, so little time.
Yes and if I have time I have no money to work on it.

-
Back