Hi from Aus! 1966 VC Valiant cruiser

-

vc318

Reaction score
Howdy guys
Here from Australia
This is my VC Valiant I've had for close to six months now.
These cars were released from the factory with a slant 6 and 273 v8
xpo3no.jpg

ra5ix1.jpg

11sh5vm.jpg

I've decided to remove the slant 6 and go the 318 route. I had a 318 and 904 trans sitting at my old mans house, so why not.
Shifted all the engine and trans to my house last week ready to strip it down and set myself a cleanish work area.

hsrotk.jpg

Got stuck into it, removed the stock intake manifold (fkn thing felt like it weighed almost as much as one of the heads !!) and it looked in reasonable nick to be honest. Motor was bought 3 years ago as a rebuilt motor. Had been sitting for 5 years previously.

919tmq.jpg

Pulled the left side head off, everything looked in reasonable nick, found a heap of carbon on top of the pistons, bores looked ok, can still see some cross hatching.
Reading up on the casting numbers for this engine, it appears its from a 1977-1979 Chrysler.

2e58qb7.jpg

Pulled #7 rod cap off and found some unusual discoloration on the bearing. Thoughts? Because the motor has been sitting in one position? Also noticed rod cap had been stamped with #7 on it, which would think it has been rebuilt at some point?

sqmt4x.jpg

Removing the right head revealed a few more issues I'm hoping I can get away with a .030 rebore, if the block is within limits and hasn't had too much taken off previously (if any at all)

2ptwhzm.jpg

Complete short block is currently at away being inspected, measured etc. Awaiting an autopsy result.
Would like to stick with the factory 318 heads if I can. Thinking of retaining stock intake valve (1.78") and maybe upgrading the exhaust valves to 360ci size (1.5 vs 1.6"). I've read upsizing the intake valve can hurt port velocity and flow at low lift.

Don't really wanna go down the edelbrock aftermarket head route (at this stage $$$$$$)

My plan for it

- Bring the compression up. Ideally 9.5 or 10.1:1. Can buy Keith Black pistons. There are two variations, one set give a +5cc head volume increase
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...roducts_id=521

or another set which are domed -6cc if I really wanna bump the compression up. All very dependent on how much is/can be milled from the heads to reduce the cc volume.
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...oducts_id=3087

- Looking at a comp cam xe268, appear to be very popular with these motors. Is a hydraulic flat tappet. Not interested in a solid or hydraulic roller. Will need to determine pushrod length with the new cam to get the best rocker arm geometry. Will also be dialing in the cam.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=627&sb=2

- Have an Edelbrock LD4B 4 barrel manifold here, should work fine.
- Maybe a street demon carb? 650cfm or thereabouts. Down the track go with FiTech injection.
- Something with the ignition system, MSD etc.
- Built 904 with a Transgo TF2 shift reprogramme kit, 22-2400rpm stall.
- Aiming for between 320-350hp.
- Extractors etc
- Something with the diff down the track. Currently 3.23.

Aiming to do 90% of the work myself. Been a long time since I've built a motor and trans, so will be taking it slowly, measure twice cut once as they say.

Should make for a nice cruiser when done
Any suggestions welcome

Cheers
Andrew

Welcome to FABO! Love the Australian A bodies! Keep us updated on your progress!

Good looking car! A 1.88 intake will help overall, not hurt port velocity.

Cheers for the comments fellas!

Spoke with Moyle Engineering, block is in good nick, has already been bored .030", cylinder walls have .003" wear, so they would like to hone it to .040".

Crank has already been machined down .010" on the main and .010" on the rod bearing journals and looks to be in great nick.

Cam bearings look good, but they will get replaced as the block needs a hot tank, the coolant galleries are a bit gunky, they suggested from sitting around

Nice VC there Andrew. I can see you are in SA ( I am also) Have you looked into what you need to do, to get it passed at Regency for the 318? Not being a factory option, it needs to go through Regency. I have a VF Hardtop that has a 318 but thinking of going a 360 but again, would need to go through Regency to approve it :(

If you are looking for a nice mild cam, I have for sale a new in box Lunati Voodoo as Ive decided to go a little bigger. https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1544&gid=287

Inbox me if you're interested.

Pics speak a thousand words so here we go
Final specs are
- 318 +.040" (3.95" bore)
- block zero decked
- aeroflow alloy heads
- comp cams xe268 hydr flat tappet
- keith black 167 pistons
- compression came in around the 9.5-9.7:1
- 273 adjustable rocker gear w/ 4k pushrods
with a 2100rpm stall converter
- LD4B
- Holley 600cfm Vac secondaries

IMG_3004.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3033.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG
View attachment 1715155435
IMG_3062.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_3403.JPG.jpg

The aeroflow heads needed work out of the box
- exhaust valve seats weren't cut enough, making the valve stem tips uneven heights (5-7mm)
- some seats needed to be recut
- some valves had to be recut, weren't sealing correctly
- some valves were that tight in the guides they were surprised they were able to get them in at all
- valve spring rates didn't reflect what was advertised, told I would've wiped my hydraulic cam lobe.
Still worked out cheaper than Edelbrocks.

Got the Slant out
IMG_3460.JPG.jpg

And the small block in!
IMG_3491.JPG.jpg

Been on the road since about Feb last year, then sat parked up from June till November whilst I was in the process of moving house/building house.
Still running standard exhaust manifolds but recently bought some block huggers for it. Converted it back to a viscous fan setup, wasn't happy with the electric fan setup I had, the way it looked and the load it put on the factory electrical system.

The factory Chrylser Valiant CL/CM 318 viscous hub was too long and fouled against the radiator, a bit of research on this site and I found out this unit is shorter with the same flange pattern as the mopar water pump flange. It's off a Jaguar, of all things!
Hayden Fan Clutches 2765

All fitted up with sufficient clearance from the radiator
IMG_4742.JPG

Just a really nice cruiser, doesn't overheat and it's easy to drive. It is registered with the V8 and on historic rego also.
Next plans? Well I still have a nicer front bench seat to put in, and will replace the interior carpet at the same time. Fitech fuel injection would be nice down the track also.
Here's a vid of it running

Last edited:
Hi Andrew

Bloody nice work you've don't there. How did you go with rego through Regency for the 318? Did it need a full inspection or engineering?

Cheers

Hi Andrew

Bloody nice work you've don't there. How did you go with rego through Regency for the 318? Did it need a full inspection or engineering?

Cheers

No engineering, just fill in the engine change paperwork, I’ve fitted Chrysler by Chrysler disc brakes up front, and I put that on the paperwork, they were happy enough with that and just registered it with the v8. Anything bigger needs an engineers report. How’s yours going after all this time mate?

Andrew

Hi Andrew
So regency didn't need to see the car at all? Did you have to list that the engine was modified? Do you know if there is a percentage they work on to allow bigger engines? As my VF has a 318 and its a factory option, I hope that I can get away with a 360 in the manner you did.

I haven't barely touched the car in over a year due to having a bub and taking up all my time. I am currently measuring up a Falcon diff to have shortened to fit my wheel under the rear, 15x8 with 3.5 back space and a 255 tyre.

Cheers

Hi Andrew
So regency didn't need to see the car at all? Did you have to list that the engine was modified? Do you know if there is a percentage they work on to allow bigger engines? As my VF has a 318 and its a factory option, I hope that I can get away with a 360 in the manner you did.

I haven't barely touched the car in over a year due to having a bub and taking up all my time. I am currently measuring up a Falcon diff to have shortened to fit my wheel under the rear, 15x8 with 3.5 back space and a 255 tyre.

Cheers

No Regency didn't need to see it, as it came with a 273ci V8 as an option and the increase in size to 318ci only warranted a Disc brake front end change (279mm) I think the Chrysler by Chrysler discs measure 282mm.
Your best bet will be to contact Vehicle Standards and ask the question. Have you thought about a stroker 318.....still a 318 block ;)
If you change the diff, I believe you will need to get the car inspected if the measurements are outside of 1420-1460mm. Stock, R series - VG are 1452mm

No Regency didn't need to see it, as it came with a 273ci V8 as an option and the increase in size to 318ci only warranted a Disc brake front end change (279mm) I think the Chrysler by Chrysler discs measure 282mm.
Your best bet will be to contact Vehicle Standards and ask the question. Have you thought about a stroker 318.....still a 318 block ;)
If you change the diff, I believe you will need to get the car inspected if the measurements are outside of 1420-1460mm. Stock, R series - VG are 1452mm

So I assume you didn't tell them about the engine mods then? as when I asked about it, they said it would then require inspection. Im tempted to just say its standard engine spec 360 and see how I go. Im in the middle of fitting up BA Falcon brakes front and rear to mine and the diff will be cut down to 1360mm. I can't find any listings for track requirements for per 1970 cars so maybe it doesn't cover mine being a 1969. Looks like I need to ring vehicle standards again but it seems I get slightly differing answers each time. Ive been told they only allow 15% increase in power over the largest factory option and that very easy to do, thats means a stock 318 just sneaks in for your VC.

So I assume you didn't tell them about the engine mods then? as when I asked about it, they said it would then require inspection. Im tempted to just say its standard engine spec 360 and see how I go. Im in the middle of fitting up BA Falcon brakes front and rear to mine and the diff will be cut down to 1360mm. I can't find any listings for track requirements for per 1970 cars so maybe it doesn't cover mine being a 1969. Looks like I need to ring vehicle standards again but it seems I get slightly differing answers each time. Ive been told they only allow 15% increase in power over the largest factory option and that very easy to do, thats means a stock 318 just sneaks in for your VC.

The thing is its a 318, it's not a big power house, it has a mild cam and bumped up mild compression ratio. How would they be able to define if I have increased power at all? From the noise? (not trying to be aggressive or a dick)
At the time I submitted my paperwork to Regency, the motor was standard... Comprende....

The car is a 1966 VC Valiant, so it doesn't really matter what engine mods are done in terms of cam, heads, intake, carby as it's all pre 1969 before the first ADR came out. Get around the 1974 onwards mark, then yes they crack down on engine mods.
That's why alot of guys mod Monaro's and Falcon's. Now with this new left hand drive law, I've heard of Camaro's going through with tubs and big motors, where as before they had to be standard.
I'm not sure anyone is 100% truthful when it comes to providing the facts to Regency. I'm sure there's been plenty of stroker motors go through using a standard engine block.
I have info regarding diff size at work I'll share with you tomorrow, essentially if you fit that diff and put it on the paperwork, they will make you have an inspection. Are you tubbing it as well?
The person you need to speak to at Regency in vehicle standards is Jason B or Dave G, they will set you straight.
Do you have the 360 already? If you wanna avoid the headache, I think you should consider a stroker to 318/392. Stock block with goodies inside and 32ci more than a 360.

The thing is its a 318, it's not a big power house, it has a mild cam and bumped up mild compression ratio. How would they be able to define if I have increased power at all? From the noise? (not trying to be aggressive or a dick)
At the time I submitted my paperwork to Regency, the motor was standard... Comprende....

The car is a 1966 VC Valiant, so it doesn't really matter what engine mods are done in terms of cam, heads, intake, carby as it's all pre 1969 before the first ADR came out. Get around the 1974 onwards mark, then yes they crack down on engine mods.
That's why alot of guys mod Monaro's and Falcon's. Now with this new left hand drive law, I've heard of Camaro's going through with tubs and big motors, where as before they had to be standard.
I'm not sure anyone is 100% truthful when it comes to providing the facts to Regency. I'm sure there's been plenty of stroker motors go through using a standard engine block.
I have info regarding diff size at work I'll share with you tomorrow, essentially if you fit that diff and put it on the paperwork, they will make you have an inspection. Are you tubbing it as well?
The person you need to speak to at Regency in vehicle standards is Jason B or Dave G, they will set you straight.
Do you have the 360 already? If you wanna avoid the headache, I think you should consider a stroker to 318/392. Stock block with goodies inside and 32ci more than a 360.

Yeah sorry, Im not trying to be a smart arse about it, just trying to work out how to best tackle it.

I have a 318 complete but not running and 360 block sitting here to choose from. Was looking at stroker 360 as more piston options and cheaper. I have the same heads as you and an Eddie RPM air gap manifold, Lunati roller rockers and cam kit ( although might go bigger cam ) sitting here to be used on either block. Will also use Fitech injection.

No, not tubbing it only offset spring hangers being used. Ill call them again tomorrow for a chat but might just list it as a stock 360 and not mention the diff, although with the diff width and rims I'm using, the track only changes less than 10mm.

Id appreciate the info on diff sizes if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Cheers Andrew. I rang Regency and yep, as my diff will be down to 1360mm I do need it to be engineered, along with the BA Falcon front brake conversion. I didn't even mentioned the 360 at that point.

I have now contacted an engineer with my plan of mods to get an outline of fees to get it engineered withe the above and the 360 to 408 stroker, see how I go.

Hi Andrew. Im just running over the engine conversion again and remember you saying that Regency didn't need to see the car, did you have to take it to a Police station for the engine number change or do you just fill out a form with the 318 engine number and take that to the rego office?

Thanks

Hi Andrew. Im just running over the engine conversion again and remember you saying that Regency didn't need to see the car, did you have to take it to a Police station for the engine number change or do you just fill out a form with the 318 engine number and take that to the rego office?

Thanks

Hey mate, from memory I filled in this form
https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets...ation-to-Alter-Vehicle-or-Trailer-Details.pdf
Once it was filled in I took it to Service SA, they then submit it to vehicle standards for review.
Basically as mine is a 318, only needed to upgrade the brakes, which were CH Chrysler by Chrysler
Decided which engine you’re going to fit?

Andrew

Hey Andrew

I really want to fit the 360 but don't want the hassle of an inspection at Regency at all, so not sure which way to go.
If Regency didn't want yours over the pits, did they want it at the ID Inspection to confirm the engine number at all?

Thanks

081F5AC7-94A5-43C8-B453-5989D6EB7FB3.jpeg
Update on this, motor is running real strong, I fitted a Holley Sniper unit and it’s running better than ever. Fuel delivery wise I have fitted a 1.8L under car surge tank that is fed with a lift pump via the standard tank. The surge tank utilises an overflow into the fuel filler neck also.
Replaced the bench seat and carpets also

Andrew

Last edited:
Running the sniper is a nice upgrade to the carb hey ! You running the timing control or stand alone ? Nice ride man she looks pretty clean .

-
Back