Hi, new guy here

-

nothingface5384

Reaction score
I'm Mike and i'm 27 with a bad car problem lol. I'm comming from gm and ford cars. I'm looking st getting a dart sport/duster or demon.

Just have a quick question..

I know of a 75 dart sport for cheap slant6,904, 7 1/4? rear..needs some panels patches but.

are you able to make it look like a 71-72 demon?

just would need demon tail panel and new hood/grille/fenders/bumper
and possible new side markers and headlight buckets/bezles?

project name will be dubbed "Deception" wont go into the details till I actually purchase the 75

Thanks in advance
Mike

I'm Mike and i'm 27 with a bad car problem lol. I'm comming from gm and ford cars. I'm looking st getting a dart sport/duster or demon.

Just have a quick question..

I know of a 75 dart sport for cheap slant6,904, 7 1/4? rear..needs some panels patches but.

are you able to make it look like a 71-72 demon?

just would need demon tail panel and new hood/grille/fenders/bumper
and possible new side markers and headlight buckets/bezles?

project name will be dubbed "Deception" wont go into the details till I actually purchase the 75

Thanks in advance
Mike

Welcome to the world of MOPAR!!! Nice to see someone up-grading from those brand X cars...

There is an amazing braintrust on this site that can and will (gladly) answer virtually any question you need to have answered about Mopars, and a few weirdos like me, who contend that the best bang for your buck will come from a hi-boost slant six (500+ horsepwer) rather than swapping in a small block V8. That '75 car already HAS the engine of choice... /6.

Talk about "deception..." LOL!!!

Ask away; the gang here is friendly and more than willing to share in the expertise...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

welcome welcome yes the dart sports/duster/demons all can be switched around fairley easy with swap out parts If you go with a 1971 demon then you will have to do some body work on the rear quarters to fit the flush mount rear markers, however if you go with the 1972 demon there is no need to change the marker seeing as they are the same from 1972-1976 the front clip is as mentioned before 1971 has flush markers and the 1972 does not the grille is the only other noticible thing thats diffrenet between the years I believe the bumper may have changed

Thanks guys, not totally sure if i'll go ahead with the partial clone, i just like the 71-72 front ends a tad better rear tail panel/bumper i'm not really worried about

lol and yea a turbos 225 would be cool

the guy on the other side of my neighborhood wants about 400 to 500 more then what he'll see..
hes asking a 1000 for a slant 6 that needs body work, brake work..
i''ll probably call him up next week and bring a battery to see how well it runs

it'll defiantly be getting a mini-tub and a certain non factory engine in due time:-D

Welcome to the world on MOPAR!!! Nice to see someone up-grading from those brand X cars...

There is an amazing braintrust on this site that can and will (gladly) answer virtually any question you need to have answered about Mopars, and a few weirdos like me, who contend that the best bang for your buck will come from a hi-boost slant six (500+ horsepwer) rather than swapping in a small block V8. That '75 car already HAS the engine of choice... /6.

Talk about "deception..." LOL!!!

Ask away; the gang here is friendly and more than willing to share in the expertise...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

what are you running, blow through or efi, and I take it a custom turbo manifold?

what are you running, blow through or efi, and I take it a custom turbo manifold?

Blow-thru seems to work well, although I have heard that you can actually make more horsepower with a draw-thru system. The trouble with a draw-thru system seems to me, to be that if you put a carburetor at the head of a draw-thru system, and then run that mixture through an intercooler, you have the potential for a sizeable explosion in the event of a backfire, should an intake valve hang open. KA-BOOM... Lots of combustible mixture in that induction tract...

So, in the real world of street-driven cars, the draw-thru has few takers.

Our system is a blow-thru, which is pretty popular right now, with several carb companies offering modified carbs for blow-thru applications, or there are instructionals available online, should you want to make the metering circuit modifications, yourself. Of course efi is always a possibility should you want to go that route. I don't know anything about it, so my car is carbbed..

My racing partner and I elected to have someone else do the blow-thru mods for us, we being babes in the woods around carburetors.

He (my partner) built an elaborate header for the turbo, but that is not necessarily the right thing to do. Simply sawing off the original head-pipe flange from the stock, cast iron exhaust manifold and either adding a tubing 90-degree elbow with the turbo bolted to that (with the appropriate turbo mounting flange) or, welding that turbo mounting flange to the cast iron manifold and bolting the turbo directly to it (the exhaust manifold) seems to work about as well.

The intake manifold is no problem at all, as any aftermarket 4bbl manifold of practically any design seems to work equally as well. Used ones are always popping up on here, as well as ebay. Offenhauser, Clifford, Weiand, and Aussiespeed all have been making those 4bbl manifolds for years. They are in no way, rare or hard to find... Stay away from the long-runner Hurricane manifold; it's a really good manifold for normally-aspirated applications, but not for turbos.

There is a piston company (Wiseco) that works in conjunction with a rod manufacturer (K-1), that specializes in low-compression, turbo forged pistons for the slant 6, and they come with a special low-drag ring package, and have thick crowns so will stand lots of boost before giving up the ghost... You'll need forged pistons to run much more than 10 pounds of boost.... and believe me, boost is addictive... LOL!

Turbo slant sixes and their performance potential are a well-kept secret, but more and more are being built.. One fellow on this board has a '66 Valiant turbo /6 that runs mid-tens at 127 mph... and, I think that's fast enough to have a considerable amount of fun at the strip...
Here's a video...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]
My contention is that if you alreay have a car with a slant six in it, rather than swapping to a V8 for performance, it would be cheaper to build the turbo six... for the same performance level.

Food for thought....

Bill

that's awsome and i'm familiar with the various turbo carb setups/companies
I got a twin turbo sbb in the works..csu seem to be the best for blow through.

I always assumed draw through wouldn't make much power compared to blow through due to the turbo being after the intake....no pressurized air...rather sucked through the carb
..and of course the explosion you referred too along with gas getting into the turbos and possibly shortening the life of the turbos..

that's awsome and i'm familiar with the various turbo carb setups/companies
I got a twin turbo sbb in the works..csu seem to be the best for blow through.

I always assumed draw through wouldn't make much power compared to blow through due to the turbo being after the intake....no pressurized air...rather sucked through the carb
..and of course the explosion you referred too along with gas getting into the turbos and possibly shortening the life of the turbos..

I don't have any experience with draw-thru systems, but was basing my statement that they make more power on having read that in more than one place; can't verify it.

Buddy Ingersoll (NHRA racer) had a '71 Pinto with a 2-liter Ford 4 banger that had a draw-thru system, that had 1 4bbl Holley with no water/meth injection, that weighed 2,350 pounds. It managed to run some 9.70s at 135 mph in NHRA's (defunct) A/A Modified Compact class back in the eighties... amazing, I think.:toothy9:

Not wasting much time are you Bill?? :toothy9: Welcome to FABO....

Welcome to the site- and congrats on coming over to the right brand!!!

-
Back