HI-PO Exhaust manifolds or Dougs Headers?

-

AG340Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, In the process of restoring my 72 Swinger converting to a 340 4 speed, motor is pretty much stock except for purple cam, Edelbrock RPM and Demon 750. Got my hands on a mint set of 340 Hi-Po exhaust maniflds and also a perfect set of Dougs ceramic coated headers, now the age old question which set should i use? what do you think?
Thanks

It'll run better with the headers.

There are other issues that headers cause which the stock cast iron don't have. Clutch linkage with Dougs or tti headers can be fun to work around.

Headers radiate heat like a big dog too!.....so I'm not too wild about them for that reason. And when I have headers on my car, and they get dented on the bottom, I hate 'em. But.....both of my Cudas have headers. I've gotta go for max power.

So.......now you ready to sell me those manifolds?:toothy10:

If you want the most out of your combo and any mods you may do later on down the road go with the headers. Other than being easeyer to install there is no real up side to manifolds. A set of headers will make a lot more power than even a set of HI-PO's will.

The Dougs are one of the better fitting headers out there. I would use them.

All the A-body headers hang to low. If you enjoy leaning over the fender...
But thats just me. I dont enjoy raising the hood.

All the A-body headers hang to low

Not tti's or dougs,thats the beauty of them..now back to the original question.. if you already have the Dougs use them,headers over manifolds any day..

I like my stuff stock and original so for me the answer is easy. It comes down to what you want and what your car is as...daily driver, racer, cruiser, hot rod go with headers. Original looking, show car, no ground clearance issues use the manifolds.

I would run the manifolds easier to work around...headers always seem to leak or be in the way

I like manifolds where possible - way less issues.
Daryl

Are you going to take it to the track?

If no, then manifolds for sure.

just a sugestion put on a set of 340 HP manifolds from 69 thru 71...you willl be extremely surprized.....they flow exceptionaly well

Tell Him How Much Of The Suspension You Have To Take Apart To Get Those Headers In There.

I didnt realize i would have to dissasemble suspension are you sure about that?
I am sure you won't if they fit like the TTis but they will hang a little low just watch the side entrance to the Serious Coffee on Fisgard those are my grooves in the pavement- can't handle a short peak in the drive way { the southern back exit to the Douglas Cambodian Tire is the same problem } or the speed bumps at western for that matter I have to creep over them but the power and the sound make it worth the headaches 8)

If you're not going to go to the track, headers are not worth the trouble in my opinion. They make street driving worse. More heat in the engine compartment, a ton more noise, and you have to worry about dragging them on everything.

You usually have to take the steering linkage apart. Maybe not with the Dougs, but even with the TTi you do.

From this pic it looks like the tube that goes over the drag link is a slip connection, as well as #7 and #1. Who knows? You might get lucky.

dou-d450_w.jpg

If that's the way they work, I'm getting a set of Doug's when my Hookers have to come off for any reason.

Dougs headers don't hang low like the cheap hookers and headmans. They fit like the tti's. Plugs are easy to get to also.

I agree to my knowledge Dougs and TTI,s are the best build quality and fit available for A body's thats why i bought them.

If you buy Dougs or tti's you'll only have to undo the centerlink no big deal..and they both sit above the suspension ie: no hitting anything :cheers:

I don't know where some of you are getting this Dougs hang low stuff from. Its not true. They don't hang low at all and fit very well. These are not the Summit 99.00 junk headers.

After many hours of contemplation i have decided to go with the Dougs headers after test fitting them i realized how nice the fit and finish is on them, the only disadvantage is having to play with the zbar to clear not to worried about that. I will be posting this set of 69 HI-Po manifolds at some point i dont think there is many sets in this condition avalible out there any more havent seen a nice set on Ebag for some time.... hmmm mabey i should keep instead?

-
Back