Hidden Radio Help

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Ive eliminated my radio location and replaced it with gauges. I want to still use a radio (some kind of aftermarket) so I hope to build a shelf in the glove box so its out of sight. Was wondering what others have done to place a radio out of sight and also what options do I have for an antenna other then a stock one for on the fender. Are there ones that would just be a wire that I could run on the inside of the windshield? I plan on using an auxiliary device for recorded music most of the time.
Please post pics of what you have done.
Thanks
Rodney

Mine would not fit in the glovebox.They do make a hidden radio I think the company is Secret Audio.I would like to buy on at some point.Something you may want to check into.

The glovebox radio will fit if you locate it all the way to the top & left...

Attachments

• Glovebox Stereo 014.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 165
I've never put one in a glove box yet, but I wouldn't see why you couldn't find one to fit. I'd start by measuring to see how much room you have to work with. Then I'd look at the various stereos out there that have the options you want. The one thing that I can see that would make it a pain in the %$& is if you didn't have a remote method of controlling it. An awful lot of the newer stereos come with one, but the controls will be dinky. The Secret Audio radios do have that wired remote faceplate with a decent control interface. And they can be surface mounted almost anywhere or they can be mounted above or below the dash with an included bracket.

I have bought a hidden antennae before. It works but the reception isn't as good as an exterior one. The one I bought seemed to work best when mounted higher in the car next to the center of the windshield. I know that GM started building antennas into the windshields of their cars back in 1970. The '70 Camaro I had was that way. And I know that they used to sell aftermarket ones that were basically a wire encased in a translucent adhesive strip that was designed to be taped to windshields.

I made a bracket and mounted one under driver seat so I could have am/fm . 67 cuda

I have secret audio under the seat of my Barracuda. All you see is a small
Hand held unit, that you can put under the seat at shows, I can run a CD changer, I pod, or my Sirius.

Boss makes a radio for marine applications ( see ebay ) that has a hard wired remote with display. Toss the radio in the trunk, antenna placed most anywhere. This is just one of countless options.

I put together a system for a 31 Ford coupe the other day. The radio is behind the seat and the speakers are going to be hidden behind custom interior panels. The remote is a RF remote and will control the radio from up to 90 feet away. Another option I've been looking at for other installations is an infared repeater which would allow for a hidden install.

I was going with this until just looking at it I see that its out of stock. Hope that they get more.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bXYTaj2OSl6/p_2061PXI502/Kicker-11PXI50-2.html#details-tab
No radio, just has iPod or similar sound inputs. Figured to use the pre-amp outputs to drive another small amp for the rear speakers.

x2061PXi502-F.jpeg

-
Back