Hidden Vin #'s

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
I have been searching over my 74 dart for A Vin that will match the Dash Vin. Rad support, Under the weatherstrip in the trunk, Firewall etc.... No luck. I strongly believe that My Car is actually a '73 based on the Rear extension, Lights in the rear bumper, and several other items. I have spoken to The NC DOT Theft Department and they are going to come look at it if I want them to. The Dash & Title match up and show 1974. Any tips on where to look for hidden Vin's would be greatly appreciated. I don't believe the engine is original to the car but could be if it's a 73 Car. 318 is a January 1972.

on the trunk lip on the under side. located on passenger side center of trunk lid

Not to offend, but why does it matter? I had a 71 Duster that was titled as a 72 and I had a 72 Duster that was titled as a 70. I definately didn't run to the law to have them look into either of them for me.

Why assume it was something that had to do with theft instead of assuming it wasn't just a title problem? I also have a 65 Barracuda now that originally had a letter in the vin where a number should have been. Fortunately the DMV fixed that for me, but it took months to get right. Why create problems for yourself?

funny thing ,i had a car i bought from the 2nd owner. it was originally titled as a 76. every number was correct on the original bank note with the 6th digit showing a 6. apparently it had never once been checked because the 6th digit was a 7 on the VIN tag.

Careful, if the Govt. comes to look at it, might leave on a hook

How True. :violent1:

in most cases (if not all it) it will be the last six (sequence) numbers of the VIN that are stamped
Awesome, Thanks.
Not to offend, but why does it matter? I had a 71 Duster that was titled as a 72 and I had a 72 Duster that was titled as a 70. I definately didn't run to the law to have them look into either of them for me.

Why assume it was something that had to do with theft instead of assuming it wasn't just a title problem? I also have a 65 Barracuda now that originally had a letter in the vin where a number should have been. Fortunately the DMV fixed that for me, but it took months to get right. Why create problems for yourself?
In the end, you had a car that You could represent 100% truthfully. Right? If I ever go to sell mine I want to be able to say without a doubt what it is.

was a 7 on the VIN tag.[/quote]

Careful, if the Govt. comes to look at it, might leave on a hook

How True.
I hope not. I have the title and it matches the Vin on the dash. I just want to find out for sure that the Vin matches the rest of the car. It probably will and just got a rear extension and bumper from a donor car.

Nothing wrong with wanting to know if all the numbers match. As mentioned, the rear is on the underside of the trunk lip (drip rail or whatever it's called) however, mine was on driver side of center (1973). The radiator support is driver side of center visible from top, may be under original anti-freeze sticker (mine was). Also as stated, you are looking for last 6 numbers of VIN. Numbers are not stamped very deep into metal so a couple of repaints can make them invisible.

There's also a # stamped into the core support, it's right on top near the radiator and sometimes covered up by the antifreeze stickers.

if the build sheet, the fender tag and the VIN all match , then it is what it is. someone would have to through alot of work to change the dash VIN , and really doubt this would be a car it would happen to.

if the build sheet, the fender tag and the VIN all match , then it is what it is. someone would have to through alot of work to change the dash VIN , and really doubt this would be a car it would happen to.

It would probably only happen for ease of getting a title on it.

Are the numbers supposed to be reversed or encoded? Or are they usually the last 6 of the Vin?

usually always the last six . they could be reversed depending on how you are looking at them. if you find any 5 or 6 numbers in any of the areas mentioned above , those are going to be them. sometimes a weak stamping will only leave 4-6 of them .

Yes, on the package tray, drivers side above the speaker hole.

It should be 8 digits long matching the last 8 of your VIN

1 digit for year

1 digit for plant of manufacture

6 digits for vehicle sequence #

Yes, on the package tray, drivers side above the speaker hole.

It should be 8 digits long matching the last 8 of your VIN

1 digit for year

1 digit for plant of manufacture

6 digits for vehicle sequence #

The OP has a 1974, I think his will be on the trunk lip. On my 1972 Demon the number in on the underside of package tray. On my 1973 Dart Sport it was on the underside of the trunk lip. It may have changed location in 1973. It is very difficult to find the number on the trunk lip.

Your right about the 8 digits, I went out and looked at mine and the model year and assembly plant codes are there, but the are reversed on mine (B2 instead of 2B).

I peeled back the entire drivers side trunk seal and found nothing. Package tray had a 7 digit number something like 45xxx12. Nothing like the vin. I guess All I got is the dash vin and clear title. That's enough for me.

The OP has a 1974, I think his will be on the trunk lip. On my 1972 Demon the number in on the underside of package tray. On my 1973 Dart Sport it was on the underside of the trunk lip. It may have changed location in 1973. It is very difficult to find the number on the trunk lip.

Your right about the 8 digits, I went out and looked at mine and the model year and assembly plant codes are there, but the are reversed on mine (B2 instead of 2B).

Yes, I agree on the trunk lip also. I was just trying to give OwdKasd add'l info on location for the package tray area.

I never found the # on my trunk lip on my 72 Demon either, but didn't know it was on the underside of the lip or underside of the package tray. Maybe when I'm feeling sporty, I'll get in there with a flashlight and take a look LOL :tongue3:

Very interesting info on the B2 2B reversal codes on the package tray. The 73 I looked @ was the same way B3 instead of 3B.....hmmm

I peeled back the entire drivers side trunk seal and found nothing. Package tray had a 7 digit number something like 45xxx12. Nothing like the vin. I guess All I got is the dash vin and clear title. That's enough for me.

Get in the trunk with a flash light and wire brush and lay on your back and look up at the underside, not under the seal...I hope you needed to replace your seal.

Whyn'tchya post a clear, sharp pic (or accurate transcription) of the fender tag, or at least the VIN, in case one of us spots something in it that might shed some light?

-
Back