high compression 408 build

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
so ive had this 360 magnum out of a dakota sittin in my garage for a few years now and finally decided to do something weith it, ive decided to build a 408 stroker.. here are my plans for the build

stroker kit from hughes engines 12.7:1 comp fully forged internals
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...el1=MzYwLzQwOCBTdHJva2VyIEtpdHM=&partid=26451

i already have a set of eddy heads on the dart now, im guna send them out to shady dell speed shop for some porting
http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/edelbrockheads.htm

i plan running on pump gas by converting over to e85 and going with a conversion kit from..
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html

now for the big question what cam do i go with? has anyone on here done a build like this and if so could you post your combo?

thanks in advance!

i just got off the phone with comp

duration @ .050 250/258
lift .626/.622
110lsa

they said this combo should be good for 575+ hp!

my 2 cents...

Call someone that builds engines and has cams cut.

duration @ .050 250/258
lift .626/.622
110lsa

should just look at tge car craft article where Brian made I think 600hp and copy that

duration @ .050 250/258
lift .626/.622
110lsa

The one I posted up is about the same lift (with 1.6 rockers) with more duration and a 106 LSA. The Comp specs would be a little more street friendly.

And their claim that it would make 575+ with that cam is quite optimistic. Maybe 500, but I highly doubt 575.

The one I posted up is about the same lift (with 1.6 rockers) with more duration and a 106 LSA. The Comp specs would be a little more street friendly.

true and the reason for the wider lobe sep is that i will be running e85 and maybe a lil bottle

Has more duration and it's a solid roller. You didn't say what type the one was from Comp

true but im also guna be running a little bottle with this combo so a wider lobe sep and less duration fits my application better, thanks for the suggestion tho

so does anyone have any e85 experience?

true but im also guna be running a little bottle with this combo so a wider lobe sep and less duration fits my application better, thanks for the suggestion tho

so does anyone have any e85 experience?

Not trying to be arguementative but you came here and asked for advice on a cam now all the sudden you're an expert?

I plugged all my info into Comp's Cam Quest and it told me I'd make 793 HP with my 408. Yeah right. That number is hard enough to achieve with W8's let alone W5's. So you can take their info with a grain of salt. The guys you were talking to probably never built an engine and if they did it was a small block chebby. If I were you I'd listen to an engine builder that actually has experience with the small Mopar.

Sounds like a very similar solid roller cam I,m running in my 410. .050 252/258 at 108.Makes tons of tq.Oh but mines only 10.5 to 1 compression.

I mean really, stop and think about it. You could probably count on less than the fingers of two hands the number of engine builders that specialize in the small Mopar, and probably on one hand. Others that specialize in Mopars are a little more prevelant but specifically the small block, there isn't many. so why would you listen to some brand x guy at Comp that knows nothing about the Mopars?

Work with Ryan at Shady Dell Speed or contact Brian at IMM (user ou812) for the right cam. Then once you get that figured out have Ryan put the right valve springs at the correct install height and go. When building an engine, especially one like the one discussed here, you need to team up with an expert because you will need help with rockers, push rods, retained/locks, carb recommendations ect. Why not hook up with someone who does this every day and knows Mopar small blocks?? I had Ryan and Brian help me put mine together its got punch and two years of beatings runs like a champ.

Not trying to be arguementative but you came here and asked for advice on a cam now all the sudden you're an expert?

I plugged all my info into Comp's Cam Quest and it told me I'd make 793 HP with my 408. Yeah right. That number is hard enough to achieve with W8's let alone W5's. So you can take their info with a grain of salt. The guys you were talking to probably never built an engine and if they did it was a small block chebby. If I were you I'd listen to an engine builder that actually has experience with the small Mopar.

oh im not trying to argue im just relaying what the guy from comp said into comparisson with the cam he recomended and i simply stated why. I i definetly plan on having ryan at shady dell do my heads, maybe ill shoot him a message on facebook and pick his brain a little, only problem is most of the mopar fenatics live on the east coast i.e. shady dell ect ect.

Im blank sheet, any advice/info is greatly appriciated!

my goals with this new engine is to put me into the mid to high 10s and low 10s on the bottle

so ive had this 360 magnum out of a dakota sittin in my garage for a few years now and finally decided to do something weith it, ive decided to build a 408 stroker.. here are my plans for the build

stroker kit from hughes engines 12.7:1 comp fully forged internals
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...el1=MzYwLzQwOCBTdHJva2VyIEtpdHM=&partid=26451

i already have a set of eddy heads on the dart now, im guna send them out to shady dell speed shop for some porting
http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/edelbrockheads.htm

i plan running on pump gas by converting over to e85 and going with a conversion kit from..
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html

now for the big question what cam do i go with? has anyone on here done a build like this and if so could you post your combo?

thanks in advance!

Our CC build with more compression would have you around 675HP and we used a 260-266 custom cam on 112 lca.

-
Back