High idle problem

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I was reluctant to post this question because I feel like an idiot but after swapping my intake I cant get this car to idle below 1500 rpm, Ive checked for vacuum leaks and it seems to be good, set the timing to where the car starts perfectly (like it did before the swap) and played with the idle mixture which brings it down initially , slightly. . Any ideas? this thing is driving me crazy. eddy 600/eddy D4B.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 255
Hey Scott, I checked for vacuum leaks , all seams goo there. Ill check it again though. I'm going to blow out the idle circuit, maybe some crap stuck in there.

Hey Scott, I checked for vacuum leaks , all seams goo there. Ill check it again though. I'm going to blow out the idle circuit, maybe some crap stuck in there.

Do the old..backyard test...both hands over top of carb.See if it snuffs itself.

Do what Petty said.
Also did you check the angle of the heads to block VS the intake.
Machining, even a slight head mill can throw you off.

I would say unless you left a vacuum line off you are not sealing the manifold to the heads, or it is something stupid like an old vacuum line cracked to the power brake booster when you took it off.

Do the old..backyard test...both hands over top of carb.See if it snuffs itself.
Ya that's the first thing I did so no leaks. Ah, Seems to be a bit better now I took the mixture screws out and cleaned everything. At least I can adjust them. I'm going to change the POS fuel filter tomorrow. I love my 65 :D. My 71 is still MIA going down to see her tomorrow.

Try disconnecting the throttle limkage.

Make sure none of the throttle linkage parts are binding on your intake. That's been a 40yo issue. Check them all especially the secondary, pass side.

What intake gasket did you use,
I put a LD4B on my 318 and a steel gasket and it would suck oil out of the valley.

Changed to a fel pro gasket made for a 273-318 and it fixed a slight idle problem, and the oil issue.

Make sure none of the throttle linkage parts are binding on your intake. That's been a 40yo issue. Check them all especially the secondary, pass side.

Cracked you are amazing the wealth of knowlage you have.

What intake gasket did you use,
I put a LD4B on my 318 and a steel gasket and it would suck oil out of the valley.

Changed to a fel pro gasket made for a 273-318 and it fixed a slight idle problem, and the oil issue.
felpro for early 273 , perfect fit no leaks.

I had my elect choke wire not fitting tight once and it wont let the fast idle go off. Just a stupid thing I did, maybe you will get lucky and it will be something stupid.

check the pvc? or that pic you have up looks like the choke is not open all the way which will put your high idle on.

Exellent suggestion.
Make sure they are not binding against each other also, and make sure your fast idle screw is backed off.
(You know, the one undeneath the linkage facing up.)
I have the same carb you do and with everything backed down all the way I can barely get it down to 900 R's when warmed up.
It seems to be kind of a balance between timing advance amount and idle mixture.

Great help guys thanks. Ya, I took that picture with the choke part closed warming it up for the first time, turns out the linkage was binding slightly , enough for 500RPM. Not used to this new fangled cable bracket! loosened everything up, re tightened.....seems happy at 1000.

I had the same issue, because I had replaced the base and gaskets of the carburetor/intake with thicker versions so because it was taller the throttle cable was throwing the idle off. Stupid mistake that I overlooked. Thank guys for the clear insight always turns out to be some thing small and simple.

-
Back