High Octane fuel in Illinois

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I want to start with higher octane and work my way back to see what will be sufficient in my new stroker about 10.5 to 1 CR. I have 93 octane here at the pump. Any place in N IL to get some higher to mix in?

I buy 110 octane leaded, out of the pump here in Glendale Heights. Is that too far? It is about 100 miles from Dixon.

Names of all three above would be good (2 in Rockford and 1 in Glendale Heights). I get to both areas regularly. Thanks Guys.

When you say "out of the pump" Do you mean at a gas station or at a speed shop? What is the cost.

If you live in Rockford have you tried Byron Dragstrip? I know it is closed now but they will open in Mid April.

With 10.5 CR it would be nice if you could find some 100 octane and mix it with some 93. 50/50 mix would be around 96.5

I live in Joliet and I can get it down the street at Gas City, they sell Rockert brand fuel. I have also seen at a few Citgo's they sell 100

I found smith oil in rockford and they want $8.99/gal for 110
Seems a little steep. I plan on mixing to find good octane level for the car.

Just my .02..my 416 with 11.9 to 1 compression ran just fine on 93 octane:thumleft::thumleft:

Some of your small airports sell 100 leaded for about 4.50 a gallon.

Just my .02..my 416 with 11.9 to 1 compression ran just fine on 93 octane:thumleft::thumleft:
I was hoping I could do that too, just wanted to be cautious from the 1st start and work my way back. Thanks for the info.

Is that with aluminum or iron heads?

My car also has about that same compression (x-heads). With super I can drive around just fine but I don't hammer on it.

My problem is the car is so loud I don't think I could hear if it was detonating.

Is that with aluminum or iron heads?

My car also has about that same compression (x-heads). With super I can drive around just fine but I don't hammer on it.

My problem is the car is so loud I don't think I could hear if it was detonating.

Aluminum//of coarse...........

Some of your small airports sell 100 leaded for about 4.50 a gallon.
The airoprt near me sells 100 for $4.75/ gallon but he said it is low lead fuel. is the low lead a problem?

If you have hardened valves/seats then low lead is not a problem. You can mix the two 93 and 100 and get 96.5(approx)

On another note.
Don't want to start an arguement over this but I have heard/read that 10.5 CR (iron) and 11.5 CR (aluminum) is the max "SAFE" CR to use 93 octane. It may run fine on the street but not the best to do if you hammer it, you could have issues. Better safe than sorry.

If you have hardened valves/seats then low lead is not a problem. You can mix the two 93 and 100 and get 96.5(approx)

On another note.
Don't want to start an arguement over this but I have heard/read that 10.5 CR (iron) and 11.5 CR (aluminum) is the max "SAFE" CR to use 93 octane. It may run fine on the street but not the best to do if you hammer it, you could have issues. Better safe than sorry.

Don't believe everything you hear, i run my duster with the same 93 octane at the track not one single issue to speak of..:smile::smile:

-
Back