high oil pressure...

-

plumcrazeman

Reaction score
When i start the engine cold it runs about 80#. If i hit the gas witch i need to keep it running it will go to 100# or higher.When the engine is up to temp. it idles about 66# but when revving the engine 90# or so.is this normal?It seems like it blew the gasket around the oil filter.not the gasket on the filter but the gasket behind the oil filter plate.(engine 340 solid cam & lifter)

When i start the engine cold it runs about 80#. If i hit the gas witch i need to keep it running it will go to 100# or higher.When the engine is up to temp. it idles about 66# but when revving the engine 90# or so.is this normal?It seems like it blew the gasket around the oil filter.not the gasket on the filter but the gasket behind the oil filter plate.(engine 340 solid cam & lifter)

sounds like somebody used a hemi spring with to thick of a washer behind it

Yes just built.Have about 50miles on it. The oil pump is a high volume mildon.
I just looked up milodon high volume pump and it says 65#to70# Max hot.

did u mess with the spring at all? also did u break it down and clean it?

No never messed with it.

sounds like something mite have got behind the relief spring and made it"tighter" increasing oil pressure. take the pump off and take the spring out, mite be an extra washer in there or something...

Sounds like a stuck oil relief valve. You should always disassemble an oil pump and check it out. They are supposed to be "bolt in" but sometimes they miss something and things like this occurs. I'm surprised the oil filter is staying together at that much oil pressure.

sounds like something mite have got behind the relief spring and made it"tighter" increasing oil pressure. take the pump off and take the spring out, mite be an extra washer in there or something...

You must be thinking about a big block pump as small block pumps don't use a washer to shim up the relief valve.

If it's a fresh motor you may have really tight clearances,which would raise oil psi significantly.

my 340 6 pack is like 80psi when cold or a bit more and then 50-60 hot idle and when revved like 75ish. been that way for years with no problems.

what weight oil do you use. if your blew the gasket then a problem. mines never been over a 100 though

You must be thinking about a big block pump as small block pumps don't use a washer to shim up the relief valve.

just thinking factory mite have shimmed it a little more for some reason. i know like a the slant is like a BB with adjusting oil pressure with the spring, and also u can add or subtract different thickness washers to get oil pressure were u want it, but never played with a sb

Sounds like maybe your relief valve is buggered. Hitting a 100 is bad for your oil pump drive. Take pump out and pull the pin that keeps the spring retainer in. A spring will come out as well as a check ball. If the check device is jammed in there, it wont be able to regulate max pressure. I took an old one out and had to use a sheet metal screw and slide hammer to get the old retainer out.

just thinking factory mite have shimmed it a little more for some reason. i know like a the slant is like a BB with adjusting oil pressure with the spring, and also u can add or subtract different thickness washers to get oil pressure were u want it, but never played with a sb

Ok but small blocks are not that way. Just saying.

what weight oil are you running?

Did your engine builder put the 1/2 tube in the oil gailies that goes through the lifter bores like it says to in the Mopar engine book?

Mine does the same thing with the high volume pump. Also a fairly fresh rebuild with tight clearances. To keep the pressure down I run 10w-30 Brad Penn instead of a heavier oil. Haven't blown any filters or gaskets and made 100 drag strip passes with it.

Sounds like a stuck oil relief valve. You should always disassemble an oil pump and check it out. They are supposed to be "bolt in" but sometimes they miss something and things like this occurs. I'm surprised the oil filter is staying together at that much oil pressure.

this is your problem not shims not oil weight the oil pump can be blocked off from passing oil to the engine and the pressure wont get that high at a idle so your oil relief is stuck

Freshly built, tight clearances, hi-volume oil pump and thick oil? Oh yea, this will leed to a high pressure reading.

Like said above a thinner oil should help. If the pressure becomes a problem, a regular standard pressure oil pump should be swaped in.

I really don't see a problem in it though.

Hum Good idea iggy. Didn't think about that.

Mine does the same thing with the high volume pump. Also a fairly fresh rebuild with tight clearances. To keep the pressure down I run 10w-30 Brad Penn instead of a heavier oil. Haven't blown any filters or gaskets and made 100 drag strip passes with it.

well in your case the gauge is wrong or fix your relief valve and get ready to c improvement in your et s next time you go to the strip too high of oil pressure is not a good thing. not for performance and not for reliability

I'm using 10w 30 with zink add. man i'm tired of pulling motors.:angry5:.Can i get the oil pump out without pulling the engine?

Freshly built, tight clearances, hi-volume oil pump and thick oil? Oh yea, this will leed to a high pressure reading.

Like said above a thinner oil should help. If the pressure becomes a problem, a regular standard pressure oil pump should be swaped in.

I really don't see a problem in it though.

Hum Good idea iggy. Didn't think about that.

What other problems could come out of this? Could it blow the rear seal?

-
Back