High volts

-
I'd double check that the METER is correct

Check charging voltage right at the battery

(14.5 is actually "heading" towards "too high")

Your reading 11.9x "on the starter" is not low

YOU MAY HAVE a bad battery. If it is actually running at correct charge voltage and the ammeter still shows high, you might swap a known good battery in for a test

That was my thought-volts good but still high charging (amps) would say low battery gravity (not enough acid)...or a really high drain in the system.

Just checked with another mm (not digital, old needle type) batt showing just under 14v, now charging around 17v, gauge reading little higher than 3/4. Tried dmm again batt 12.4v charging 14.4. So looks like the old mm isn't any good. Gonna try battery swap, see what happens.

I'm not sure I would condemn the old meter. Just because a meter is 'digital' does not mean it's accurate. If you have some other cars, warm one or two up and check the batteries on them under same conditions

Finally got it fixed-I think. I went with the relay method-took voltage straight from the starter relay, and fed it to the VR with the key on. My voltmeter still shows high, but voltage measured at the battery is 14.4V~14.5V. It's admittedly on the high side of normal, but it's a damn sight better than 15.5V. I also replaced the ignition/charge harness; I didn't even bother to try it without the relay, but it's way better now...no charred brittle wires.

I also posted an order for a ready made relay fed headlight harness...it should be here tomorrow and will likely knock out the flickering lights at idle bs. Anyway, thanks for the assist guys-del, thanks for the tutorial. If you hadn't told me to check for volt loss at the VR from the battery, or suggested using a relay, I would've been scratching my head a little longer.

Well you're getting there, anyway. I didn't bother to read clear back, are you sure the regulator is well grounded?

Well you're getting there, anyway. I didn't bother to read clear back, are you sure the regulator is well grounded?

Indeed I did-I think I checked it about three or four times at least. I jumped it, removed and reinstalled different ones, you name it...regardless of which one of the three I used, it's still the same voltage. FWIW, the BWD one I bought from Advance has the most steady voltage, and came with some troubleshooting advice and basic system theory instructions.

-
Back