High zinc oil

-

Rob

Reaction score
What are you guys using for oil? As our cars are mostly pre 75 we need a much higher zinc content (1200 ZPPM) than most of the stuff on the shelves these days. Just built a motor and don't want to end up with a wiped cam in a week.

I like Amsoil, little bit pricey but never had a problem.

Attachments

• oil3.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 436
..amsoil seems to rate highest on all the tests and is what i use.
..having said that there are a lot of others to choose from and spending extra
money isn't so bad if you only change it once a year

one of my issues is I'm in canada so I don't want to spend a ton to ship from the US. I don't think we have Joe Gibbs oil here, not sure about Amsoil on the west coast but I'll look. I can also get Brad Penn oil but still have to ship it from the mainland.

..amsoil seems to rate highest on all the tests and is what i use.
..having said that there are a lot of others to choose from and spending extra
money isn't so bad if you only change it once a year

Any chance you can link to some tests? I've yet to find any for Amsoil that were not sponsored by Amsoil.

Worried about your cam life? Solve the low-zinc problem forever with one of these:
0906phr_16_z+big_block_ford_engine+mechanical_roller_cam.jpg

I use Schaeffers oil
Says ''for flat tappet engines'' right on the bottle.
Many weights, syn, para, conventional oils, cleaners, treatments etc...

But to be real....Just use which ever brand YOU want, cuase as long as they have the zinc needed....it's all just preference ;)

Attachments

• Photo 726.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 407
I love my roller cam! Maybe its time to step up to the big boy leagues here guys and go roller :twisted:

Valvoline Racing oil. Should be easy to get at any parts stores.
I have been using the 10W30 for the past five race seasons.
No concerns found.
I believe that they make two types, one with 1200ppm & a 1500ppm.

Any chance you can link to some tests? I've yet to find any for Amsoil that were not sponsored by Amsoil.

Worried about your cam life? Solve the low-zinc problem forever with one of these:
0906phr_16_z+big_block_ford_engine+mechanical_roller_cam.jpg

How will this ford cam help my cam life?

Or use ANY oil you want and add a bottle of this:

Attachments

• rislone additive.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 390
What are you guys using for oil? As our cars are mostly pre 75 we need a much higher zinc content (1200 ZPPM) than most of the stuff on the shelves these days. Just built a motor and don't want to end up with a wiped cam in a week.

kendel GT-1 has 1 of the highest ZDDP ratings

zinc. 1041 parts oer million
potassium 890 parts per million

giving you a 1931 parts per million ZDDP rating
and you can buy it over the counter

and before you buy that other brand that claims it is Kendel you better do some research from what i have read they have NOthing to do with or buy from KENDEL he bought an old kendel plant is all nothing more but i'll let you look into that on your own

i use joe gibbs, or any oil with comp cams zinc additive, or hughes engines oil additive.

I use Valvoline 10/30 and a small bottle of Joe Gibbs.

I use Joe Gibbs. You can buy it here at mopac and probably at other performance stores.

Attachments

• P4140017.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 338
Do not fall into the thinking that you don't need high zinc with a roller cam. I was told by T&D Technical that they require high zinc oil for their roller cam systems. In part it's because most people that use a roller cam do so because they move up in cam size for performance. Roller cams in general require more spring pressures for a given lift and of course when you go up in lift and duration more pressure still. I think any solid cam set up, roller or not should play it safe and use high zinc oils... I know I do now.
I'm running Comp Cams high zinc blended oil in mine but I'm sure any of the high zinc formulas is ok - although some are quite expensive.

Put the word "zinc" in the search feature. Lots of good info here.

-
Back