Higher PS Pump Mount?

-

4woody

Reaction score
I'm still trying to shoehorn a 383 into my '38 Chrysler.

151.jpg
It looked like I had everything in till I found that my Saginaw PS pump needs to be up a little higher than the Mopar factory high-mount bracket puts it. I reckon if the center of the PS pulley was 1.5"-2" higher than the center of the water pump pulley that would do it.

Does anybody make a bracket like this?

Not sure if I'd know one if I saw it.
The one I have right now that isn't high enough is like this from 440source:
1271006.jpg

I may have a 70's. truck pump with brackets. I will check tomorrow and post some pics if it will help you.

The ones on engine is mid70. Motorhome . The ones off engine is mid 70 truck. The motorhome looks same as pic above Keep in mind there could be a difference in water pump housing and the motorhome pulley is bigger in diameter than the truck.

Attachments

• 0706120223.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 0706120224.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 0706120225.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 0706120226.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 206
Thanks Dubob!
I'd not seen that style of bracket before at all.

Comparing centerlines of the pump pulley shafts, how much higher would you say the p/s pump shaft is than the w/p shaft? I'm thinking this is a good way to compare because the water pump itself would be in the same spot on the engine (car vs motorhome/truck) regardless of what w/p housing is being used. Does that seem right?

Thanks again- this is very helpful!

If I measure on the motorhome engine the ps. pulley is about an inch above water pump shaft. The truck setup is about 3 inches. That would be wp. shaft to ps. shaft.

Attachments

• 0706121205.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 0706121204.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 0706121202b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 0706121202a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 0706121202.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 165
It sure looks like that truck bracket- though not pretty- would get the job done. Here is what I'm dealing with:
001-2.jpg

If I go to the truck bracket, the path for the belt from crank pulley to p/s pulley wants to hit the bottom of the water pump pulley snout (that's what I was checking with the strip of leather in the pic).

I think I have a 2-groove water pump pulley: can I just run the power steering pump from that without routing around the crank pulley at all? How did the do the belts & pulleys on the trucks?

Dubob: Is that bracket & p/s pulley something you'd want to sell?

Sent you a pm. Ok I was looking at the pulleys for the truck engine and the motorhome. The motorhome setup in the pictures uses a double groove water pump pulley and a quad groove crank pulley. However the crank only uses the two grooves closest to the timing cover. The alternator is run off of the groove on the crank closest to timing cover and the P/S pump runs off the fwd groove on the crank. I dont see why you couldnt run just a second belt off the double groove water pump pulley. The rotation would still be correct. If your crank pulley has both of the pulleys the same diameter you could double belt off the crank around a double groove water pump pulley and take one belt to alt and one to p/s pulley I think.

Attachments

• 0707120118.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 0707120119.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 0707120119a.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 153
I got all of that except this:
"If your crank pulley has both of the pulleys the same diameter you could double belt off the crank around a double groove water pump pulley and take one belt to alt and one to p/s pulley I think. "

I may just be too tired, but could you rephrase that?

Sorry 4woody I was just thinking a similar setup to what the motor home engine was. If the 2 drive grooves on the crank pulley were the same diameter, with a double water pump pulley you could run two belts around the crank pulley, around the water pump pulley and then take one off water pump and run to alternator and the other over to the p/s pump. That would solve the interference with the water pump pulley. Just cant tell by your picture if it would clear the frame on drivers side with the truck bracket.

Attachments

• Pulley.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 139
Gotcha.
My crank pulley has the 2 slightly different drive groove diameters, so that wouldn't work. Maybe trucks used a different crank pulley with both grooves the same? Or the 4-groove like the motorhome??

Or just ran the p/s directly off the water pump like I'm thinking...
This would certainly be the easiest if it'll work.

-
Back