Highest Pump Octane in USA?

-

hux340

Reaction score
G'day All,
What's the highest octane fuel you guys can get in the USA? Here in Oz it's 98 & I've found BP Ultimate to be the best.
Can get my hands on Avgas when I want it as a mate of mine hauls it for a local aviation fuel company. I think avgas here is about 105. Would it do my Demon any damage if I chucked some in, or so 50/50 with 98 to see what see went like.
Cheers,
Glenn.

I don't think a higher octane gas would do more damage. I just don't think it would be all that beneficial unless you have a super high compression where you'd need that high of an octane or you're running boost. A 50/50 mix of 98 and 105 would be about a 101.5 octane.

We have a BP station out here in the county that pumps 114 octane leaded Cam2. It ain't cheap.

Here in Oregon......we have a VP station.

gets kinda pricey for the High Octane

Ever researched what GASOLINE consists of?
(it wouldnt hurt if you dumped some Xylene or Toluene in your tank.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene

God damn 3.65 for E-85? It's about 2.30 something a gallon here I think. Besides when you go to the track just use E-85 about half and about half 91 octane. E-85 is 110 octane. It's alcohol so it has less BTU compared to dino fuel so you use more but your engine will thank you. Alcohol dragsters have so much compression that they hAve to use alcohol to keep it from pinging to death. That's why they are called alcohol dragsters.

Here in the US, our octane is the average of "Research Octane + Motor Octane / 2". I believe your octane is either only Motor or Research Octane rated not the average of the two, so the rating appears higher.

G'day All,
What's the highest octane fuel you guys can get in the USA? Here in Oz it's 98 & I've found BP Ultimate to be the best.
Can get my hands on Avgas when I want it as a mate of mine hauls it for a local aviation fuel company. I think avgas here is about 105. Would it do my Demon any damage if I chucked some in, or so 50/50 with 98 to see what see went like.
Cheers,
Glenn.

AVgas is 100 octane I think. Avgas (Aviation 100 low lead fuel for Propeller aircraft) has paraffin in itl, which leaves a tremendous amount of carbon build up in the combustion chamber-they rebuild engines in the aviation's FAA standards after several thousand hours (can't remember how many) unlike what you expect to get out of a street engine.

DON'T ADD XYLENE TO YOUR TANK. You will replace seals, I don't recommend playing chemist, but everything internet supports Toluene as an octane booster-there was a thread on this not long ago with an awesome link someone posted????

I have heard that the E-85 offered locally has created many problems for those that use it (dirty?), also heard that it is 105 octane, not 110.

8.99 for 110 ?! its 5.999 here.

106 is the highest I've seen 4 miles down the road for 6.00 a gallon but I haven't looked for a few years so it's prob higher now.

Here in New York....

93 is the normal. There are a very few places that sell 100 unleaded.
There are also just a few places that will sell Cam II @ 110 octane but it is leaded fuel.
Any higher octane needed can be purchased at speed part shops.

All octane ratings are in the U.S.A. Measurements.

You really have to determine if you actually have a NEED for higher octane fuel because too high octane will actually hurt performance & make LESS power. How much compression are you actually running? Is it super or turbocharged?
If the engine runs well on 92-93 octane running 100 octane will make less power & do nothing more than empty your wallet faster. Although it does smell cool coming from the exhaust.

-
Back