Highest stall speed for a street car

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
Whats the highest stall speed you have run in a street car.
What was the companys name and what size was it.
Converters are getting better everyday and i would like too know the companys you guys are happy with. THANKS \\\T67POWER

well "street car" is a big and open category! personally i havn't been able to finish my drivetrain setup yet for my 68 dart. im going to be running a 4200 stall (3K Flash with my cam) and a manual valve body race 904. this is daily driven.

8" 5500

I drove it to work a couple times a month.

ah geeze! so what do u think ill need behind my 505RB with a 256 dur in a AFX??? :cheers: street driven of course!!

Me And Altered.jpg

505.jpg

021 after.jpg

I am interested in this as well, what are the good companies, I am looking for something in the 3000-3500 range. I have a Mopar performance one and it has done well for me but I need more stall and I have heard there are a lot better ones out there.

Also I have a 904. T67POWER you should post what trans and what engine
combo you are thinking about running.

9.5 Dynamic in a 3500 lb satellite, 440, 3.23s. flashes to about 4500. Drive it almost every day

Dartboy52,
I run a 904 in both my cars (a and b body)
I have a 3000 stall in my 67 cuda\\\\dynamic ***10 inch converter
I have a 3800 stall in my 67 coronrt\\\\dynamic***9 1/2 inch conveter
Both transmissions have a cheetah valve body
17676\cuda semi manual pro street ----17675\coronet full manual pro street
I have also used a ger converter(2200 stall speed)and transmission before.
The ger converter was supposed to be 2800 but was stupid tight.
I used a ptc trans. and converter.(was supposed to be 3500 stall but was very tight and stalled at 3100)
The trans. did not work right and got my money back for everything.
my coronet trans. is a dynamic
my cuda is a combination parts from my original 67 cuda trans and a host of other parts and is one the best transmissions i ever had.(frankenstein)
I want to build a new motor ,and i am going to run as much stall as posible.
why???because it's going to be a small block with a big cam in it ,and more gear then a swiss watch.
I started this thread too see what everybody else run's inthere cars.
I most likely won't go much past 5000 stall.

Continental "8 plus" its real tight at light throttle but it will go 5500 in my 2800 pound dart witha 500 hp 360 in it. Continental Torque Converters in Inglewood CA.

oh yea i forgot
I had a 175k mopar converter in my cuda but it broke.
Mancini and mopar took care of it.
With converters it seems more money means better quaility.
Well the more i think about it,it's that way with everything.:tongue6:

I run a 3800 stall in my '70 duster very good street manners,built by Ultimate converters, Lenny is great to deal with and his converters do what their suppose to do i wouldn't use anyone else...

There are 2 different designs. One is designed with street driving in mind but can still produce the same stall rating as a race design, even up to 4500 from what I've seen. The street driven one doesn't slip too much under light throttle. Only when you nail it does it stall out to it's rating. The race design seems to slip most of the time and is not really very street friendly. A buddy of mine has a race design that stalls at approx. 4k behind a 340 and you have to give it nearly 1/4 pedal to get it to move at a decent rate. Nail it and it flashes to about 4k and it's gone like a rocket. I also rode in another buddies car that has a 4k converter (street/strip design) and it hardly slipped at all under light throttle but still flashed 4k when you nail it. I wouldn't hesitate a minute using one like it in a street car.

There are 2 different designs. One is designed with street driving in mind but can still produce the same stall rating as a race design, even up to 4500 from what I've seen. The street driven one doesn't slip too much under light throttle.

Any examples of places that sell the street type converter?

I was told under 3000 for nice in town driving..sounds like a lot disagree..perhaps you could drive a few before you install..it sounds like this could be an issue that would just piss you off if it was wrong..

A a recent 'stang meet, a guy dyno'ed only @ 5 more hp than stock..that was after putting 4K into it..he wasb't happy..

my car has a 4800 8inch.with a 456.behend a 512 big block idont drive far but its drove 20or30 mil.at a time not to bad.

I was told under 3000 for nice in town driving.

that was the truth 30 years ago.

converter technology has come a long long way since then.. the new good ones (not that mp crap) are very efficient and you can run high stahls on the street and they do not make crazy heat and drive like stock converters. the trick is to get th eright one for your combo., the best way to do this is to call a converter company (dynamic,ptc,ultimate to name a few) and get them to build one for your combo. you will be very happy with the results. you will play more then $200 for it but once you feel the difference you will never go with an off the shelf converter again.. the only thing is you have to be 100% truthful about your combo and intended use of the car..

i was running a dynamic 3800 9 1/2" converter and it was perfect for my car. it felt like a stock converter around town and on the highway but when you mashed the loud pedal look out and hold on man it felt like you were shot out a cannon or something.. :). i took my car on 2-3 hour highway trips numerous times a year and that converter performed flawlessly...

hey roger being that it is shiny is it going to go faster?

A a recent 'stang meet, a guy dyno'ed only @ 5 more hp than stock..that was after putting 4K into it..he wasb't happy..

No converter will cause the engine to make more HP. If anything a low efficiency converter may even eat some hp. What a high stall converter does is allow the engine to rev into the power band much quicker, just like when you slip a clutch on takeoff during racing.

-
Back