Hillbilly engineering...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Was out walking the pups early this morning. Neighbor was walking down the road with his dog. Jim noticed the tractor is only on 3 wheels....told him had a flat...he offered to take it town to get it fixed...just laughed at him....just got done showing him how to pop a bead with a pickemup and a trailer ramp....my dad used to call this type of thing field expedience....

so let's hear 'em, "creative" ways to get around problems....:D

I've got nothin'....

Oh yeah, If you don't have a feeler gauge, use the top cover of a match book to set the gap on your points....

However, not many cars have points today, and you don't see too many match books anymore....

If your car keeps blowing fuses, just stick a dime or a quarter in the fuse block... (so you can start your car on fire...)

I've got nothin'....

Oh yeah, If you don't have a feeler gauge, use the top cover of a match book to set the gap on your points....

However, not many cars have points today, and you don't see too many match books anymore....

That is how my dad taught me to set them....never did use a feeler gauge on them....

Was out walking the pups early this morning. Neighbor was walking down the road with his dog. Jim noticed the tractor is only on 3 wheels....told him had a flat...he offered to take it town to get it fixed...just laughed at him....just got done showing him how to pop a bead with a pickemup and a trailer ramp....my dad used to call this type of thing field expedience....

Ok, you got me. What's a pickemup?

so let's hear 'em, "creative" ways to get around problems....:D
I was taught on the farm use a bumper jack with the tire under the tractor. place the hook on the tractor frame and the bottom plate on the tire near the bead. Works on all size tires.

I pull small stumps (6 inch) with a metal 4x4 with one end on a jackstand and the other on my floor jack.
Just wrap the chain around the stump, and somewhere around the steel 4x4 where the leveage is good and jack that puppy right out of the ground.

Had a neighbor that gave anal a whole new meaning. Granted, he was an aerospace machinist...This was back when I drank....a lot...was sitting out in my driveway...drinking...watching Bob & his son attempting to straighten out a slightly tweaked dirt bike frame. After the 7th beer I could not take it anymore. Laid a leg off of the engine hoist I had at the time on the frame and drove up on it with my truck....they were both shocked....from then on whenever they got hung up on something they would knock on my door....

Or a dollar bill folded in half length wise and then folded in half again. Not only sets the points, but the minor abrasive of the paper will clean them, too.

Ever blow out a driver side window, in the middle of January, and cold as a witches tit out? Replace it with a section of old 1/4 inch plexiglass, or "Lexan" cut to fit the opening, and just below the window rubber in the door, opposite where you would sit your fore arm. And jam a section of 2x4 up under it to keep it from falling down inside the door, and unplug the electric to the window opener.....(protects your window master switch)

Beats the hell outta fooling around with it in the dead of winter, AND keeps the heat inside the car, without a bag flappin' in the flippin' window while you drive AND. the best part........ you CAN see out it!

Alot of folks don't know that if you get stuck on wet grass or mud in a parking
lot at a ball game or anywhere try pulling/pushing your emergency brake on
It will indeed make the opposite tire pull that is not pulling
I have jumped in a few strangers cars and trucks to get them out of a slippery spot.

Had a neighbor that gave anal a whole new meaning.

My new girlfriend told me that she was anal and I said, "Great"....

It turns out that there are two kinds of anal, and she's the wrong one.... - Ron White

Using starting fluid and a match to seat the bead on a tire. I've only done this on motorcycle tires but it would also work on a car tire.

Alot of folks don't know that if you get stuck on wet grass or mud in a parking
lot at a ball game or anywhere try pulling/pushing your emergency brake on
It will indeed make the opposite tire pull that is not pulling
I have jumped in a few strangers cars and trucks to get them out of a slippery spot.

Forgot about this, my old off road truck only had a limited slip in it. Seemed like it would become a one legger at will. Disconnected the ratchet on the e-brake so I could give it a helping foot every now & then....

If you are in need of a boost or know somebody that needs a boost and there are no booster cables around. Touch your chrome bumpers together and use the bumper Jack from one positive battery post to the positive post in the other car and start the car.

Jack

If you are in need of a boost or know somebody that needs a boost and there are no booster cables around. Touch your chrome bumpers together and use the bumper Jack from one positive battery post to the positive post in the other car and start the car.

Jack

...nasty....

Using starting fluid and a match to seat the bead on a tire. I've only done this on motorcycle tires but it would also work on a car tire.

I have never done this...but I have used ratchet straps. See,s like every time I need to use the handtruck, or the pressure washer it has a flat. Wrap the tie down around it and crank it down.

Seeing Jacks madman jump start with the jack reminded me of when I saw a guy on the side of the road with a scooter, dead battery. Pulled up in front of him with the truck. He went to hook up the cables with my diesel still running. Can't help but wonder how bad it would have smoked that little battery if he hooked it up to my truck with the 130 amp alternator charging...

Jack

I did this before, pulled my D100 up to a power unit (water pump) and
used a 3/4 inch pipe as the posative leed as my bumper was grounded
on the unit framework Jack m. Forgotten all about that day :cheers:
I remember getting stuck about 10 away trying to get back on the toad :violent1:
But hay :D the rice fields was getting water .so my job got dun :D

If you ever have a cooling system develope a pin-hole leak and your miles from anywhere, dump a couple teaspoons of coarse ground black pepper in the coolant. The pepper flakes will clog the pin-hole enough to get you back to civilization.

If you have a squealin belt and don't have any belt dressing handy.... a little dab of vegetable oil will work just as well.

Growing up in the country miles from the nearest town will teach you that fixin things with duct tape, baling wire, and 2x4's is an art form in the truest sense of the word. Just ask Red Green or McGyver....

If you ever have a cooling system develope a pin-hole leak and your miles from anywhere, dump a couple teaspoons of coarse ground black pepper in the coolant. The pepper flakes will clog the pin-hole enough to get you back to civilization.

If you have a squealin belt and don't have any belt dressing handy.... a little dab of vegetable oil will work just as well.

Growing up in the country miles from the nearest town will teach you that fixin things with duct tape, baling wire, and 2x4's is an art form in the truest sense of the word. Just ask Red Green or McGyver....
I've seen pepper, skoal, cornmeal, raw eggs, all kinda stuff used to get home. I think the best "hillbilly rig" I ever saw was a pinto hatchback hatch used as a hood on a 70's F100. Kinda kool with the window in it!.

If you ever have a cooling system develope a pin-hole leak and your miles from anywhere, dump a couple teaspoons of coarse ground black pepper in the coolant.

I've also heard of using egg whites to stop radiator leaks.

-
Back