Historic Plates !

-

wingedone

Winged One
Reaction score
Historic Plates,

Just in case you do not know, the department of transportation in Ontario Canada may have decieved you, as they did me. I have Historic plates on my car as of last year when I put it on the road. The women said "Oh, u can put historic plates on your car, as it is a 1968.". I asked her what the difference was and she said, about a third the price. So I got them.

So now I have found this article, and read it, I will be changing my plates in the spring. I thought it was important enough to pass on to everyone else to perhaps save a load of grief when / if something were to happen to your vehicle and find out your insurance company doesn't cover you for having the wrong plates. Please start reading from the left column where the star in ink appears.

P.S. Can anyone tell me if this applies in the states or other provinces as well ?

Historic plates.jpg

In Ohio, the basic restriction is that the car not be a daily driver or used for general transportation. Other than that, not a lot of restrictions for historical plates. The car must be 25 years old for historical plates.

I have historic plates, and I was made aware by the DMV of the restrictions, listed in the article.

My classic car insurance has relatively the same restrictions.
I don't see your concern about coverage, unless you have standard insurance coverage.

Classic car insurance covers you to appraised value, no matter what plates you have, classic, personalized or standard...

It's for sure a good thing that people are made aware of these restrictions.

THAT ought to get you a bunch of threatening phone calls at 3am.

A "loophole" to all that might be IF you belong to a club, and IF the club has bylaws, and IF the bylaws say to promote the club at every opportunity by DRIVING your car at every opportunity (or some such language) then technically you wouldn't be breaking the law. Cause any time you drove the car you would be driving it as part of a club function.

Just for comparison...

In our state, you can get Collector plates, which is for a car 25 years or older, low mileage per year, and you can't drive during a few winter months. I think it's also supposed to be a "stock" car, but not sure about that.

We also have hobbyist plates that pretty much let you do whatever you want, but the car has to be inspected when it's done.

I had them on my Duster, but when I found out about the restricted mileage I got regular tags and the others are hanging on my wall.
What good is a car you can't drive?:angry7:

In California the 'Historic Vehicle' license plate application form reads: "Issued to a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old or older and of historic interest. Vehicle may be driven only in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities."

Colorado Antique plates are good for 5 years, the vehicle must be 25 years old or older, you get emission checked once and only once.

No mileage or driving restrictions whatsoever. Pretty good deal.

For Washington State:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcollector.html

Vehicle requirements

To use collector plates, vehicles must be:

* more than 30 years old.
* capable of operating on the highway.
* owned and operated as collector vehicles.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

* to and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
* for testing purposes.
* for the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

* commercial purposes or to carry a load.
* regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

License plate requirements

Collector license plates:

* may be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks.
* are good for the life of vehicle.
* are not required to display month/year tab.
* are not renewed annually.
* must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (You must provide your restored or current license plates. If you provide a set, the collector vehicle plates may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle).

Option to use restored license plates

You may use a restored license plate on your collector vehicle instead of a collector vehicle license plate. A restored license plate is a Washington-issued license plate that was designed for use in the year of the vehicle’s manufacture. The license plate must be restored to a condition that allows it to be identified with its year of issue. A reproduction of the original cannot be used as a restored license plate.

I had them on my Duster, but when I found out about the restricted mileage I got regular tags and the others are hanging on my wall.
What good is a car you can't drive?:angry7:

Amen.... I get asked why the "Daily Duster" has a standard plate on occasion, usually preceded by "what year is that?" It's not a show car by any means but it does turn a few heads in rush hour :)

So since we all belong to The "A Body Car Club", I suggest that if you want to drive your car somewhere (like to work or the local drive-in) to show (or be seen driving) it or do an extended 'test drive after repairs', this should serve notice of intent that we are having a 'car show' wherever you may want to drive your car.

Whadda think about that ?

There are three options in Texas for cars over 25 years old. The Antique plate, Classic plate, & (for lack of a better term) Year of Manufacture Plate.

The Antique and Year of Manufacture are the most restrictive to, from, and in club activities, to and from parades, and to and from maintenance. The Year of Manufacture plate is essentially something you would find at a swap meet and have approved by TXDOT. The tag needs to be in nearly new condition (legible, correct colors, reflectivity) and issued the same year as the model year of the car. Cars may be modified, but may not carry advertising and things of that nature.

The Classic plate is the one that would be used for a daily driver. The car needs to pass an annual safety inspection, but not the emissions tests in locales where they are required on newer cars.

Both the Classic plate and Antique plate may be personalized. A personalized YoM plate is possible if it was originally issued by the state. It is verboten to manufacture a YoM plate for use on a vehicle. (TXDOT will not approve.)

antique_plate_image.jpg

classic_plate_image.jpg

Slant 6 tag.jpg

Unless it has been changed, you can also use a YoM plate here in Texas as a "classic" plate. A "Classic" plate has an extra fee above and beyond the regular yearly license fee, and the car is subject to a yearly inspection.

The "Antique" is a strange deal. Texas requires you to have a front AND rear plate. If you use a YoM plate for your "antique" registration you must have TWO plates. HOWEVER, the state issued Antique plate is only ONE plate that goes on the rear of the vehicle. Also all of the Antique registrations are on the same five year cycle. If you register a vehicle Antique in the middle of this five year cycle, the cost is pro-rated.

That cost for the full five years (which I think the last cycle started last April) costs about $60

Ive got what Virginia calls "vintage" tags on my 72. They are original, never issued tags still in the wrapper that I purchased from a collector here in Virginia. I believe he has original plates for Delaware, North Carolina & Maryland also. I have bought several from him over the years for myself & friends. They put the finishing touch on any original/restored car. They only cost me $55.00. They are permanent with no inspection ever. The limited mileage doesnt really bother me.....don't use it everyday anyway....D

Michigan allows you to buy (on your own) a plate from the year your car was made, and lets you register it with that plate. One time fee , around $65 and its good for as long as you own the car. The guy who wrote that article seems like a MAJOR A--Hole. Like the kind of kid who would tattle all through school to suck up to the teacher. I guess he didn't get beat up enough during school and he's looking for some more.

Well I must admit Dusterdon, I thought the same thing as you. There is always someone out there that isnt happy unless they are making others unhappy !
I put about 4000 miles on my car last year cruising, car shows, and week end jaunts. My insurance is 100% top notch, but I think that this spring I am going to retire my 1 year old historical plates to the garage wall, and get new daily driver ones to be safe. Thank you all for your comments.

For Washington State:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcollector.html

Vehicle requirements

To use collector plates, vehicles must be:

* more than 30 years old.
* capable of operating on the highway.
* owned and operated as collector vehicles.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

* to and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
* for testing purposes.
* for the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

* commercial purposes or to carry a load.
* regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

License plate requirements

Collector license plates:

* may be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks.
* are good for the life of vehicle.
* are not required to display month/year tab.
* are not renewed annually.
* must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (You must provide your restored or current license plates. If you provide a set, the collector vehicle plates may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle).

Option to use restored license plates

You may use a restored license plate on your collector vehicle instead of a collector vehicle license plate. A restored license plate is a Washington-issued license plate that was designed for use in the year of the vehicle’s manufacture. The license plate must be restored to a condition that allows it to be identified with its year of issue. A reproduction of the original cannot be used as a restored license plate.

Our laws are pretty much the same around here, except you now have to sign a paper saying your either own or have access to another vehicle for regular driving you also have to provide vin and tag# for such vehicle.

There used to be virtually no restrictions on the plates, but so many people were putting antique plates on their daily driver junk '70's trucks and stuff to aviod state inspection.

Our laws are pretty much the same around here, except you now have to sign a paper saying your either own or have access to another vehicle for regular driving you also have to provide vin and tag# for such vehicle.
No problem here. How many o us have only one car? What if you have 5 cars with restored plates. I only drive each one once a week.

The guy who wrote that original newspaper article needs to get a life and a girlfriend.

...encouraging people to call the police when they see this "illegal" activity......what a hoser.

:angry7:

-
Back