hit hard bump now car sits too far down???

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
I just replaced the lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings. Put about 10-15 miles on car and drove great. I get back into town and hit the 2 inch-or so- curb going into advance auto. I didn't run over the curb- its just a high entrance for some reason. Anuway- now my car sits way too low on drivers side. It raining out so I cant look at it right now. Could this be something easy like a blown shock? I couldn't see anything hanging down like a broken torsion bar or?? Any ideas? Hopefully I will be able to get tire off tomorrow to get a better look, just looking to see if others had this happen and the cause? I was thinking the torsion bar would keep the car up even with a blown shock, but anything is possible with my luck.

Blown shock probably, check the back side of the cross-member that the torsion bar slides into, sometimes the welds break.

A "blown shock" is not gonna affect ride height. You damaged, bent, or broke something.

I was thinking that also but I thought the torsion bars did ride height and shocks were just there for the bumps to "deaden the blow" kind of thing? Im hoping its just a blown shock. Spent the last 2 days working on the lca bushings. Probably have only 10 hours into it but between looking for tools, getting those old bushing sleeves out, and rain......lol
New shocks- maybe free and easy to replace-bought a new set 2 years ago from advance- has limited lifetime and I used to work there, so can prob get a new set free. Anything else wrong-$$$ and bad attitude haha

Are you sure that it isn't just the suspension settling? A blown shock would not cause this.

A damaged shock could cause it. If it hit hard enough to bend the shock, it could stay compressed and hold the suspension from rebound.

You gotta look and see to know what your problem is.

A damaged shock could cause it. If it hit hard enough to bend the shock, it could stay compressed and hold the suspension from rebound.

Yes, but highly unlikely. I'm not trying to disagree with you Rob, but he said he only ran over a 2" curb; that won't bend a shock, especially if he was going slow while entering a parking lot. He also asked specifically about a blown shock, which could not cause his situation.

I'm still betting on the suspension settling or somehow the clocking of the torsion bar socket being off after installation of the lower control arms following the bushing replacement.

I just replaced the lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings. Put about 10-15 miles on car and drove great. I get back into town and hit the 2 inch-or so- curb going into advance auto. I didn't run over the curb- its just a high entrance for some reason. Anuway- now my car sits way too low on drivers side. It raining out so I cant look at it right now. Could this be something easy like a blown shock? I couldn't see anything hanging down like a broken torsion bar or?? Any ideas? Hopefully I will be able to get tire off tomorrow to get a better look, just looking to see if others had this happen and the cause? I was thinking the torsion bar would keep the car up even with a blown shock, but anything is possible with my luck.

We need more info. How did you adjust ride height after replacement of the LCA bushings? Did you bounce the front end up and down after adjusting the ride height? How close were the adjustments on the two torsion bar adjustment bolts; in other words, were the bolts out of the adjusters about the same amount?

I did hit the curb a little hard.Had to hurry across 2 lanes. Both bolts for adjusting ride height were about the same. I did bounce car after each adjustment. I tightened all bolts after car was setting on ground and adjusted. I will have to get my Durango tomorrow as it has all my tools in it. Its sitting like the torsion bar on drivers side is all the way loose- yet I drove 3 miles with it like that and the only thing that was noticeable was when I was making left hand sharper turns-entering driveway. The rest of ride seemed normal. I didn't see the problem until I arrived home.

Anytime I had my front suspension apart I could bounce the car in the driveway and it would settle down where I thought it needed to be. But a trip down the street and back and I had to raise it back up. Your suspension has settled, so it is time to readjust your ride height.

Yes, but highly unlikely. I'm not trying to disagree with you Rob, but he said he only ran over a 2" curb; that won't bend a shock, especially if he was going slow while entering a parking lot. He also asked specifically about a blown shock, which could not cause his situation.

I'm still betting on the suspension settling or somehow the clocking of the torsion bar socket being off after installation of the lower control arms following the bushing replacement.

I was merely saying it was possible and that he should not overlook the shock like he has been pretty much told to do. It is a possibility. That's all I was saying. I don't know the Vegas odds and don't really care, but he should check everything.

If you tightened up your LCAs with the weight off the wheels, you locked in stress on the bushings. The impact could have torn a bushing. Not saying you did; just a possibility.

The mention of the torsion bar socket is interesting. Any rust in that area? I've heard of them tearing loose.

A little settling of the suspension is normal. But 2 inches on one side suggests that something is loose or broken.

Check your leaf spring shackles. A few years back I had one 'flip' on me and it caused an immediate ride height change on that side.

I would look at the torsion bar adjusters....maybe broke one from the impact or possibly the adjusters threaded mount was not fully in its position from the rebuild.

My money is on something small....like the latter. If the car is not a rust bucket, I doubt it you broke anything major from driving over a small curb. My 2 cents is free.

Good luck
Denny

Thank you to everyone here. I think the winner is the lca adjuster-but because its a guess that's what it may have been. I took off the top mount to the shock before I raised the car. Shock expanded as I jacked up car- shock is good. Took tire off-everything looked good and tight. No seen broken spots or parts. Hmmm...
Reset ride height again. Everything good so far. Im thinking that maybe the height adjusters were kinked off to one side just enough that I didn't notice it when I was getting everything right in the first adjustments. Who knows?? I didn't tighten anything before car was own its own weight and height was adjusted- so bushings had no real stress on them. I also bounced car after every adjustment. Drove the car for about 12 miles-atleast- before this happened and even then it was from hitting a entrance curb a little rough- then drops about 3 inches?? Anyway- reset adjustments today-not to spec yet-just by fender lip height. Took for a spin and even went on some bumpy roads. Everything is good now. Will have to check rear leaf spring areas as 67 cuda said.
So basically everyone had great ideas and everyone was basically right. Thank you everyone. I will be on the lookout for strut rods and pivot pins for spares for next time.

-
Back