Hitchhikers

-
I haven't picked up a hitch hiker in decades. Of course, you don't see many, it might even be illegal in this state. When I was young and stupid, in the Navy, I ran across a "sweet young thing" out E of San Diego on a secondary road. "I looked carefully" for the "pals" hiding behind various things, and it turned out to be one--I didn't see

I stopped, and this guy came up behind the blind quarter. I looked around, he had tossed a bag through the rear side window, and was about halfway into the rear seat of the Roadrunner when he encountered the 3/8" deep dark black hole of the 4" Ruger. I had it in a shirt down in the channel next to the driver's seat/ door, and swung it around there with my left hand.

Told him to "get the **** out of my car."

He looked at me and grinned.

I moved it a bit closer to his face and yelled it again. Didn't even shut the door. Put it in gear and LEFT. His bag got ejected a short piece down the road.

This was sometime? around 71-72

I once picked up a hitchhiker, after a few minutes the guy said, “ aren’t you afraid of picking up a serial killer”? I said, “what are the odds of 2 serial killers riding together”?

I picked up a hitchhiker and he threw this big duffle bag in the back. Real nice guy. I asked him what was in the bag. He said none of you F’in business. When we stopped he got out and I just drove off. When I got home I noticed he left the big duffle bag in the back.

I picked up a hitchhiker and he threw this big duffle bag in the back. Real nice guy. I asked him what was in the bag. He said none of you F’in business. When we stopped he got out and I just drove off. When I got home I noticed he left the big duffle bag in the back.
so...what was in it?

I don't pick them up anymore.... usually. Last time was a few years ago, my wife and I picked up two young girls in Wisconsin with guitars, gave them a ride into Iowa. I just thought "what if the wrong person picks 'em up and I read about it in the paper....." IF and WHEN I do, I never let them get behind me, even the two girls sat beside me.

I actually did pick up a hitchhiker going from San Antonio to Eagle Pass. About a 3 hour drive of nothing in between. About halfway I saw an old man carrying one of those old suitcases, it was about 105 degrees. I was in my work truck. I drive by him and a bout a mile down the road I got this feeling I needed to go back. So I did. Turned out he was a traveling preacher he missed his bus back to his home church in Eagle Pass that stops at a gas station about 2 miles from where I picked him up.

I don't think my wife would play favor to me having two young girls from Wisconsin sitting next to me while she had to sit in the back....

When I traveled this country living in the back of my station wagon, I would pickup hitchhiking GI's. But that was 1966.

-
Back