Hmmm...Never had this happen before....

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Well I got the oil pump out....now what?

100_4792.jpg

100_4793.jpg

100_4794.jpg

100_4795.jpg

100_4798.jpg

100_4800.jpg

The old (I'm guessing stock 114,740 mile) oil pump was rattling at cold starts so I figured I have a few pumps on the shelf and a have a new motor mount so I will change both at the same time, no big deal. Then this!

So what do you guys think, can it be saved or should the motor come out and another go in? I have a line on a running 72 slant (Redscampi) and we are still waiting for the title so the car isn't going anywhere. Hey Ross you up for a quick motor swap?

see what happens when you leave well enough alone???
I might have time but as you know I am whoring right now then who knows???

It had to come out, it was starting to make a hell of a noise at start up. I'm glad that it did it in the drive way and not when Nikki was driving down I-90 to work or something. At least the slant is easy to swap, there is really nothing in the engine bay at all.

yep easy swap and you have time right now to do it. I got one I could sell yha. it supposedly ran when pulled.

I want to check out the one that Gary has, it is a current runner. What year is the one you have?

I don't remember I think it's a late one. It's pulled and sitting down on the farm right now just waiting to do something. I also have a good tranny but you don't need that. I bought it for a replacement for the scamp until we found the duster.

Well that bites! At least it was cheap and the body is nice! You could come down this afternoon and look at the motor I have if you want. It will have to be 5 or so though. I'll call you today.

Thats wild!!!! Did the pump gear shear or did it walk off the shaft? Did it come off when you removed it? If so its in the oil pan and you can just put on another pump and run it.
Please let us know what you think,
Frank

Frank, the gear didn't come off, the complete pump body broke. He could try sticking a pry bar down the distributer hole, and see if it will pop out.

I stuck my finger in there and felt around, the gear goes under the cam and there is other junk in the way. I would have to pull the pan in order to knock it out and if i'm going to pull the pan I would rather just drop in another motor with a 2bbl, all new gaskets that is painted and detailed.

Hey Gary, We are going to Billetproof today down in Chehelis, I will give you a call when we are on out way back and maybe we will swing by and take a look.

Just picked up an '84 D100 with the 225. No oil pressure whatsoever and a lot of noise. No knocking or squealing, just not a good noise.
Pulled the pan, everything looked okay, pulled the pump, there was part of the gasket in the pump and what looked like a gasket on the block as well as one on the pump.
Put new gaskets on and I have 35psi hot at idle (500rpm)
No noise, no problems. I think you'll be okay.....

-
Back