Hole in the rally dash

-

340jeff

Reaction score
I have recently been able to work on my 70 dart swinger. It has been on hold due to certain family prioritys, 4 kids , wife, 2dogs ect. I was putting togather my dash and was woundering what the hole is to the right of my radio in the bezel . Its a rally dash . The hole is about the size of my thumb?

Cigarette lighter goes in that hole and has a knob that looks like the head light switch knob.

Bezel is likely from a different car. My 68 Barracuda only has one cig lighter and the in dash position is where it is.

Bezel is likely from a different car. My 68 Barracuda only has one cig lighter and the in dash position is where it is.
Im not sure, but I it was a basket case when i got from a family member many years ago. He took it all apart with good intentions. and quit . Good for me I got real cheap as he needed the money. It was a lot of boxes when I brought all home and empty shell of a car.

I have a 70 as well and yes it came with 2 cigarette lighters...one on the dash and one in the ashtray...go figure... cuda dash has the one only....

When they added the lower dash pads to the 68 model they moved the lighter from that ashtray.

My '69 has two from the factory also. Kind of stupid but that is the way they built it.

My last 1970 340 Swinger had 3 Cigar Lighters!
1 in the Dash,
1 in the Ashtray on the Dash, AND
1 in the Ashtray in the console!
LIGHT ME UP!

Later,
Bruce B.

I had a 68 with two , one in the dash and one in the console. Some of the big cars of the era had personal lighters in the armrests of the back seats.

i know this is an ancient thread but my barracuda had two in the dash and one in the console. i guess the console one was incase the kids in the back seat needed to light one up too. it also had 6 ashtrays, all 4 armrests the dash and console.

Yes that's the cigarette lighter hole. My 1970 swinger has it as well. The reproduction bezels aren't cut for them, but it has a boss on the backside where to cut it. Every 340 swinger I've seen had the extra cigarette lighter.

2FE10AAC-F8AF-4A63-B9D8-7D8A306785A9-696-000000426E0111DF.jpg

Truth/insight about that lighter.. The lower dash pads were added to the 68 model only to protect the human knees. Those were in development before the federal seat belt laws removed the need for them. Anyway... Adding those lower pads created other issues,
Cant get the lighter in/out of the matching 68 tray location, Can't turn the radio knobs, etc..
Their solutions were to move the lighter out to the instrument panel and create a Thdumb wheel radio ( the wiper switch was rotated 90 degrees also ).
Along comes 1969 and those lower pads are gone. Easy enough to take one step backward there but those other changes were easier left so they remained. Therfore a 69 or later could have 3 lighters, 1 in the original tray location, one in the instrument panel, and another in the center console.

-
Back