Holley 1920 linkage

-

1965Dart270

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where my kickdown linkage is in these pictures? I'm having hard shifting problems with my 65 Dart with an automatic transmission so I wanted to adjust it. I've been looking at pictures of other people's carbs but nothing seems to look like mine?

Attachments

• CIMG0133.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 267
  • CIMG0137.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 197
  • CIMG0138.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 304
You can see some of it in your 2nd photo. It's the linkage that goes from that bracket/bellcrank on the firewall down to a lever on the transmission. One of the links should be adjustable.

The adjustment is at the vertical rod that runs up and connects to the bellcrank near the firewall, on the opposite leg of the bellcrank from the throttle return spring. To adjust it, you push the top of that vertical rod rearward towards the firewall until it snaps off its ball (the ball is on the bellcrank), then unscrew the top of the rod to make the linkage longer (which makes upshifts later and harder) or screw down the top of the rod to make the linkage shorter (which makes upshifts earlier and softer).

If your shifts are occurring at the right road speeds but the shift quality is poor, the problem is not the linkage.

What do you think it could be if I have really hard shifts into reverse and fairly hard shifts into what I think is 2nd gear? I know the transmission mount isn't bad. I don't know what else it could be.

Hard engagement in reverse could be excessive engine idle speed, but keep in mind reverse engagement will always be harder than engagement into a forward gear because apply pressure is higher in Reverse. Beyond that, harsh shifts can be caused by improper band adjustments, clogged filter, old or improper-type fluid.

Hard engagement in reverse could be excessive engine idle speed, but keep in mind reverse engagement will always be harder than engagement into a forward gear because apply pressure is higher in Reverse. Beyond that, harsh shifts can be caused by improper band adjustments, clogged filter, old or improper-type fluid.
Ok I'll check all those things out, thank you so much, you're the best

-
Back