Holley 4160 questions.

-

Badart

Reaction score
Engine is a 318 Comp XE256 cam, magnum heads, hooker comp headers, magnum dual plane intake and a holley 4160 600 carb. It is a fresh engine and I have finally got the timing and carb pretty close. My problem is when I go to tap the throttle (to bark the tires a little) the car dies as soon as I let off. The car will idle all day at 700 rpm in gear and does not stumble at all reving it or standing on it while driving. It actually pulls hard to 5000 for a 318. My squirters look like they are coming on as soon as I touch the throttle. Are my squirters too much or coming on too early? I am not sure what jets are in the primaries, but it seems really close. Thanks Fabo.

Adjust the float levels (front and rear) until the fuel is just starting to dribble out the sight holes on each fuel bowl.

Agreed, check float level first.

Make sure you aren't getting fuel sloshing out the vent tubes on decel. If you catch it before it stalls out, does it blow black smoke? Any easy test is take a piece of hose/tube long enough to reach each fuel bowl vent tube, connect it to each tube, arch up in the middle and cut a venting crescent in the tube at the top/center. this is fancy one but gives you an idea of what to do.

HLY-0-90470.jpg

id say with out hearing it bump the timing up 2degres.

Adjust the float levels (front and rear) until the fuel is just starting to dribble out the sight holes on each fuel bowl.

Best advise! I also noted the low Idle RPM. Bumping the timing up by two should idle it up a tad. I myself would have idled it @ 750 rpm's.

Did you adjust the tuning screws to the highest RPM via a vacuum gauge?

Do that after you make sure the fuel level is set. Then recheck the timing to be @ 32*'s and adjust the carb for highest vacuum, reset the idle to 750 and recheck for highest vacuum again. You should be set and good.

Best advise! I also noted the low Idle RPM. Bumping the timing up by two should idle it up a tad. I myself would have idled it @ 750 rpm's.

Did you adjust the tuning screws to the highest RPM via a vacuum gauge?

Do that after you make sure the fuel level is set. Then recheck the timing to be @ 32*'s and adjust the carb for highest vacuum, reset the idle to 750 and recheck for highest vacuum again. You should be set and good.

I have a vacuum gauge and completely forgot about it. I have not adjusted the floats at all yet. I am running an accel dist. When I set my initial timing by pulling my vacuum line to the dist at about 16 degrees my total timing is up to 40 degrees a 3K rpm. The car doesn't lug and is not hard starting. Should I go higher.

Does it die on hard stops?

Does it go then fall on it's face momentarily but then recovers after?

During hard braking the car does not stumble at all. Just when I tap the throttle while idling in gear it falls on it's face, but when I punch it there is no stumble.

I have a vacuum gauge and completely forgot about it. I have not adjusted the floats at all yet. I am running an accel dist. When I set my initial timing by pulling my vacuum line to the dist at about 16 degrees my total timing is up to 40 degrees a 3K rpm. The car doesn't lug and is not hard starting. Should I go higher.

Intial distributor setting should be started at 32*'s with the vacuum advance hose off and pluged. Limited the total advance to 52*'s at 3000 rpm's. This is a quick advance that your car should like.

Note, this much advance may have the car ping. If so, back down on the mechanical advance until it goes away.

Intial distributor setting should be started at 32*'s with the vacuum advance hose off and pluged. Limited the total advance to 52*'s at 3000 rpm's. This is a quick advance that your car should like.

Note, this much advance may have the car ping. If so, back down on the mechanical advance until it goes away.

That's what I get for asking someone who doesn't know. I was told intial should be 16-18 degrees and total should be around 36. WTF? That's my problem. Wow I feel stupid. Thanks Rumble

Naaaaa, don't feel stupid. That advice was a sound starting point. Now! how much the engine can tolorate is another issue. Hence my "Note" I left at the bottom. The setting sound closer to stock.

I will mess with the timing first and check, then put a vacuum gauge on it and let you guys know. Thanks again.

52* is with vac advance hooked up,fyi.

example= 12* initial, 32* mech adavance@3000+rpm,52* w/vac advance hooked up @ 3000rpm.C?

No # for total adv offered is gonna be right or wrong, only U can find out by driving it.
These are just 'in the relm' of where U need to be.

Wow you guys like to run lots of advance. Generally the more efficient magnum heads run best at 32 total (Initial + Mechanical), then add vacuum advance 2 degrees at a time until it pings on the highway on throttle tip in, then back off 2 degrees. The amount of initial advance the engine likes depends on a myriad of variables.

Note the suggestions by Mopar Performance on page 8 http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/dcc-3690426.pdf

This is what I saw at first, my mistake. :-D

When I set my initial timing by pulling my vacuum line to the dist at about 16 degrees my total timing is up to 40 degrees a 3K rpm. The car doesn't lug and is not hard starting. Should I go higher.

We my timing is now 18* initial, 32* mechanical and 49* total. If I go any further it starts to ping. I have not driven it yet (rain), but I will back it down from there. I may have found a small vacuum leak and have fixed it. I put my vacuum gauge on it and adjusted my idle mixture screws. They are best 2 turns out. I know the factory settings are 1.5 turns out. Is this alright? I set the idle rpm to 750 and at 2 turns out it doesn't stumble went it gets back to idle near as bad. This may have been my problem, but won't know for sure until I drive it. Thanks

Pulled a plug. What do you think? The flash has lightened it up a little. I think it looks pretty good. You still think I should go up a jet size?

maybe not, looks 'decent' or a lil fat, with exception of oil deposits.

OK, so you stab the throttle and let off real quick and it cuts out or dies?

-
Back