Holley 8007 (390cfm) Problems

-

Fishercuda

Reaction score
After searching the forums, I still wanted to posted this up as I haven't quite found the answer.

A couple days ago I drove the barracuda to a friends house, no problems. Started up, ran smooth.

I had to fix the turn signal relay as the previous one had burned out. I replaced it with the exact same model.

The car sat the rest of the day and again started up fine. As soon as I turned the block to head home, the engine started sputtering. I'd press the throttle and the car would spastically accelerate. Eventually it just died.

Pulled over and took the air cleaner off. The fuel filter (clear plastic universal) was completely full. When manually accelerating from the carb, I had smoke coming out of the barrels (guessing this is fuel boiling?).

Eventually after a lot of stalling, I got the car back to my friends and parked it.

Went back to it today. Pulled the carb off. Sprayed it through with sea foam carb spray to remove some gunk. Tried to pick up a new fuel filter, but they seem to be in high demand in my area (had to order one). Flushed the current filter with the sea foam spray as well.

Put the carb back on, reconnected all the hoses and again the same problem. Fuel filter fills completely with gas. The engine keeps sputtering. Now it's running for a bit, sputters, then dies. I've had fuel overflow from the carb, adjusted the float needles. Also had fuel skyrocket out of the vents. I've tried adjusting the idle, the air/fuel mixture screws. Nothing.

I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if there is too much fuel trying to pump in or not enough. When I accelerate from the carb, it sounds like it's trying to suck in a lot of air.

I haven't done anything technical yet (checking vacuum pressure, etc.)

Should also note, car is a slant, 225. I've had the carb on for three months now. This is the first time I've had any trouble with it.

I ultimately may have to take it to a shop, but wanted to try and fix it myself, with the help of fellow gearheads of course.

You might have picked up a piece of debris,in one of the needle and seat assemblies.You adjusted the needle and seat assemblies.Did you count the turns/use the sight plug,with the sight plug removed? Let's start there.....

Abodybomber, set the float via sight window to just a trickle of gas coming out. Although, when loosening the top screw to turn the float needle gas is pouring out (this may be normal, though I doubt it).

I put a new fuel filter on. Again filter fills up completely. No debris pulling into filter.

Checked the jets, both are clean. Spark plugs were a little black. Pulled and cleaned all plugs.

Cars now idles a little longer. Less spastic but no where near smooth and eventually sputters out.

Did the car backfire at all? Were the plugs wet,with fuel?

No back firing per say, but I did have a load of fuel rocket out from the vent holes once. Plugs were dry, but had been sitting overnight since first pull. Did smell gassy though. Did not do a second pull after cleaning , reinstalling and cranking as I had to leave.

Fuel out the vent hole.
Sounds like something in the needle and seat in the carb is holding it open.
Most likely dirt, junk from the gas tank fuel lines.
Or something might be holding the float down.

Not a lot of progress today. Soaking in carb cleaner and removing deposits carefully with a wire brush. Will update when carb is back together.

Thanks again to Abodybomber and sireland67.

Kudos,guy. Learning on the fly, hurts.Keep us posted ,guy.

-
Back