Holley "Blue" pump in '68 Barracuda?

-

Claudius

Reaction score
I scored a rebuilt Holley "Blue" fuel pump and a used Holley regulator for less than the cost of a new chrome mechanical pump. =P~

Now that I have the items in hand, I am seeking input from anyone who has installed an electric fuel pump assembly in a '67-'69 Barracuda engine bay. (Mine will have a small block but that probably does not matter.)

The regulator is small and light so that I think I can put it almost anywhere without being forced to bolt it down. (I do not have a mounting bracket for it so I may attach it right to the pump with a threaded fitting.) The pump itself is larger and much heavier than I ever expected.

Does anybody have any pictures that they would be willing to post that might help out?

Thx in advance! :hippy2:

The pump needs to be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible. They do much better at pushing than pulling and fuel under pressure has much less tendecy to vapor lock.

i would think that the pump would work better close to the tank as a pusher not a puller up in the bay....some of the pros will chime in im sure but thats where my pump is been there for yrs now no problems hay there you go ram was typing as i was typing hahaha

Yes, the pump needs to be close to the tank, helps to put a fram filter in line before the fuel reaches the pump, then mount the regulator as close to the carb as possible.

NHRA regs are fuel regulator no closer than 6 inches to firewall.

I guess I will be running some wiring from the engine bay. Where exactly did you mount the pump and filter? Is is possible to get a picture?

Thanks to all for the tips. I guess I will be looking for a different kind of filter than I had planned. What is the model number of the filter that you are suggesting?

Yes, the pump needs to be close to the tank, helps to put a fram filter in line before the fuel reaches the pump, then mount the regulator as close to the carb as possible.

NHRA regs are fuel regulator no closer than 6 inches to firewall.

I guess I will be running some wiring from the engine bay. Where exactly did you mount the pump and filter? Is is possible to get a picture?

Thanks to all for the tips. I guess I will be looking for a different kind of filter than I had planned. What is the model number of the filter that you are suggesting?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRM-HPG1/

Fram filter part# above.
fuel2-1.jpg

fuel-1.jpg

My Jegs pump, still running strong after 2 years on the street.
i will be switching to a black holley gerotor style pump which is supposed to be very quiet compared to this one.
I hear the holley blues are just as loud as my jegs pump.
1-30.jpg

My reg is closer than 6" to the firewall, but I'm not racing the car so no big deal.

I have yet to install this, but I have it, just need to hook it up.

It's an inertia fuel shut off switch that acts as a kill switch to the fuel pump in case you get rear ended and cannot shut the car down.
I got it from pegasus racing equipment.

1-31.jpg

Don't forget to install a fuel pump relay. You must install this and don't try running a hot wire just from your ignition! 30 amp should do. If you don't you could cook some wires or you pump will not get the amperage that it needs to run properly. Here is one from summit racing it even has a built in circuit breaker. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890023/

Don't forget to install a fuel pump relay. You must install this and don't try running a hot wire just from your ignition! 30 amp should do. If you don't you could cook some wires or you pump will not get the amperage that it needs to run properly. Here is one from summit racing it even has a built in circuit breaker. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890023/

Yeah, what he said.
I wired one into my fuel pump and electric fan circuits after I fried the switch to my fan, could have been ugly.

Gentlemen, what terrific advice. I would simply have run the hot wire and been in deep doo-doo. (Bad, baaaaaad electrical engineer...) The relay has been added to my pricing spreadsheet.

The many pictures are greatly appreciated and have served to answer other questions considered but not yet asked. :cheers:

The fuel system article has been bookmarked for further investigation later. I will likely put the regulator up near the carb like Terry has done. (I would love to see that machine up close because I am located not too far away from you.)

Quote: (I would love to see that machine up close because I am located not too far away from you.)

Funny you should mention, there's been a half a dozen times over the years that I've showed up in the middle of the night and left my calling card on mainstreet Carstairs. Make a long loud smoker then get out of town.8)

Where is your battery located?

To be on the safe side, I would run a 10-12 gauge wire directly from the battery through a 30 amp fuse to the relay or add a small auxiliary junction block/fuse block near the battery for the 30 amp circuit and then you only have to run a 14 gauge switch wire from the dash/factory wiring back to the relay. The wiring in these old cars wasn't designed to have additional circuits added to them, especially 20-30 amp circuits.

You can also get universal 20, 25, 30 and 40 amp relays at your local parts stores a lot cheaper than the speed shop or Summit.

I am far enough from main street that your calling card would not be heard in my house. :snakeman:

Every Saturday of the Mother's Day weekend, there is a show & shine in Didsbury and your toy would fit in nicely. They seem to get a very good turnout, with multiple streets closed off from traffic.

Quote: (I would love to see that machine up close because I am located not too far away from you.)

Funny you should mention, there's been a half a dozen times over the years that I've showed up in the middle of the night and left my calling card on mainstreet Carstairs. Make a long loud smoker then get out of town.8)

The battery is in the stock location, front driver's side. Do the kits provide decent instructions w.r.t. installation? I may be starting to regret not simply going with a mechanical pump... :munky2:

Where is your battery located?

To be on the safe side, I would run a 10-12 gauge wire directly from the battery through a 30 amp fuse to the relay or add a small auxiliary junction block/fuse block near the battery for the 30 amp circuit and then you only have to run a 14 gauge switch wire from the dash/factory wiring back to the relay. The wiring in these old cars wasn't designed to have additional circuits added to them, especially 20-30 amp circuits.

You can also get universal 20, 25, 30 and 40 amp relays at your local parts stores a lot cheaper than the speed shop or Summit.

-
Back