Holley Carb Electric Choke???

-

coalman

Reaction score
Have any of you Holley guys seen this one? Choke is wired to hot side of ignition, it opened to full open after start up. Any advice on what is going on? Choke is adjusted to the factory marks. Thanks a bunch....

Is the loop for the spring located properly over the tab for the choke?

Are you sure it is hooked up to a 12 V source?

I always run the power to a separate source because you don't want anything pulling the voltage down on your coil. Hook it straight to 12v and it should work fine.

12 Volt run side of ignition switch, has power, tab is in spring.. Thanks for the input.....

12 Volt run side of ignition switch, has power, tab is in spring.. Thanks for the input.....

Then try to turn the choke housing until the choke engages when cold and is straight open when warm...

Then try to turn the choke housing until the choke engages when cold and is straight open when warm...
I am letting the motor cool down, then I will richen up the joke setting, if that don't fix it, it might be the spring... Thanks

I am letting the motor cool down, then I will richen up the joke setting, if that don't fix it, it might be the spring... Thanks

You can get a good ballpark when it's warm by turning the housing until the choke butterfly just reaches vertical. then confirm when cold - it takes a few hours for it to fully cool, depending on the outside temp...

Bring it up here and it will be cool in a half hour - we're sitting at 16° F right now... Our hi for the day...

You can get a good ballpark when it's warm by turning the housing until the choke butterfly just reaches vertical. then confirm when cold - it takes a few hours for it to fully cool, depending on the outside temp...

Bring it up here and it will be cool in a half hour - we're sitting at 16° F right now... Our hi for the day...
It is cold down here too, 16 this morning.. Thanks

Mine is always open till I first press the gas. Flips closed on the first pump for start up, then slowly opens.

Mine is always open till I first press the gas. Flips closed on the first pump for start up, then slowly opens.

Yes,

And protect that 12v feed to the choke should it short out at a later time! Best deal is a timed relay to only supply voltage long enough to heat it. I chose to feed it with the wiper power that is protected with the internal circuit breaker in the wiper switch. If it fails I loose the wipers long enough to disconnect it. Don't drive in rain here if I can avoid it, so it is unlikely to be an issue.

It has to have power full time, if the power goes away the choke will cool off and close.

I talked to Holley Support yesterday, as I described the fast opening condition they said that the spring sounded tired/worn out. It is and older carb, model 80508, could very well be....

took me quite a few tries to get the choke where i wanted it on jamies dart... seems pretty good now.. guess you could have a weak spring.

I always adjusted this way

I am going with Holley on this, the carb is old and it goes full open within 30 seconds of starting....

-
Back