Holley/Demon Carb stumble

-
FWIW Here's measurements from the primary side of a 3310-2 I bought a couple years ago.
View attachment 1715377240

and here's measurements from someone else, from a 3310-1:
View attachment 1715377237

and the restrictions in the -1 I have on long term loan is .033 IFR and .078 IAB. That matches what others have found so its probably unaltered in that respect.

Thanks this will be useful.

Last edited:
Here's one on converting an E85 back to pump gas.
Alcohol carburetor/blocks return to gasoline use?...
Might be more. Seem like the concern was in the booster's passage, not the angle.

See if this application being discussed below looks similar to yours.
If so, then I'm with Mike - I'd start where Mark recommends, which is IFRs oround .035 - .036. (post 13.)
Annular HP1000 Emulsion Setup

Some discussion on QF 850s
Quick Fuel SS850 accel pump cams
I will read all three of them and thank you.
I just got "HOLLEY" Carburetors, Manifolds @ Fuel Injection. By Mike urich @ Bill Fisher.
So i can start milling threw that as well.:thumbsup:

I will read all three of them and thank you.
I just got "HOLLEY" Carburetors, Manifolds @ Fuel Injection. By Mike urich @ Bill Fisher.
So i can start milling threw that as well.:thumbsup:
Post back later what you think.

One secret to keep in mind, not mentioned in the book, is about about air:fuel ratios.
As we gently load an engine by increasing the throttle and letting the clutch grab, AFR should get leaner!
Arrow points to increasing load on the engine coming off of idle. F is fuel:air ratio. Inverse that and you'll get AFR but the exact number is not important. Every engine is a little different.
The point is the engine runs best with mixture going leaner as load increase, unless near maximum acceleration or load. Then it needs richer again.
upload_2019-8-11_14-9-40.png

from Walter B. Larew, Carburetors and Carburetion

Big secret.
wink-gif.gif

Post back later what you think.

One secret to keep in mind, not mentioned in the book, is about about air:fuel ratios.
As we gently load an engine by increasing the throttle and letting the clutch grab, AFR should get leaner!
Arrow points to increasing load on the engine coming off of idle. F is fuel:air ratio. Inverse that and you'll get AFR but the exact number is not important. Every engine is a little different.
The point is the engine runs best with mixture going leaner as load increase, unless near maximum acceleration or load. Then it needs richer again.
View attachment 1715377258
from Walter B. Larew, Carburetors and Carburetion

Big secret. View attachment 1715377260

Mattax posting some good stuff. I love it. Self education is real education.

How many time have you sent something out to be fixed because you didn't want to mess with it. just to have to fix it yourself in the end.
There is NO "carb shop" with in 200 miles of me. And a carb rebuild shop has enough smarts to clean and install new gasket. GUESS WHAT! I still have the same problem and it's just a cleaned passage carb now NOT WHAT MY PROBLEM IS! Yes i could just by that 1000 dollar carb.....and then, would STILL need to tune it. Just like you, i don't have a big wad of cash to throw at a problem, so i spend more money, a little at a time, and learn something. And with the help of this forum. I'm doing just that.
Thank you Everyone!!!!

You spend 1k on a carb and you may (maybe will have to change a jet or pump cam.

If you really want to get some on the phone help with a guy who will give you the shirt off his back, call Dom at Thumpr carbs. I class him with people like PHR, Mike at B3 and Chad Spier. When those guys are talking, I'm taking notes. Or Kevin Johnson. Those guys are giving you the best they can.

Dom will do the same. He is more than willing to talk you through some of the tune up stuff. In fact, I'm calling him in the morning to order some stuff. He may be able to sell you a couple of BLP blocks with his tune up in it and bolt them on and go. He blueprints all his stuff.

PM me if you want his number. Hell, if he answers he may help you today. I've got a 3 circuit Dominator sitting here I want converted to 2 circuit and a booster and Venturi change. That's a next spring deal.

So what is the 3 or 3d circuit do? seam like its in the dominator carbs more then standard carbs
Mattax, added that to my notes folder.

So what is the 3 or 3d circuit do? seam like its in the dominator carbs more then standard carbs
Mattax, added that to my notes folder.
Intermediate circuits.
Not spent much time learning about them. Used on some Chrysler emissions carbs (Because they ran very lean idle circuits and this let them seperate the transition slot so it had its own circuit).
All I can do here is refer to Tuner. He says the development on Dominators was for independent runner intakes.
Independant Runner intake with Split 4500

3 circuit blocks on 4150

Thanks Mattax
Had alway wonder about what the 3 channel was all about. As well as why you would need a power valve in the secondary side. Thanks YR for that.

have been reading some other thread and need some descriptions of these acronyms in RED

acronyms.PNG

And half the guys use MAB and the other half uses HSAB. (Main Air Bleed, and High Speed Air Bleed)
LOL.
It's good excersize fer da brane. :eek:
laugh2-gif.gif

Here’s a couple more......
What’s been referred to in this thread as the “kill bleed”, I call the “siphon break”.
To me, the kill bleed is the bleed used in the vacuum secondary opening system.

What is referred to as the “angle channel”, I learned as the “crossover leg”.
However, googling that turns up nothing....... so that must not be a very popular term for it.

Last edited:
Yeah just like when i built my first flow bench, was swimming in acronyms for a while.:D

Still measuring holes in carb, but here is my next step
Super Sucker.JPG

SUPER SUCKER!!!

Nope got it all torn apart to do some measuring and install a new Proform base plate, Rear float and Jet extensions.
So Mitty Demon with Proform base and main body, so far.
Here is the spread sheet with all the data i have discovered column B is the current or latest setup. I'm going back to the jetting that was popping and banging. If it does it again i will jet it back up. But I want to see how it will act with 4 jet sizes down from Stock Proform Set up.(because i live at 6600 feet) should need less main jet.

If it pops and bangs i'm going to half to except that the demon metering block was calibrated with larger jets then normal and go back up to the jetting that stopped the lean pop.
spread sheet Primary.PNG

spread sheet secondarys.PNG

The Super Sucker is just to help out velocity for a carb that's to big(slow velocity) for my application. One of the things that Dom felt would help.

Woops Primary IFR is the same as the rear at .054"

Last edited:
Nope got it all torn apart to do some measuring and install a new Proform base plate, Rear float and Jet extensions.
So Mitty Demon with Proform base and main body, so far.
Here is the spread sheet with all the data i have discovered column B is the current or latest setup. I'm going back to the jetting that was popping and banging. If it does it again i will jet it back up. But I want to see how it will act with 4 jet sizes down from Stock Proform Set up.(because i live at 6600 feet) should need less main jet.

If it pops and bangs i'm going to half to except that the demon metering block was calibrated with larger jets then normal and go back up to the jetting that stopped the lean pop.
View attachment 1715379296
View attachment 1715379298
The Super Sucker is just to help out velocity for a carb that's to big(slow velocity) for my application. One of the things that Dom felt would help.
How much is a super sucker?

But I want to see how it will act with 4 jet sizes down from Stock Proform Set up.(because i live at 6600 feet) should need less main jet.
That's a big drop. I'd play it safer and go 2 jets.
If its too rich, worst case is foul the plugs bad.
Too lean at WOT, I'd be afraid of burning a piston. Maybe that depends somwhat on the timing but I'd play it safe.

.029/.029/.029
IMO too little restriction on the air into the wells.
Start with less, change if needed.

Here's what weird looks like.
When AFR looks like this, jetting isn't going to fix it.
First thing I did when returning to the dyno was confirm what I suspected, which was the secondaries were the main issue.
Take a look at the AFR curves starting at 4000 rpm, which is where 3rd gear full WOT begins.
upload_2019-8-15_15-11-36.png

AFR for primaries is flat. We can jet up or down within reason and its going to stay flat.
AFR with secondaries looks goes lean and rich and lean again like a yo-yo.

So clearly I need to fix the seconday curve. Where to start?
AFR above was picked picked up with a tailpipe sniffer.
Lets look at these runs on a logger (WBO2 in a bung) for a little more speed and detail.

The first thing we notice is that its going lean as the secondary throttle open, and then goes rich.
This is classic "too many" or "too large" holes from the air well.
There is also the possibility it relates to the secondary idle system. H'm. After all there's little time at WOT for anything to stabalize.
Finally, there is a long drift lean from 4750 rpm (13.7 seconds) to 5800 rpm.

upload_2019-8-12_19-42-3-png.png

My logic has been this way.
The drift at the high rpms is probably main air bleed. So first experiment should have been smaller SMAB (shove some wires in).
But I didn't have the sizes needed with me. Ended up just switching around the e-hole I blocked with only little effect.
Now I've got it set up and ready to test again.
I'm thinking it will be flatter, and probably richer than best power. But I'm not going to jet leaner until I see that lean drift go away!

As fate has had it, I haven't been able to get on a dyno or the 1/4 mile with a logger since then.
And now the car headers - although I don't think that will effect the curve - but of course I want to see what the new ET, and Mph are. :)

PS. The MABs can effect the initiation of fuel flow. It's just that their strongest effect is at higher rpms. Which way going larger or smaller with the bleed will effect lower rpm AFR, if at all, is pretty hard to know without tons of experience and notes. (Don't look at me, I just tinker a little and see what happens)

Tuner posted:
Graph showing Main and Emulsion Bleed behavior from Edward F. Obert's book, Internal Combustion Engines.
Holes A and B are "Emulsion" bleeds.
D is the Main Air Bleed.
This is a generalized description of carb bleed behavior. Venturi area relative to main circuit flow path area and engine air flow range affect these characteristics.

106_a11b56f375969effcef56d9f85df1588.jpg

-
Back