Holley floods engine

-
Ron's Hat
Screenshot_20191206-205837.png

Call FST and order a 750 with NO CHOKE. They are reasonably priced. You will need to fix the tune up, like every other Holley and Holley clone ever made.

Once you do that, you’ll have a great carb. An edelbrock isn’t the answer. Neither is what you have. Sell that.

yeah I'm not dicking with anything that doesn't have a choke. This is a street car in western PA. Spring and fall we have 40 degree mornings and 80 degree afternoons. A choke is a necessity. I gave up on the no choke silliness when I was a kid.
I just need to get this thing running a driving to assess if any of the drivetrain is worth the powder to blow it to hell. Like I said it came in a bunch of boxes. Once it is a functioning vehicle I'll start improving it.

I am looking into the street demons. Seems like a more user friendly tq. The problem is when i got rid of my last A body I said never agiain and I got rid of almost all of my spare parts also or I would have already had a tq on it for testing.
I

I am looking into the street demons. Seems like a more user friendly tq. The problem is when i got rid of my last A body I said never agiain and I got rid of almost all of my spare parts also or I would have already had a tq on it for testing.
I
I'm sure none of the parts that you had would have been interchanged anyways. It has standalone primary Jets and standalone metering rods that belong to that carburetor only. It uses Edelbrock Springs and Edelbrock accelerator pump and it has Holley secondaries...
How do I know?.. I got two of them..
IMG_20200315_102607.jpg

yeah I'm not dicking with anything that doesn't have a choke. This is a street car in western PA. Spring and fall we have 40 degree mornings and 80 degree afternoons. A choke is a necessity. I gave up on the no choke silliness when I was a kid.
I just need to get this thing running a driving to assess if any of the drivetrain is worth the powder to blow it to hell. Like I said it came in a bunch of boxes. Once it is a functioning vehicle I'll start improving it.

I live where sub freezing temps are the norm. I never use a choke.

I’ll never understand why everyone think a choke is a good thing. Do what you want. I’ve given you enough you can fix it if you want.

What you really need to do is learn a little bit about how carbs work.
Go buy a used copy of Urich and Fisher's Holley Carburetors and Manifolds, HP Books.
I'm sure you can find it for less than $10 delivered.
While waiting for that, there's always Mr Tech 1966 carburetor fundementals in the Chrysler Master Tech series on-line

Dano and Val gave you good advice.
Buying another carb isn't going to do you any good. You still won't understand them. Still will hate them. And still will be frustrated when something doesn't work right.
The picture of that carb in the link Dano posted showed bowls with sight plugs. If yours has sight plugs then that's what you have to check.
A carb, particularly a Holley, that has sat for 4 months, never mind a year, should be checked over if it had fuel in it.
I don't always listen to my own advice - just had leaking and overfilling secondary bowl on my cuda after sitting 6 months. LOL. Then I followed my advice.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What you really need to do is learn a little bit about how carbs work.
Go buy a used copy of Urich and Fisher's Holley Carburetors and Manifolds, HP Books.
I'm sure you can find it for less than $10 delivered.
While waiting for that, there's always Mr Tech 1966 carburetor fundementals in the Chrysler Master Tech series on-line

Dano and Val gave you good advice.
Buying another carb isn't going to do you any good. You still won't understand them. Still will hate them. And still will be frustrated when something doesn't work right.
The picture of that carb in the link Dano posted showed bowls with sight plugs. If yours has sight plugs then that's what you have to check.
A carb, particularly a Holley, that has sat for 4 months, never mind a year, should be checked over if it had fuel in it.
I don't always listen to my own advice - just had leaking and overfilling secondary bowl on my cuda after sitting 6 months. LOL. Then I followed my advice.:rolleyes:

You are correct. I should learn more about carbs. Hell I knew a lot more 15 years ago. I quit wrenching on things back then and forgot a LOT. It is embarrassing how much I forgot about wrenching. But I'm in an entirely different profession now and in the middle of two remodels. One to live in one to rent or flip so my time is super limited.

This project is strictly to teach the boy how to work on things which is why when he lost interest we stopped. Now he is interested again and work resumes. Who needs sleep anyway. But his school and track schedule limit wrenching time as well.

So this is a long drawn out way of saying I have no idea when i will get time to educate myself on the holley. But I had forgotten I loaned my old man a shiney new edelbrock 750. So we bolted it on with the adjustable regulator reading 4psi. Let the pump fill the bowls pumped it twice and it ran. I still have a bit of a intermittent miss but I can't hear any rods hammering or valve train noise over the open headers so combined with the compression tester readings I'm going to pronounce this engine good enough and we will keep working on getting this heap driving.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I have forgotten so much since I built my last one I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions.

You are correct. I should learn more about carbs. Hell I knew a lot more 15 years ago. I quit wrenching on things back then and forgot a LOT. It is embarrassing how much I forgot about wrenching. But I'm in an entirely different profession now and in the middle of two remodels. One to live in one to rent or flip so my time is super limited.

This project is strictly to teach the boy how to work on things which is why when he lost interest we stopped. Now he is interested again and work resumes. Who needs sleep anyway. But his school and track schedule limit wrenching time as well.

So this is a long drawn out way of saying I have no idea when i will get time to educate myself on the holley. But I had forgotten I loaned my old man a shiney new edelbrock 750. So we bolted it on with the adjustable regulator reading 4psi. Let the pump fill the bowls pumped it twice and it ran. I still have a bit of a intermittent miss but I can't hear any rods hammering or valve train noise over the open headers so combined with the compression tester readings I'm going to pronounce this engine good enough and we will keep working on getting this heap driving.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I have forgotten so much since I built my last one I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions.
Lol... Good old shelf Edelbrock to the rescue.... Another member is giving a new member a 1406 carburetor and I suggested just giving it a try before you rebuild it... I know Holley aren't this way in most cases but every time I've gotten an Edelbrock that sat on the shelf for a couple years then sold to me for ten bucks then set on my shelf for a couple few months or more and I end up slapping it on something I've had tremendously good luck or just ran fine. Of course any carburetor needs just a little fine-tuning judgment but it didn't need a rebuild kit.
I'm glad to hear everything's working fine and having the engine running sure helps keep the younger ones enthused...

Tip: Holley's don't need a rebuilt kit from just sitting 4 months. Just remove the bowls, do a quick cleaning to remove any varnish from the old fuel. Then reinstall and tighten to spec. If I know I'm going to park it, I treat it the same way I do small engine carbs (like on my vintage sno-thro). Run some 'storage fuel' in it before putting it away. Examples are 'storage fuels' are VP's small engine fuel or C-9, or Sunoco's non-oxygenated GT.

Sunk floats, needle/seat assembly outer o-rings harden/shrink and garbage in the needle and seat are all issues for holleys now. The o rings are really bad unless they are the green ones and those are even getting thrashed by todays fuel.

-
Back