Holley or Edelbrock carb

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
ok got mypreformer intake for my 318 install. Now i need card advise Holly 600 or the eddy preformer (600 or 650).

What are the pros and cons to each. What do others prefer?

Man I always complain about holley but I have to admit for jets and everything else holley is no1 :salute:

unless you are going for a big cam also i would buy the edelbrock carb they run nice out of the box and are easy to tune since you can change meteringrods without opening the carb, and to me edelbrock carbs have always been trusted and economical carbs :)

"Toolbox in the Trunk" is the motto for using a Holley.

They arent bad but getting them to work perfectly on your application is, then keeping them there is even harder.

Dont know a thing about Edelbrock but would be a good choice.

i am either going with the stock cam or a mild one,havent decided yet, but i want some thing that will give me little problems and still give me good preformance.

Holley has been around forever, ive just always assumed that every car had one, but that doesnt mean there the best.

Carbs are exspensive and i what your oppinion on this matter before i buy :toothy7:

Holeys leak, Edelbrocks don't. Holleys are generlly cheaper unless you buy one of ther blinged-up Avengers. On a basically stock 318 a Holley 1850 would do just fine, as would a 1406 Eddy. A used but rebuilt Carter 9636 would also be a good bet if you come across one for a good price.

I have used nothing but Holleys for 25 years and I have not had any problems with them at all. They have the advantage of having tons of tuning parts available and being the most versatile as far as set-up options are concerned. Once I have set one up I have not had to play with it any further.

I have read some good things about Demon carbs but I do not know anyone that has used one.

If your going basically stock or mild cam the holley 600 is fine for your application....had a Edelbrock on a car i bought a while back never liked the way it perfomed,replaced it with a holley much better performance by far....

ok ...i still cant decide....
1)i hear the holley will give you about 20 more hp. is this true.
2)I dont want to tune this thing all the time, but I want the preformance.

The other thing is....Is the enduro shine or the shiney(holley) worth the price difference?

I want the carb to look good sittin up there with little or no maintenance at keeping it that way.

Heres my setup so far
68 318
eddy preformer intake
Carb to be 600-650 (650 being the AVS, is it better?)
comp cam kit k20-222-3
8 3/4 with 3.23

not to much done but thats what I have or will have

I doubt you would see those kind of gains in you application so I wouldnt let horsepower be to big of a factor.Ive had zero issues with my holleys and when set up they have performed flawlessy and reliably.Im not sure why so many say holleys are unreliable and wont hold a tune but like most things its probaly a combination of an inexperienced builder/tuner and regurgitated folklore.With that being said I do like the carter design and thinks its an indestructable carberator and is dead on reliable in everyday driving.While its not as tunable as a holley thats usually what makes people happy with them lol,If I had a combo like yours and wasnt worried about every last h.p. I would bolt one on and not lose a minutes sleep over it.

I got an Eddy on the Duster now. But I have a Holley at the
carb shop right now. It will be going on this spring.
The eddy is good for normal street use, but Holleys do
work better on the strip.
I think I have to much cam for the Eddy.

20 hp more for a Holley?!? Compared to a 2bbl perhaps, but a properly setup similarly sized carb will deliver similar hp, mpg and ET #'s. If you want a carb that will stay shiny and not leak go for the Eddy. I like the green of a plain Holley so I wouldn't spend extra for one of the shiny ones. If the car was to be a cutthroat bracket racer (and I couldnt run fuel injection) I'd run a Holley because it is easier to tune at the track. If the car was mostly street driven and I wanter to "jet it, set it and forget it" Edelbrock/Carter AFB hands down.

Now, the above being said, I wouldn't go out and spend money on a new Eddy if I had a Holley 1850 or 3310 gathering dust on a shelf. Any of the above should work fine for your combo with some basic setup.

Ran a 650 AVS on my hopped up 318 for about a year and a half daily driving. 1.9 60ft & 14.0 1/4 for 3,600lb 318 car at 5,200ft isn't tooooooo bad. It was turnkey, 30*, 113* after heatsoaking, always ran awesome since it was bolted on, i've done a fair share of fine tweaking to get the most i can out of it. But it ran very well and I'd buy another anyday.

its hiding under there with the dual feel for kicks.

valve1.jpg

valve1.jpg

I have a ede AVS on mine right now I love it! all I have changed are meetering rods.

I had a holley on once before but it scared this **** out of me wen the accelerator pump cam was too worn and got wedged with the throttle linkage and got stuck at W.O.T. That carb was put on by my dad while I was in Kosovo one year it did run pretty good though before that happened.

Before that though I had a Thermoquad and I loved it also I just ran out of parts in the old strip kit I had for it so the tuning was very limited! I will be trying it out this summer once I get a new set of high flow needle and seats for it from www.thermoquads.com

sublimeswinger said:
Will the eddy 650 avs be to much carb for my setup?
Heres my setup so far
68 318
eddy preformer intake
Carb to be 600-650 (650 being the AVS, is it better?)
comp cam kit k20-222-3
8 3/4 with 3.23

I like the AVS over the AFB. The AVS flows more becasue of the airdoor vs. the counter wieghted door takes up less room. More air can pass due to this.
I just know what the Edelbrock Hybred looks like looking down into the secondarys. I do know that the Edel. carb uses boosters where the OE AVS uses spray bars.

Ethier carb will do. The throttle bores should be the same.

Sublime. In the future, type in the specs of the cam so we know what they are without looking them up in a book or other window on the computer please.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be a modified AFB. The air door for the secondarys is able to be adjusted for it opening rate. On OE, AVS carbs, theres a screw that holds the tenstion spring. The tenstion spring can be wound tighter for a later opening or loosened up for an earlier opening. I think this is an advantage. Not to mention a few more cfm.

On the performer, the weighted air door can be made lighter for a quicker opening. But putting weight back on. Now thats different and not so easy for everybody. I have several secondary air velocity doors to lighten up to experiment with. These doors are not able to be purchased seperatly.

well i was thinking of going with a dp holley, but my dad says they junk, if you take em apart u might as well throw em away lol, from what ive read and such eddy is better for straight out of the box stuff, just my opinion

Edelbrock!

unless you like fiddling with the holley all the time

I used to run a holley and switched to a Carter (nearly same thing as edelbrock)

I put a kit in it, uped the jets a few steps and never had to touch it again

Edelbrock!

The Holleys I've had over the rears was hard to keep in tune after a good year of running them out of the box. Also when you want to do any changes to the Holley jets you get fuel coming out of the bowl in which you have to put something under it to catch the fuel. The Edlelbrock does not do this becauce the top comes off instead the sides. My friend switched to Edlebrock not long ago and he was a Holley man to the core. He told me I needed to get rid of the Holley thinking because he loved his Edlebrock. I have a Edlebrock on mine now.

For most street driving I always recomend the edelbrock/carter carbs, for all out performance I recomend holley or demon carbs..........kim..........

-
Back