holley or edelbrock?

-

73dodge

Reaction score
i'm looking into getting either a holley 770 avenger carb or the edelbrock 750 carb. Which is easier to run on a daily driver? I don't really know how to tune carburators. I want something i can bolt on and be consistent and reliable. It's going on a 408" stroker small block that makes about 375 hp and 460 ft lbs.

Ethier will do. The Carter is a little more confusing to tune since your doing math alot between the rod and jet and then the step up size in power mode. But I do like them alot. Super fine tuning can be a pain for ethier carb when your new to it all.

A Holley is alittle easier to tune because your just doing jets. Once you figure out the power valve size needed, as in vacuum on the engine divided by 2 equals power valve size, your done there. Then it's just larger or smaller jets to swap in.

The Holley can be a little messy when you pull the bowls off. Just get a cup to catch the gas inside the bowl. Holley also sells bowls with screws on the back to quickly change the jets without bowl removal. A little expensive, but worht it if you race or tune alot for varied conditions.

The Carter has the top half come off, but is a pain with the little clips. Other than that, it is easy.
They both come with instructions on how to help tune and theres plenty of info on the web. A O2 meter would be great to add on.

id go with a holley because of the simplicity, availability of parts and theyve been around forever.

thanks for the info, but i was hoping not to have to mess with that stuff. I thought i could just bolt on and turn a few screws. I'm looking for out of the box reliability.

i'm looking into getting either a holley 770 avenger carb or the edelbrock 750 carb. Which is easier to run on a daily driver? I don't really know how to tune carburators. I want something i can bolt on and be consistent and reliable. It's going on a 408" stroker small block that makes about 375 hp and 460 ft lbs.

Out of the box,bolt on,for a daily driver I say the Edelbrock.

High performance,street car,drag car,Holley.

I love my holley but hoping to get a little better gas mileage, even 1 or 2 mpg-it help, I found 2 carters, 1 afb, 1 avs. This spring I tune them and see how I like them, if not I e-bay them.

Any carb will need a tune OOTB, it is just that simple. And all it needs.

my car runs a holley, but this a six of one, half dozen of the other issue. both carbs are great. on an edelbrock, as soon as the box is opened, you need to take the top airhorn off and reset the floats. they are NEVER right. i would get a person near you that feels confident in their abilities to do a basic carb tune for you.

Whichever you buy, check on Amazon.com. I bought a Holley 4150/770cfm for $320 asked for standard 7-9 day shipping (free) and had it in 3 days.

i realize that i have to tinker with the setting but what i don't know how to do is to mess with floats and changing jets and any of the other stuff that i consider more in depth. I am leaning towards the 770 avenger, it sounds like there may be less hassle. anybody use any of the avenger carbs?

i realize that i have to tinker with the setting but what i don't know how to do is to mess with floats and changing jets and any of the other stuff that i consider more in depth. I am leaning towards the 770 avenger, it sounds like there may be less hassle. anybody use any of the avenger carbs?
I bought a new 670 Street avenger for my truck's 360. I didn't like it at all - I had a real tough time tuning it in. It also idled like crap. I replaced it with a rebuilt and tweaked '73 thermoquad - the engine now purrs like a kitten and screams at WOT. I also have a 750 Edelbrock performer carb on my Charger's 440 - no major complaints with that.

for a street car there is nothing easier than the Edelbrock

for a first timer trying to learn - Edelbrock

for racing - Holley

THe Edlebrock is very very simple...............no gasket below the fuel line, no vacumm stuff (mech secondaries), and I can tune it with 2 allen wrenches, a flat tip OR a leatherman and 1 allen head (and yes I use to do that)

The Eddy gets alot of crap because its not a race part.............but truth be told, one of my best firneds ran high 10's with one and it never leaked, it never had issues, and as far as I know is still out there (somewhere) running strong.

I run a Baryy Grant part, but if I had a street car for tooling around, I would buy another Eddy in a heartbeat.

I have a Street Avenger 670 on my 360 (~370 HP). This has been the closest to out of the box an onto the engine and forget it carb I have ever had. Tried a couple of secondary springs, tweaked the choke setting and haven't touched it since. Plus it gets 2.5 mpg better than the 600 i was using and 5 mpg better than the 3310 750 I tried (17-18 around town 21-22 on the hiway) and it doesn't give up anything the butt dyno can detect to the 750, plus has the same great throttle reposne and mid range driveability as the 600.

I had tried a BG 725 Demon carb on my 360 and had problems. BG's tech line is useless and i would recomend you stay away from them just because you won't get any after purchase support.

If your car is strickly street and you are shooting for 375 HP I would go with the 670 Street Avenger over the 770 Street Avenger. These carbs are wet flowed so they actually flow quite a bit more than a dry flow rated carb. I.E., the 770 is actually a lot bigger than the 20 cfm rated difference when compared to the 750 Edelbrock.

If you want the best bang for the buck..a quick fuel carb is the way to go,they're pricey though,if you don't want to spend the cash a holley 3310 should get the job done,they're basically a universal carb,i had a Edelbrock on one of my previous 340's was not impressed with it at all,same thing with a Demon i had....

I had a eddy 600 on my 69 Barracudas 340 for years. Great street carb IMO. Next motor I may try a 670 Street avenger though,

i realize that i have to tinker with the setting but what i don't know how to do is to mess with floats and changing jets and any of the other stuff that i consider more in depth.

Floats adjustments and jet changes are not in depth (Nor is a rod swap) and they are the most basic of tuneing on carbs. You just cut yourself out of the picture for touching a carb.
Exp. in twisting the screws counts for allmost absoultely nothing on how to tune a carb.

If you purchase a Holley, be prepared to get a box of jets.

If you get an Edelbrock/Carter, be prepared for a jet and rod kt.

Working on a carb is not like rebuilding a trans. Both the Holleys and Carters seem pretty easy, the Q-jets and T. Q. are not--too me.

There is guys who won't touch their carb, for them a good carb shop is needed. Depending on where you live, you could drop the car off or you need to ship your carb to them and have all the info of your motor.

They are not cheap and really are not needed. However if you are looking to sqeeze every bit of power, they might be able to do it better than us. They go though the metering blocks, boosters--racers claim .010 matters if the boosters are not center, IDK--guess they claim all Holleys are off, they seem fine to me.

Then again, none of us would pay $2,000 or more for a carb

i agree with either the eddy 600(performer#1406) or the holley 670 street avenger. the eddy 650 is a avs design(spring operated rear air door), so no need to add a variable you don't need to know about right now.

the eddy booklet walks you thru it and tells you which rod/jet changes to go to if needed and how to adjust the floats.

for a not to insane streetmotor and especiely to someone who are not familiar with tuning carbs, i would strongly recomend the edelbrock they are supersimple and anyone can learn to tune one just given some time and patience and they run troublefree almost forever !

i agree with either the eddy 600(performer#1406) or the holley 670 street avenger. the eddy 650 is a avs design(spring operated rear air door), so no need to add a variable you don't need to know about right now.

the eddy booklet walks you thru it and tells you which rod/jet changes to go to if needed and how to adjust the floats.

73dodge, I'm going to have to disagree with redfastback, but he does make sense about complicating things. But I do not think an adjustable airdoor will add to problems.

While the air door can be tuned and add's one more thing to a list, it should be left alone until the primarys are tuned and that is where the most power comes from. Then you can move onto tuning the secondarys. After that, you can tune the air doors opening rate. Best to do that at a drag strip where you can see the times rise and fall.

Have no fear. Do one change at a time. It isn't hard, just consumes time. Take your time. You'll be fine.

I put a 670 avenger on a 340 a while ago and it ran decent out of the box ... I have a few other engine issues to address, but I really like the Holley ... Also, as someone else mentioned, Amazon.com had the best price out there, and it was here in a few days ...

Good luck,

Kenny
PS .. (Rob, I'm gonna have to get you up here from the big island next Spring to help me fine tune that 340)

-
Back