Holley Pro Dominator install. Carb setup

-

cpearce

Reaction score
Well after a very busy stretch for quite some time, life slowed down enough for me to work on the car. Last night off came the Victor W2 and Edelbrock 800 AVS 2, and on went the Pro Dominator and 2 AVS 2 650's.

I know these are not the beloved 4150 carbs with the utmost in tune ability, but I really loved the 800 AVS 2 I have been running for the past 2 years. This car sees a lot of highway usage, as well as spirited driving, the AVS 2 carbs for me seem to be a nice compromise between performance, ease of operation and simplicity.

I chose to run 2 650's vs the recommended 500's, so I don't pigeon hole myself if needs require later. The primary bores are the same as the 500's with the difference being the larger boosters of the 500's. I bought some booster sleeves to fit over the 650 boosters, effectively dropping 100cfm out of the carbs with a non permanent mod, now the primary sides are identical to the 500 AVS 2 carbs, with secondary side on demand.

The elevation where I live is 3000 ft. In the past, I have always jetted carbs down 2 steps from sea level, out of the box calibration to accommodate the elevation, the results are usually close. In this case, I have jetted the primary side down 2 steps from Edelbrocks standard 500 tuning, and the secondary side down 2 steps from their 650 setpoint. This was to be my baseline setting.

Having not run dual quads before I am now second guessing my baseline settings, thinking that due to the vaccum signal being split between 2 carbs, the draw on each venturi, and jet may actually be less, meaning I should have left jetting a little richer?

I am also installing an AEM 02 sensor to assist in my tuning once I get up and running.

I am not looking for someone to tune my car from a distance, rather share their thoughts on initial settings, and whether I am off base with my thoughts.

Please no comments about should have used 4150's, not looking to be class winner at the track, while not a fair grounds cruiser either. This car gets driven, and sees trips as well as some daily use in summer.

20230713_192736.jpg

20230713_212336.jpg

20230713_213423.jpg

Last edited:
Very interested in how this goes for you. I have a dual tunnel (TR1) to try and the plan was to use two 650 avs2 carbs since I’m running one already.

Not sure why you think guys here would lose their minds about not being 4150s... AVSs get plenty of love.. and i and others use street demons (TQ knockoff)... use what ya like :)

Personally I would jet them for altitude as you explained and run it. Fact of the matter is either way is a baseline. You’re more than likely going to have to change it anyway. Just my $.02

Lets see a pic of the linkage ?
Did you use the Edelbrock adapters to mount carbs forward ?

I did use Edelbrock adapter plates. Made the rod joining carbs, Lokar throttle bracket at back.
20230325_152724.jpg

Not sure why you think guys here would lose their minds about not being 4150s... AVSs get plenty of love.. and i and others use street demons (TQ knockoff)... use what ya like :)
I am with you, many feel you need 4150's and their infinite tuneability on t-rams.

Personally I would jet them for altitude as you explained and run it. Fact of the matter is either way is a baseline. You’re more than likely going to have to change it anyway. Just my $.02
Thanks

Following! I also have 2-650, AVS carbs to go up top my W2-M1-TR.

very cool stuff, absolutely love the Pro-Dominator intake! BTW: you run a hydraulic roller cam? I do also, is there any problem with pushrod clearance with the offset rockers?

Michael

That's badass. As short as those runners are, that thing should be a stump puller down low.

That whole package deal, short intake runners, W2 heads, are very conducive to high rpm. A high, lift long duration cam works excellent in this set up. This is where the W2 stuff shines the best. Let’er rip potato chip!

This is one the things The Mad scientist, Yellowrose speaks about.

Well after a very busy stretch for quite some time, life slowed down enough for me to work on the car. Last night off came the Victor W2 and Edelbrock 800 AVS 2, and on went the Pro Dominator and 2 AVS 2 650's.

I know these are not the beloved 4150 carbs with the utmost in tune ability, but I really loved the 800 AVS 2 I have been running for the past 2 years. This car sees a lot of highway usage, as well as spirited driving, the AVS 2 carbs for me seem to be a nice compromise between performance, ease of operation and simplicity.

I chose to run 2 650's vs the recommended 500's, so I don't pigeon hole myself if needs require later. The primary bores are the same as the 500's with the difference being the larger boosters of the 500's. I bought some booster sleeves to fit over the 650 boosters, effectively dropping 100cfm out of the carbs with a non permanent mod, now the primary sides are identical to the 500 AVS 2 carbs, with secondary side on demand.

The elevation where I live is 3000 ft. In the past, I have always jetted carbs down 2 steps from sea level, out of the box calibration to accommodate the elevation, the results are usually close. In this case, I have jetted the primary side down 2 steps from Edelbrocks standard 500 tuning, and the secondary side down 2 steps from their 650 setpoint. This was to be my baseline setting.

Having not run dual quads before I am now second guessing my baseline settings, thinking that due to the vaccum signal being split between 2 carbs, the draw on each venturi, and jet may actually be less, meaning I should have left jetting a little richer?

I am also installing an AEM 02 sensor to assist in my tuning once I get up and running.

I am not looking for someone to tune my car from a distance, rather share their thoughts on initial settings, and whether I am off base with my thoughts.

Please no comments about should have used 4150's, not looking to be class winner at the track, while not a fair grounds cruiser either. This car gets driven, and sees trips as well as some daily use in summer.

View attachment 1716114517

View attachment 1716114518

View attachment 1716114519

I also have a pair of 650 AVS II’s to be mounted on my M1-TR.

Back in 2018 I knew a fella that had a pair of competition thermoquad 850s on a max wedge....I bought the pair of carbs...now he has a pair of thermoquad comp 1000's on a edelbrock STR-14 on a 440...looks insane ...those AVS-2 carbs are great pieces and I would like a 800cfm one for my big block...

Your thinking is right in line with your base tune up. You doubled the available throttle bore area so the signal to each throttle bore is actually less. It does make a difference how you set the carbs up, progressive or 1:1 with how you’ll tune it. If you close up the secondary carb and idle on the primary obviously the signal will be the same as one carb. And the opposite is true if you’re idling on both carbs.

Your thinking is right in line with your base tune up. You doubled the available throttle bore area so the signal to each throttle bore is actually less. It does make a difference how you set the carbs up, progressive or 1:1 with how you’ll tune it. If you close up the secondary carb and idle on the primary obviously the signal will be the same as one carb. And the opposite is true if you’re idling on both carbs.
1:1 linkage, both being drawn upon at all times.

Research indicated to me that progressive works well on low rise dual plane, dual quad applications, where tunnel rams like 1:1. I have no experience with it myself yet.

Back in 2018 I knew a fella that had a pair of competition thermoquad 850s on a max wedge....I bought the pair of carbs...now he has a pair of thermoquad comp 1000's on a edelbrock STR-14 on a 440...looks insane ...those AVS-2 carbs are great pieces and I would like a 800cfm one for my big block...
Every time I see one of those 1,000 cfm units pop up for sale, I’m out of piggy bank money. I have one now. When I get the piggy bank back up to spec, I’ll look for one of those or another electric choke MP throttle armed TQ’s for a matched set. Like the Avatar.

IMG_0979.jpeg

1:1 linkage, both being drawn upon at all times.

Research indicated to me that progressive works well on low rise dual plane, dual quad applications, where tunnel rams like 1:1. I have no experience with it myself yet.
I believe you are correct.

Every time I see one of those 1,000 cfm units pop up for sale, I’m out of piggy bank money. I have one now. When I get the piggy bank back up to spec, I’ll look for one of those or another electric choke MP throttle armed TQ’s for a matched set. Like the Avatar.

View attachment 1716135758

I believe you are correct.
Your avatar looks wicked!

That whole package deal, short intake runners, W2 heads, are very conducive to high rpm. A high, lift long duration cam works excellent in this set up. This is where the W2 stuff shines the best. Let’er rip potato chip!

This is one the things The Mad scientist, Yellowrose speaks about.
True, especially when speaking 340-360ci. When you get into stroker engines like the 408, and larger, the demands on heads and intake in many cases, exceeds the LA architecture. The low end torque the W2 heads and Victor W2 intake had were crazy. I may ne naive, but I am expecting a torque boost even in the lower RPM with the new setup.

-
Back