Holley Pro Dominator install. Carb setup

-
True, especially when speaking 340-360ci. When you get into stroker engines like the 408, and larger, the demands on heads and intake in many cases, exceeds the LA architecture. The low end torque the W2 heads and Victor W2 intake had were crazy. I may ne naive, but I am expecting a torque boost even in the lower RPM with the new setup.
You’ll get it. The tunnel ram has much more runner than a Victor. It could be as much as 30-40lb/ft better down low.

True, especially when speaking 340-360ci. When you get into stroker engines like the 408, and larger, the demands on heads and intake in many cases, exceeds the LA architecture. The low end torque the W2 heads and Victor W2 intake had were crazy. I may ne naive, but I am expecting a torque boost even in the lower RPM with the new setup.
Measure the runner length. The Single plains are pretty good for what they are. While not updated in decades, they really don’t need to be. The draw back is the runners are curved due to one carb inlet. It is what it is. I had Charlie Servidio test the W2 Holley Street Dominator, MP - M1 and the MP TR (pictured earlier) to see how the did. The problem we faced with the tunnel ram was a really bad port mismatch at the floor.

Of the single plains, the Street Dominator flow 280+, the MP street intake went to 300 IIRC, on both intakes.

The tunnel ram was better of course and should show that approx gain as said above pretty easily I think since the runners are straight and allows a really good straight shot to the port.

In the future after the heads are ported, Charlie agreed we should re flow the intakes. The Holley has been sold, so it’ll just be the M1 single and the TR.

You’ll have to check Charlie’s video to see the tests and results.

Measure the runner length. The Single plains are pretty good for what they are. While not updated in decades, they really don’t need to be. The draw back is the runners are curved due to one carb inlet. It is what it is. I had Charlie Servidio test the W2 Holley Street Dominator, MP - M1 and the MP TR (pictured earlier) to see how the did. The problem we faced with the tunnel ram was a really bad port mismatch at the floor.

Of the single plains, the Street Dominator flow 280+, the MP street intake went to 300 IIRC, on both intakes.

The tunnel ram was better of course and should show that approx gain as said above pretty easily I think since the runners are straight and allows a really good straight shot to the port.

In the future after the heads are ported, Charlie agreed we should re flow the intakes. The Holley has been sold, so it’ll just be the M1 single and the TR.

You’ll have to check Charlie’s video to see the tests and results.
I should have taken a picture, the port alignment on the Pro Dominator is darn near perfect.

I should have taken a picture, the port alignment on the Pro Dominator is darn near perfect.
I was told it’s a better manifold…..
I have been offered one by a member here. The time is just not right to purchase it. And so you’re saying to yourself why purchase it, simple, dyno test it vs the M1! Then we will know where the strength and weaknesses lay between them.

Yea buddy! That’s what I’m talkin about!

:thumbsup:

1693506509804.gif

Your intake looks great. Could you post the P/N for the carb linkage. I just bought two 650AVS2 for my weiand tunnelram that will be for my 360 magnum engine.
I scratch made it, other than the bracket seen on back carb with return springs. That part is Lokar, I will look up part number. The linkage joining carbs was my doing, threaded the aluminum rods, and added rod end kits.

I believe you have that backwards. Long runners make big torque. Short runners make power up top.
You're right. Thanks for the correction. As much as I get wrong on a daily basis, I'm surprised I get it right gettin outta bed.

You're right. Thanks for the correction. As much as I get wrong on a daily basis, I'm surprised I get it right gettin outta bed.
I had no doubt you knew how it worked. I just figured your brain farted.

Well it's alive from its slumber!

Today the final bits were done, relocated and rewired coil, set linkage, started and timed. Got up to operating temp, fiddled with carbs a bit.

Very pleased to report, so far no leaks, all seems well. Going to let it cool then check fasteners. I will go over everything with a fine tooth comb then drive it. First stop is my friends to help me install an AFR wideband gauge from AEM. Can tell she is a little fat while idling. One immediate change is how responsive the engine is to throttle input, night and day to previous setup. Sure revs quick!

Soon to have road report.

Ps. This was my first solo intake swap in car!

Well, today was test drive day! I didn't have a chance to install O2 sensor yet so it didn't get crazy.

First comment, to anyone who believes tunnel rams are not suited to the street, you had better try one before you comment.

Everything from part throttle tip in, leaving intersections, cruise, and the few full throttle blasts I did are AWESOME! I cleaned up the rich idle by turning in the idle mixture screws to 1 turn out each, figuring there are 4, rather than 2 it stands to reason they can all be further in than a single application.

The car has always performed very well, this improvement exceeded my expectations on all counts, wish I had done it sooner. I expect with further tuning once AFR gauge is installed, things will improve even further!

David Frieberger is right, tunnel rams frickin rule!

Now to get that hood painted.............struggling to decide black, or orange. I'm leaning toward orange.

20230903_154410.jpg

20230903_154418.jpg

20230903_154506.jpg

20230903_154359.jpg

20230903_154429.jpg

20230903_154609.jpg

Congratulations! I love my tunnel ram! One piece of advice, don’t get too carried away with trying to get particular numbers when you get the AFR gauge. Just use them as a guide to any changes you make. Check plugs, feel for surges. Enjoy!

Congratulations! I love my tunnel ram! One piece of advice, don’t get too carried away with trying to get particular numbers when you get the AFR gauge. Just use them as a guide to any changes you make. Check plugs, feel for surges. Enjoy!
Thanks, the input is greatly appreciated! This is new turf for me.

Richard Holdners intake shoot out on a SBC is worth a look….

(Needs more cam!)

Last edited:
-
Back