holley rebuild or toss

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
I got a holly 650 spredbore for 20.00 i figure wirh a rebuild 40.00 i should have a decent carb, looks in good shape no some friend are telling me i should toss it and buy new because it sat on a shelf foe 3 years and its junk

am i wasting my money and time or what, will it foreever give me problems
What do you guys think

If you don't min spending the the $40 and the time to rebuild it, it cant hurt to try it.

Just cause it set on the shelf don't mean it's bad. Does it look like it had water get in it? If so that will corrode them and make them junk. If it looks ok I wouldn't worry about it setting on the shelf. Just rebuild it and set all the settings according to the rebuild sheet and it should be ok.

The only two things that I am aware of that will junk a holley carb is a porous metering block castings (incredibly hard to diagnose without replacing them) and worn throttle shaft bores. If you have a lot of fore and aft play on the throttle shaft, don't bother rebuilding it. If you don't, you just got yourself a nice cheap carb!

Quite simple to work on and tune, once you get familiar. I agree with Ramcharger, have been given several that the shafts actually froze in from sitting, once that happens, you have to have new bushings installed installed in the base plates.

I have a 750 double pumper on my 340. there is a spot where the idle will jump up with very little adjustment and if i try to back it off so very slightly it will jump back down, I noticed the throttle shaft has a bit of play. Do i rebuild or throw out?

ProForm actually makes a billet replacement throttle plate for the Holleys that costs less than 200 bucks. I would certainly consider this option before chucking your Holley in the trash. And if you do decide to pitch it, pm me first.
The ProForm parts are are available from Summit, www.summitracing.com

throttle shafts can be rebushed. many places do it...here in SA i found an out fit that will re-bush for $30 a shaft.

wish i had known about it 2 Holleys ago!! i threw em out. oh well.

sb

-
Back