Holley spreadbore mechanical choke help

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On my 87 Ramcharger, I put a cast intake and a new 650 Holley spreadbore on it. No choke since installing it in the spring. Cooler temps are setting in and am starting to need a choke. I tried using a Carter Thermoquad choke and making one from a 2bbl with no luck.
Is there a specific choke rod for it? I've scoured Ebay, rockauto, advance and vant find anything. Any suggestions? I really don't want to swap this carb out for a square bore with electric choke. Pictures are what I'm working with.
Thanks,Paul
20200920_152600.jpg

20200920_153235.jpg

Just cut the rod to length, bend a 90 on it and install it right where it goes on the carburetor linkage. It attaches in the circled hole.

HOLLEY SPREAD BORE.jpg

Just cut the rod to length, bend a 90 on it and install it right where it goes on the carburetor linkage. It attaches in the circled hole.

That simple!? **** I fiddled around trying to bend and make one work for a good while. For some reason I didn't think that would work because the angle.
Thank you, I'll do just that.
Paul

It'll work. Block the choke all the way open before you cut it though. That way, the rod will effectively be "too long" which is what you want. That way, all you need to do to make your adjustment is take a pair of pliers and twist an "S" bend in the rod until the choke just barely is closed when cold. That should be adjusted "just about" right. Did any of that make sense?

It'll work. Block the choke all the way open before you cut it though. That way, the rod will effectively be "too long" which is what you want. That way, all you need to do to make your adjustment is take a pair of pliers and twist an "S" bend in the rod until the choke just barely is closed when cold. That should be adjusted "just about" right. Did any of that make sense?
Yes, it does I think. It will.more when I actually go to do it. I have a few extra rods it I mess the first one up.
Thanks!

Yes, it does I think. It will.more when I actually go to do it. I have a few extra rods it I mess the first one up.
Thanks!

Sho nuff. There's one thing that might hang you up. Just pay attention to "which way" the spring reacts. In other words, make sure the spring defaults the choke CLOSED and not open. Some are backwards from others. It all depends on which side they are meant to work from.

-
Back