Holley Swap?

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Hey guys, so today I was talking with my boss (work at a custom hot rod and performance shop) and he was saying I could make more power by switching to a holley 570 cfm street avenger (I have a edelbrock 600 cfm 1406 carb). Questions are:

What do you guys think of holleys?
Do they lose their tune more than edelbrocks?
Harder to cold start?

What are the trade-offs is basically what I am looking for

Car is a 73 dart, 318, weiand stealth, msd ignition system timed 13* BTDC, headers, comp XE258 cam

I hear so much about the Holleys being so good. It's a tough choice. I had an Edelbrock 600 and then an 800. They were awesome. Set it and forget it. I never had to adjust either one of them. Because at some point I am going E85 and they run on a Proform body, I switched to a Holley 750DP so all the plumbing would be in place when I went E85. I hate the freaking Holley. I have to play with it all the time. Idle changes, starts great one day, not the next. I rebuilt it and changed jets a bit. It has only needed two adjustments since last fall, but I don't drive between October and May. My experience, though not vast is that my Edelbrocks were more reliable. I can feel no difference in power. The Holley I am running is the one that was on the motor on the dyno. Wish I had dyno'd it with the Edelbrock.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, thanks Greg. Might be one of those things I just gotta try for myself. Still open to others opinions though!

I just got thru putting a 650 V/sec Holley on this gents 318, it now "barks" into 2nd,.

this is his response after taking it home ... I live for the smile..
---------------------
Originally Posted by twisted318
thank you so so much I had a smile from ear to ear the hole way home. when I got to the end of the road to turn on the interurban I punched and got it a little sideway so much fun I love it. just let me know if you ever need a hand with anything or any parts just let me know. I just cant stop smiling.
:cheers::iconbigg:
------------------------------

I just luv it....

hope it helps..

I love Holley's Rick, but that 600 Eddy is just about perfect for what you have. I know you're a busy guy, but if you can make time to play with that carb, I'd do that first.

Just incase you don't have this available, the tuning section may be some helpful reading.....
[ame]http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf[/ame]

Edelbrock/Carters seem to run better straight out of the box brand new.

Holleys are more tuneable, but you have to learn how to tune them.

I used to hate Holleys until I started to understand them. Now I like them. An ex Holley engineer that I used to work with took me aside one day and gave me some tips.

Thanks for the info guys! We are just gonna see how much we can get out of the eddy and go from there.

Hey guys, so today I was talking with my boss (work at a custom hot rod and performance shop) and he was saying I could make more power by switching to a holley 570 cfm street avenger (I have a edelbrock 600 cfm 1406 carb). Questions are:

What do you guys think of holleys? They work VERY well and make more power in the right hands.
Do they lose their tune more than edelbrocks? ...either it is tuned properly or its not.
Harder to cold start? I don't know Eddy's start in the cold, and I have no choke on my Holley...but I can tell you that my car fires up so fast that most of the time you literally can't hear the starter, it is instantaneous at the kit of the key....from 30°F- 99°F (I don't drive my car in the winter months).

What are the trade-offs is basically what I am looking for.........

I answered the questions in RED above. To be honest though, your car probably won't see a huge difference between the two carbs. On higher horsepower cars (that use the higher RPM range) the difference is bigger....and in my experience, those that say that bash Holleys for "never running right" and saying they have to constantly tinker with it...most of the time those folks never had their carb tuned right in the first place (just my opinion). Both carbs will work, use what you are comfortable with.

-
Back