Holley TBI

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I have some Holley Tbi throttle body's and some holley fuel controller boxes, one of the boxes is made by msd the other is made by icci.
Both throttle bodys are the same, both have a number on them that is 34r-11109B.
My father acquired this stuff years ago, i remember he ran it on a 440 in a 73 dodge power wagon truck, then later on he put it on a 300hp crate 360 magnum. From what i can remember when the system was working, it worked very well, but i do remember him having some issues with it. What i couldn't say because this was back when i was younger, but i remember he going back and forth from a carburetor to this holley fuel injection.
Can anyone tell me anything more about this set up? Is it a good system? How much are they worth?

Without some photo's and part numbers, (off the controllers) what you have said doesn't mean much. Holley seems to have made OEM replacement TBI units, and MAY have even made OEM original.

That part no. MAY have originally been with part of the Holley "Pro-jection" systems, but there were changes over the years...........

Early ones used different injectors, early had these "round top injectors" This photo off the net is OEM, this one has an idle air control, the Holley aftermarket Pro-Jection did not.......

2004_0403tbi0001.jpg

This is the later injectors, which has a retainer spider on the injectors

510-502-9_3.jpg

The OEM and Holley aftermarket injectors could/ probably do have different connectors on the injectors. I bought an OEM one for parts, turned out the harness / injectors is different

REALLY the big thing here is the CONTROLLER. The older Holley controllers, (example) which had the 5 or so pots sticking out the side were not very and were never meant to be very streetable, and never were meant to meet any state smog. They were meant more for 4x4, etc.

But that very same TBI and sensors, when coupled to a decent EFI controller, can be as good as any OEM system, if properly programmed.

I have a Holley Commander system, the ECU is fully programmable, and am using the "old hardware" with the newer, updated Holley HP ECU

You can also "go" with Megasquirt.

The two tbi's i have look just like the first photo you posted, with the round top injectors. And i have been doing some research online and from what i have seen what i have is a holley pro-jection. I just googled holley 34r-11109B and that's how i came up with the information i have now.

the two i have also don't have the idle air control, they look like the first photo but without the idle air control on it

There is a serial number on the icci control box, which is 169a10443. on the holley control box which is made by msd, there is a sticker on the bottom of it that says 1113. That's all i can find on the control boxes, but both of them have 5 adjustment knobs. One is for choke, one is for accelerator pump, one is for idle, one is for mid range, and one is for power

Can you post a photo. That does sound like Holley aftermarket Pro--jection. Here's a system I bought right before I bought the Commander system. I paid 75 bucks for it I think, with no fuel pump. Mine is called a "2D" system

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209528

attachment.php

Also, there's a Holley forum,

http://forums.holley.com/

Danny Cabral is the "guy" on there very helpful and incredibly knowledgable

The 670 CFM throttle body should have 2" bores, the 1 11/16" flows 550 or so. Holley was the OEM manufacturer for a lot of systems which is why their own stuff is a mix and match. Such as Mopar style injectors on a Rochester throttle body.

As stated above, the basic Holley computers were pretty basic stuff. For not a whole lot more money, a Rochester system can be (EPROM) adapted. This would support an O2 sensor, knock sensor, and full ignition timing control. The Megasquirt will also do a lot of cool shiz, but there is a Geek factor involved.

yes i will post a picture of it all here in a second. i also have a couple adapter plates like what you have in that picture. the tbi's look just like what you posted but the control boxes are twice the size. I'm just charging my camera's battery and i'll post some pictures

75 was a score if it included the pump, many dont. I walked from a $100 minus pump sale. buddy runs a 4bbl pro-jection on a stroked Cleveland and he loves it, pots and all. Has a slight bog somewhere but says its light years ahead of any carb hes run. MS has huge geek factor...ask me 8-)

I would call that the "early" Projection from Holley. As I suggested earlier, you might post it on the Holley forums. If it works it might be worth playing with. The problem is, the adjustment is limited, the destructions may or may not be available, and the system has limited sensors. Those normally don't come with an O2 sensor.

Whether or not you use it as a system, the throttle bodies may be useful. You can use a different controller with those throttle bodies, or remove the injectors and use the throttle bodies / throttle positioners in conjunction with multiport EFI.

I'm not going to run the system. I just barely got my 550 dollar quick fuel carburetor dialed in, Took me awhile with working full time and all I had to go by was reading plugs and feel.
But I got my engine running the best that it's ever been since I've had it. I'm not fouling plugs, the plugs look good, good grey/tanish color, no miss fires, no hiccups thru out the throttle.
I was just hoping to find out what this stuff is and find out what it's worth and how sought after it is. I'm most likely going to sell it.

I have had the "2 injector" Holley Pro-jection on my 65 Newport (383) since 1996, using both the "analog" box and the smaller "2D digital" box. My impression is that the original "by MSD" box would be more reliable since it uses rugged Weather-pack connectors. Holley brought the design in-house after that and botched it a bit, as they do most electronics projects. Their analog box has a small connector that can be erratic. One wire pulled out of mine and I saw it was barely crimped to the terminal (thick wire). The 2D box uses the same connector and adds the problem that it overheats and starts limiting fuel. Don't let the sun hit it. Some people have had it melt their vinyl seats. You are tempted to keep the box on the seat because seems you must constantly tweak the knobs. I have O2 feedback, but usually run that just as a monitor and tweak manually because I don't trust the box. I have plans to fix Holley's errors, but don't drive that car currently. Its biggest design issue is that it uses only throttle position to "infer" manifold pressure. You really need PMAN and IAT sensors for a decent fuel controller (or a mass-flow sensor).

What's it worth? People still ask $500 on ebay, especially for the 4 injector versions, but I wouldn't pay that. I was a fool to have paid retail for it (~$600) in 1996 dollars, and it never gave the mileage improvement I hoped for. I think their last-gasp 4Di version added the needed sensors and essentially became their Commander 950, which is a much better design (have some to try). Those went for $600 on ebay lately, but now that their is a new $1000 TBI (above), that will change.

-
Back