Holset knowledge needed

-

Broke Farmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new (made 20 years ago) Holset turbo acquired from a diesel shop I've done business with on semi and tractor engines over the years. Basically a gift as its been on a shelf and a pile of dust was on the box. He was just happy to get rid of it.

Holset HX35 no wastegate. The exhaust outlet is an incredibly goofy size. Mocking up an exhaust set up and its not a V clamp nor can i find much in forums about what I need or where to buy it.

Exhaust is ID 2.48 OD is 3.10. Been all over the internet and perhaps I am typing in wrong search terms. I have learned its not a desirable turbo as the exhaust side says 18.5 and slow to spool?

i just want to know if a flange adapter is out there for this thing as welding cast to stainless seems like a folly. It doesn't have the cummins bolt pattern piece on exhaust side just the lip on the exhaust housing. I have a Tial external wastegate to install but i got to get a 3" tube onto the housing to tie to the dump in downstream.

Seem familiar to anyone or am i missing something obvious and being a dumbarse once again

Thanks for any help or insight as I am new to the Turbo world.

Thanks so much. I surprised there isn't some machined flange adapter that would allow for a standard V clamp. somthing that would catch the holset lip and allow for a V clamp. once again a great deal is not always so great. ha

FYI found an adapter on Benzforce.com that apparently clamps and catches a flange to make it a Vband for 80 bucks. Easier than ordering new turbo housings but if doesnt fit right back to square one. That video was very informative though.

Well, the mock up is moving right along. Still have to cope in wastegate on exhaust and build turbo cooler lines and pleanty of other things but its finally looking like a car again.

Many fitment issues that were unanticipated. The early A engine bay is nothing like my 69 and creates its own set of restrictions. A couple inches here and there has meant everything. Hell, a half inch here and there has meant everything. I thought a big block in a 69 was tight. I am now enlightened.

The guys at Gill Welding have been great and are super helpful with their knowledge and I would recommend them to all on here that are thinking about this type of thing but in hindsight I should have gone with a side mount intake and their truck exhaust. That would have been a slam dunk fit. I had to Joe Dirt it and fab up another exhaust off the Dutra's as the Gill kit just wouldn't work in my 64 without hacking into the fenders and if I wanted an intercooler I would have to go Mishimoto water and spend a couple grand more. But what David and Bryce Gill have cooked up on that front throttle body set up was just way to cool for me not to try!!

Putting a front throttle body in an early A has proven more challenging than I ever expected.

If anybody has any questions I can try to answer as my son and I are definitely learning from our mistakes and we are obviously just beginning the electrical phase.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Very nice! Will you need to modify the grille to get it to fit over that intercooler?

No. The grill just barely fits. I did lose two of the bottom mounting screw holes due to trimming but there are plenty left to hold it in place. The intercooler is 2.5" anything larger would not have fit. I just got lucky on my calculations for size. I did however have to reduce intercooler piping from 2.75 to 2.5 as it passes into the intercooler and vice versa coming out. The throttle body is 3.25 and the Holset is 3.0 so it's been a hodge podge of a mess to get to his point.

The radiator cross support had to be hacked pretty hard since it protruded in over an inch. It will need replaced with a piece of flat stock and welded back in place.

I also lost my center hood latch in the fitting process due to size constraints. I will have to weld some gussets on the fenders and use thos pop in and out hood latches that are so damn expensive.

And I have two spal 12 inch fans mounted in a stagger with a homemade shroud and my water pump clears by less than a quarter of an inch.

I have learned these early A's are a whole different animal than the later ones.

Are you getting the turbo blanket to help keep that heat away from your master cylinder and atleast wrap the down pipe a bit? Awesome job by the way.

Thanks -- Yes, going with a turbo blanket and plan to wrap that portion of the pipe as well. Likely fab up a little heat shield onto exhaust as well. Still have to cope in the wastegate pipe and tie that in as well. I got the pipe as far away from the MC as I could and still hit the downstroke spot between the trans and the torsion bar.

Well, I'm back in the building game. The pics earlier in the thread are still representative of the dummy power plant except for making the throttle body adapter to make to the Gill welding intake fit. Still waiting on machine shop to get me the actual engine back so I can assemble it and wire in the F/I and megasquirt. Way behind schedule as Cancer and 3 surgeries have set me on my *** for a bit but i have hobbled around in my boot and dressings and managed to get the essentials done. Complete new harness and fuse block with dual spal electric fans and 4 wheel disc brake.

Modern Jeep LED headlights with built in turn signals and autometer gauges all wired in. Just need assembly to show a reading instead of error codes.

904 Pushbutton transmisson built with new cables and input and output shaft modified for the modern valve body with park conversion installed in springbox (shout out to Rick Alison at A&A transmission for letting me copy his prototype) so I can run the new slip yoke driveshaft to mate with the narrowed 8 3/4 installed without a ball and trunion shaft.

Had to eliminate the original hood latch due to intercooler fitment issues but found some cool chrome pop ups that look awesome and were easy to install with a couple gussets welded into the fenders.

Its a money pit of labor and love building this with my son but at least its not an LS swap we could have done in a weekend.........

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Coming along great, sorry to hear about the cancer and needing surgeries, but sounds like your doing better, slowly but surely.

-
Back