Holy Crap!! The price of Paint.....

-
not trying to steal the thread but I got a pm about it and could not post pics on the PM. This is what the right paint, a little creativity, and a touch of detail can do to an old car. Amazing to me has been the people crawling around in this car at shows wanting to know about the interior and who did it etc. Yeah, this is no place to 'skimp', thanks for the interest!
Chas.

005.JPG

interior before 004.JPG

interior before 003.JPG

new car pics 030.JPG

new car pics 046.JPG

not trying to steal the thread but I got a pm about it and could not post pics on the PM. This is what the right paint, a little creativity, and a touch of detail can do to an old car. Amazing to me has been the people crawling around in this car at shows wanting to know about the interior and who did it etc. Yeah, this is no place to 'skimp', thanks for the interest!
Chas.

You need to paint that rusty strip on the front pillar between the molding and the rubber.

Sorry i see everything.

Nice car though.

You guys need to check out Kirker paints at Auto Body Toolmart. $82/Gal with activator.
They have solids, clears, metalics/pearls and candys, the highest price I see is about $100/gal for the real special metalics.
They will send you a free color chart and catolouge
Andrew

I just wanted to mention that I shop at Auto Body Toolmart all the time. They do have good deals on Kirker paints and they ship it out pretty fast. Never have had any complaints. www.autobodytoolmart.com/kirker-paint-products-c-887.aspx

This was the last thing I painted, about 3 years ago, it was less than a year old, ( most people thought I was crazy, until they saw it!).

2small.jpg

I bought a 1972 Dart Swinger as a way of getting closer with my youngest son. He has a mechanical mind and was excited. It cost us $500 bucks and a Mopar friend of mine said it was a steal. Having no practical experience with automobiles outside of changing my own oil or belts, it was a risky proposition. I've been a white-collar techy for almost 25 years (or as my plumber neighbor would say, a 'desk jockey'). My youngest son is a senior in high school and this is HIS graduation present. (His older brother wanted a laptop!).

I love cars as much as the next guy, especially the American muscle. The older brother of a childhood friend had a 69 Roadrunner. I still remember the rush taking a moonlight drive out to Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix (listening to 'Runnin' with the Devil'), and the rumble from the 383 as we rolled along.

So here we are, over 6 months later. Fits and starts is the best way to describe it. My son has put a huge effort into the prep. He wants to see results in the worst way, and make sure that we actually get the wholething done. The spray can blue is gone after many hours of hard work and we are ready to shoot the epoxy primer ($60 w activator from Summit Racing). Next we have a high build 2K urethane primer for the middle coats ($60 w activator). We chose a gloss Flame Red urethane ($110 a gallon w activator w a 20% coupon)for the finish. We plan to add clearcoat ($200 a gallon).

We're not purists. We realize the car would be a major investment as a resto, so our goal is having a daily driver. I want my son to have an experience about how cool it would be to have his own muscle car. We DO care that it should look nice, and we think when we finish that the majority of people will think so. I really think this post is generating a lot of great comment on the subject. Let's hear how some of you got to where you're at in your Mopar journey.

Guys & Girls,

I've been watching this thread with a great concern. Aside from a brief side track to overdone interior pics it's been an interesting discussion to say the least. And, I agree with you. Paint is getting too darn expensive!!!!

Just to give you a thought starter here. Where do you think the scrap material goes when it's deemed " of questionable usage" by the major paint companies? (PPG , Dupont, and BASF)

In the '80s and early '90s they shipped all the salvage resins, slurries, intermediates, old out-dated pigments, solvents, reology control agents, UV and light stabilizer packages to China (at a much reduced price). I also recall some lead based pigments and resins headed over to China to be applied on products and shipped back to North America as finished goods. They still ship some old material over there but not so much anymore and I'll tell you why.....

The big 3 paint companies had a better idea and created a "B" and/or "C" markets here in North America and you guys are using the result of that effort!!! Think about it. Most paint warranties have more holes in them than swiss cheese but you can't put any warranty on "questionable quality" material.

I just thought I'd throw this in and see where it goes.

sscuda

-
Back