"Home-Brewed"

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of my convertible "Home-Brewed" that was the centerfold feature of the October 2006 MOPAR Action magazine.

This photo is from the 2007 MOPAR Nats. The person talking to me is my good friend Fernando Vidal from Brazil.

Home Brewed 1-1.jpg

Here a few shots of the engine bay taken at Monster MOPAR in St.Louis I think in 2006. Since then All of the under hood wiring has been cleaned up and hidden.
Home Brewed 1-2.jpg
Home Brewed 1-3.jpg
Home Brewed 1-4.jpg

Herb

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this car a few times. It gets DRIVEN. First time I saw it was running down Rt. 55 towards St. Louis towards MMW in the RAIN.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not responded sooner.

I have been pretty sick the last few days with the flu, Still am.

I will get you more info on the EFI when I am feeling a little better.

Let me know what info you want.

Herb

I was wondering what intake, throttle body, fuel rails and computer you are using?
Did the intake come with injector bungs?
Was it a complete kit or was it pieced together?

Thanks,

I was wondering what intake, throttle body, fuel rails and computer you are using?
Did the intake come with injector bungs?
Was it a complete kit or was it pieced together?
Thanks,
The EFI setup is what led to the name "Home-Brewed" as my cars name.
Due to my last name of Beer, the six pack hood and the fact that I had home-built the entire EFI system, the writer for the MOPAR Action article, Jim Koscs coined the name.
The Intake is an old Edelbrock Torker 440 that a buddy gave me.

Home Brewed 14-1.jpg

I spent the better part of the winter of 2004/2005 in the shop drilling, welding, taking apart and putting together until I got everything to fit the way I liked.
I used a hole saw to drill the intake, then made two alignment fixtures to hold the weld in injector bungs in place.
Once I had the spacing and angles of the bungs, injector, and fuel rails where I wanted, I welded and built the bungs up to appear as if they were cast into the manifold.

Home Brewed 14-2.jpg

The fuel rails are 5/8" ID Aeromotive universal rails that I step drilled for the injectors.
The fuel rail hold downs were hand made by myself with a die grinder and rat-tailed file.
The injectors are F.A.S.T. 65lb/hr.
The Throttle body is a 1000cfm MSD unit.

Home Brewed 14-3.jpg

All of the fuel supply system components are Aeromotive.
Starting at the fuel tank:

Home Brewed 14-4.jpg

Home-Brewed sump feeding AN-10 line

Aeromotive 10 micron filter

Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump
Aeromotive check valve
AN-8 line to the engine bay (this line is installed inside of the frame rails (both front and rear rails) the line is pulled thru the center of the rails)

Aeromotive 100 micron filter

Home Brewed 14-5.jpg

AN-8 to fuel block at the rear of the fuel rails
Aeromotive EFI bypass regulator
AN-6 Return line to tank (this line is installed inside of the frame rails (both front and rear rails) the line is pulled thru the center of the rails)
The original fuel sending unit was modified by me to a 3/8" tube, this tube enter the tank and turns 90* towards the top of the tank to allow the warm return fuel to remix with the cooler fuel in the tank. (Lesson hard learned #1)
The original Vent tube at the filler tube was modded by cutting the small orifice from the tube..(Lesson hard learned #2)
(Lesson hard learned #1) = Warm return fuel to bottom of tank not good, it returns right back to engine bay to be warmed again, vicious cycle.....
(Lesson hard learned #2) = Warm fuel expands, pushes passed fuel sending unit gasket onto JEG's parking lot an MOPAR Nats, NOT GOOD...

Just got company, I will finish Later

Herb

Sometimes everyday life gets in the way of posting, sorry ..

I have pretty much covered the fuel system, so I will finish with the electronics.

One of the first things I learned about the Aeromotive fuel system was that under normal driving conditions it move so much fuel so fast that it was causing the fuel to heat up more and more as you drove.
To remedy this, I installed a Aeromotive Fuel Pump Speed Controller (FPSC).
This unit wires between the ECU fuel pump control lead and the fuel pump and a Tach wire to sense RPM. It is adjustable to control when the pump goes to full speed under full throttle and keeps the pump running a a much lower speed during normal driving.

Home Brewed 14-6.jpg

When I first put the system together, the engine was 452 cu.in..

I ordered and assembled a complete Mega-Squirt system.

I also built the entire EFI wiring harness myself from scratch. I used mostly Duetsch connectors.

At that time I was running 42 lb/hr injectors and a bank to bank configuration.

When the engine "grew" to 512 cu.in., I had to increase the injectors to 65 lb/hr and the Mega-Squirt system would not work without a lot of changes because of the impedance difference of the injectors.

I also wanted to go to a sequential system and at that time the Mega-Squirt system would not do that.

To do the sequential injection, be able to use the injectors, and gain better tuning control, I upgraded the ECU to a F.A.S.T. XFI 1.34 system.
I also installed a F.A.S.T. dual sync MOPAR distributor.

All of the ECU changes took place just before, during and shortly after our move from Illinois to our retirement home here in West Central Arkansas.

Due to the move and ongoing priority changes and the fact that I am not good at tuning the system remains pretty much untuned.

I have it where it will start and run, but not where I am comfortable driving it.

I really need to find someone that can help me get it tuned.

I have also now Upgraded the F.A.S.T. XFI to the 2.0 software.

I can tell you that at the coldest temps the engine starts and idles like a mild mannered old ladies car, even with the almost 700 lift solid roller cam.

Someday I'll get it tuned.

Thats about it for now.

I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Herb

Home Brewed 14-7.jpg

[quote="Dart67";1715759]Hey Larry,

Whats happenin'

I plan on traveling to Indy on 3/1/12 . I will be at the swap meet Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the same spot as usual.

See you there.

Herb[/quote]
see you there you ole coot

Hey Jay,

How you doing. I see your a noob here to.

Looking forward to see you at Indy.

Are you and Sharlene going to be there all weekend?

Herb

We're planning on getting there by noon on Friday.See you there!

nice lokin rig! appears to be well thot out. I would like to see a close up of the new dist., I`ve got a complete fast 2.0 set up in my 68 fastback. like yours, a street car w/ an occasional trip to dragstrip. (IF I EVER GET IT FINISHED) .0600 lift street roller , w/ ported -raised port heads. had to grind the h--- out of the front of the head to get clearance on the fast dist., which is taken off a chevy set up looks to me like. another guy on here had to even grind on a stock cast I. head for clearance. like your car !

nice lokin rig! appears to be well thot out. I would like to see a close up of the new dist., I`ve got a complete fast 2.0 set up in my 68 fastback. like yours, a street car w/ an occasional trip to dragstrip. (IF I EVER GET IT FINISHED) .0600 lift street roller , w/ ported -raised port heads. had to grind the h--- out of the front of the head to get clearance on the fast dist., which is taken off a chevy set up looks to me like. another guy on here had to even grind on a stock cast I. head for clearance. like your car !

Thank you for the kind words.

I will try to get a photo of the distributor some time today.

The Starter shot craps Saturday so I will be in the shop trying to get it replaced. Not much fun with a 440 block in an A body with 2" TTI's.

I have one of the very first Big Block MOPAR F.A.S.T. duel sycn distributors that they sold.

As a matter of fact I had to also grind the crap out of the front of the Edelbrock aluminum head.
I had a lengthy discussion with the tech dept about the very poor research and design of a new product that required cutting and grinding on expensive parts to make it fit.
Their response was "well that is just part of hot rodding". Rant over.

Herb

famous bob,

Sorry it took so long to get the photos for you.

I hope these are what you wanted. If not let me know what you need.

These show the clearance between the head and distributor after grinding.

Herb

Home Brewed 23-1.jpg

Home Brewed 23-2.jpg

Home Brewed 23-3.jpg

Home Brewed 23-4.jpg

[quote="Dart67";1971157312]famous bob,
These show the clearance between the head and distributor after grinding.

Herb
[/quote]

WOW. That is tight.. Nice work Herb..

-------------------------- Wow !! ------------------------

-
Back