Home generator oil type

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Hey guys . . . . I bought my Generac / Wheelhouse 5500 Watt portable generator used and it's time to change oil. Operator's manual does not specify what type of oil. I went on line without much help. I would think that generator engines are under much more abuse than other applications. Anyone know what to use or recommendations? My generator has operated flawlessly and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks, Rog

do you have an engine manual that came with it?

• Follow the oil grade recommendations and oil fill
instructions given in the engine owner’s manual

this is all i saw.. kinda crazy it isn't in the normal manual..

maybe look up the make and model of the engine and see what it says..

I put a straight 30 weight, non-detergent oil in mine when I changed it.....

Air cooled engine oil by Brigs & Straten is what I use in mine

Mine has a spin on oil filter and so I don't use a non detergent oil but I do use the same stuff I use in all my vehicles and that's Rotella. It's also a Generac but a 7000. Had it for years and it saved everything in my freezer and fridge when Ike came through.

Mine has a spin on oil filter and so I don't use a non detergent oil but I do use the same stuff I use in all my vehicles and that's Rotella. It's also a Generac but a 7000. Had it for years and it saved everything in my freezer and fridge when Ike came through.

Another good choice, I run Rotella in my 66 solid cam /6.

do you have an engine manual that came with it?

this is all i saw.. kinda crazy it isn't in the normal manual..

maybe look up the make and model of the engine and see what it says..

I downloaded the operators manual and it doesn't say anything. I have no engine manual Good idea researching the engine. Thanks

I run straight SAE30 in all small engines. I only use non-detergent in pre-70 tractors and small engines.
Thanks . . . kinda leaning that way . . . you are in Michigan too and I'm a geezer and concerned about hard starting . . . ;-). My generator usually starts on two pulls in the winter. Rog

I have some extra Amsoil synthetic 15w-40 diesel oil and have been using that in my smaller generators with no issues. I figure synthetics will hold up better in generators as well, especially being air cooled.

I put it in my oiled air compressor too!

-
Back