Home Made Hot Rod Garage Cabinets

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I hope y'all dig this. Cost me maybe $30 in supplies. The landlord was going to toss these early 50's vintage steel kitchen cabinets when I had a vision.....

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

I've wanted to do the same thing, except with an old fridge if I can ever get my hand s on one and have the room.

I've wanted to do the same thing, except with an old fridge if I can ever get my hand s on one and have the room.

A working retro 50's fridge would awesome and I was thinking the same. Two problems confront me..... I'd like to spray it with candyapple red with a real paint sprayer and I wonder what those old beasts cost to run,lol.

I just used rattle can rustoleum for this project.

Thank you everyone. It's amazing the crap that comes in my head while having a beer, relaxing and letting my mind run free. I just wish I could make some money at it, that would be my dream job. I'm making a welding bench out of I-Beams right now. Coming soon to a thread near you. :) Trust me, it won't be what you think......

very creative Ramcharger, well done. I really love cool litle home made projects, thats the best there is! That cabinet will really spice up the shop.

I am flaming with envy ramchager:colors: The cabinet look's great
Those vintage steel kitchen cabinets are getting hard to find.
Your shop sure is looking good.
Counter tops look's like a good place to rest a cold rum and coke.:-D
Glad to see you are enjoying your vision's

Very nice indeed =P~

I did 2 back in the 70's when I was still living at home with my parents. Ended up giving them to my brother when I moved out. I just painted them & put on decals, it was quicker & no masking. They hold a lot of parts. I now have some old Niehoff Ignition parts cabs, I got when I was working in a parts store. Don't hold near as much. Wish those kitchen cabs back.

Pretty !
I had a similar idea about 20 years ago. Like minds I guess.
Cabinets were utility boxes hanging on a chevy truck bed

Utility cabinet.jpg

That looks really good Ramcharger. I've been thinking of doing something like that to my old 50's shop fridge but I'm scared that if I do, the damn thing will die on me.

The fridge in question, and yes I am a GM guy who owns a Cuda now. ;)
beerfridge.jpg

youre a regular andy warhol, lookin good

Thank you Daredevil. The man was kinda creepy but he was talented lol.

very creative Ramcharger, well done. I really love cool litle home made projects, thats the best there is! That cabinet will really spice up the shop.

Thanks Vic. I'll get a pic up soon of the shop. I've made tremendous strides since Monday. I've been on vacation and my goal was to get the garage ready for some serious work and get started on the Duster and finish the rough bodywork on the Ramcharger.

I am flaming with envy ramchager:colors: The cabinet look's great
Those vintage steel kitchen cabinets are getting hard to find.
Your shop sure is looking good.
Counter tops look's like a good place to rest a cold rum and coke.:-D
Glad to see you are enjoying your vision's

Very nice indeed =P~

Thanks Bro! I've got one more matching cabinet. It's a long single door type. No, these don't grow on trees anymore, that's for sure. These cabinets are older than me and considering they had to be pried off the wall they turned out OK. I had to do some hammer and dolly work to make them somewhat presentible and paint and body is not my forte', lol!

I was think of putting an extra "Ramcharger" pot metal badge that I have on the top right of the door, what do think? I figure it might balance it out a bit.

I did 2 back in the 70's when I was still living at home with my parents. Ended up giving them to my brother when I moved out. I just painted them & put on decals, it was quicker & no masking. They hold a lot of parts. I now have some old Niehoff Ignition parts cabs, I got when I was working in a parts store. Don't hold near as much. Wish those kitchen cabs back.

I got a buttload of decals but just wanted something a bit different. I want to gauge a "non-hotrodders" impression when I have guests. Shock value maybe. :)

You 'ought get those back from your bro. These things just have shelves spot welded in the perfect place and are tough as nails. I wish I could meet someone who worked in this cabinet factory and show them some pics so they would know that their work lives on...:-D Although I couldn't find a stamp under the 4 layers of paint, I just know that they were built here in the good old USA. 8)

!!!!!!!!!!! Nice stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Thanks Tom! :)

Pretty !
I had a similar idea about 20 years ago. Like minds I guess.
Cabinets were utility boxes hanging on a chevy truck bed

Very nice! I finally have a garage big enough to be creative. Like minds my friend. :)

That looks really good Ramcharger. I've been thinking of doing something like that to my old 50's shop fridge but I'm scared that if I do, the damn thing will die on me.

The fridge in question, and yes I am a GM guy who owns a Cuda now. ;)
beerfridge.jpg

I remember having a big old Frigidaire in the house when I was I kid! Man I wish I had that sucker. It had a chrome lever 2 feet long to open it. We also had a "Marlboro" oven that was chrome and white. Damn thing almost killed one of my sisters when she went to light the pilot. I'm the last of 10 and they didn't replace the aplliances until I split at 17. That fridge was still working though....... Defrosting it took an ice pick and an hour though twice, maybe three times a year. :)

RC. I love my fridge and it keeps my beer colder than the other two fridges we have. I picked it up off a guy I did some tile work for 9 years ago for a 24 pack of my home brew beer that cost me about 8 bucks to make. Best deal I ever made LOL.

I love what you've done with that cabinet. Great way to practice your painting skills..........8)

Have an old cabinet similar to that one in the garage, but the doors slide in a track. Think it is an old kitchen model too...LOL

wish I had pic's,There "was" a bar here years back called the "pitts" race car themed bar,had barstools made by an exhaust shop, but the fridge was the shizit,they added handles from a snap-on tool box and painted and detailed it up tp look like a snap-on tool box,It was awesome!

Hummmmmmm, got my wheels turning again, I'll have to snap shot up a picture of my "Ol'Ralph Crammden" fridge. It's ready for something like this. I need to get a seal though. Scew operating costs. Cool factor out weighs it like my big block magnum does to a 4 banger econo box.

RC. I love my fridge and it keeps my beer colder than the other two fridges we have. I picked it up off a guy I did some tile work for 9 years ago for a 24 pack of my home brew beer that cost me about 8 bucks to make. Best deal I ever made LOL.

Cool! Pardon the pun :) The landlord gave me (to use while I'm here) a late seventies small fridge that fits under my workbench. So far so good... Beer is still cold, lol.

I love what you've done with that cabinet. Great way to practice your painting skills..........8)

Have an old cabinet similar to that one in the garage, but the doors slide in a track. Think it is an old kitchen model too...LOL

Believe me, I need the practice! By angleing the spray pattern while the colors were wet I was able to achieve the desired effect, even out of a rattle can. I was thinking of a different flame pattern but it would just take too much time masking for just a garage cabinet.

wish I had pic's,There "was" a bar here years back called the "pitts" race car themed bar,had barstools made by an exhaust shop, but the fridge was the shizit,they added handles from a snap-on tool box and painted and detailed it up tp look like a snap-on tool box,It was awesome!

Very cool! What happened to the bar? I'd thought of similair scheme but would need a buttload of dough to make it happen.

Hummmmmmm, got my wheels turning again, I'll have to snap shot up a picture of my "Ol'Ralph Crammden" fridge. It's ready for something like this. I need to get a seal though. Scew operating costs. Cool factor out weighs it like my big block magnum does to a 4 banger econo box.

Post it Rob! Let's check out Ralph's old fridge. :) I'll bet some of the more talented members could come up with a pretty design for ya! If it gets your beer cold quicker than some "4 cyl" fridge then do it up buddy!

very cool

Thanks Swinger340!

Post it Rob! Let's check out Ralph's old fridge. :) I'll bet some of the more talented members could come up with a pretty design for ya!

Bang Zoom to the Moon....:cheers:

Well, his pictures are stoking me and renewing an intrest to do so.

First up I need a seal, paint and then a nice day to get to work on it.

I have a portable sandblaster from Sears that'll work on stripping it. Now what exactly I'll do to it is a mystery.

Did someone say vintage retro fridge??? I have wanted to paint this one from the first day I saved it from my partents garage. It curently has a brushed on coat of maybe eggshell white with runs and all.

DSC00538.jpg

-
Back