Home made spring shackles

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the site. I have a 66 Barracuda that sags in the rear, probably due to aged leaf springs. If I were to fab up a set of spring shackles out of 1/4 inch bar stock to gain 1-1/2 inches of rear lift, would that work o.k. or would they have to be hardened or made from thicker stock? I know, I know, it's the cheapskate's attempt to avoid spending the money on new springs!!!:toothy10:

just have the leaf springs re-arched....you will not like the unsafe ride your approach..

You wouldn't be the first to fab there own shackles. Getting the original hardware out wil be a challenge. Shackles look like crap too in my opinion.
JC Whitney offers a set of half leafs that lay on top of the rear part of the original spings. If you draw them all the way down and cut off the excess U bolt they are hardley noticable. They may set you a little above the stock heigth . I put a set under the 1st 67 notch we had. I'd bet they are still there today.

Y not take them apart and re-arch them yourself. its not that hard with two people and a 55gal. drum.you could even ad a leaf

What all is involved in the re-arching process? Heat with torch? If you can give me some specifics, I'll give that a go. Thanks

I've never had luck, re-arching springs. But I've had great luck adding an axtra leaf or two!! Hit the local wrecking yard, and buy an old set. Or, even one side. Blow them apart, cut two about the same length on a cut-off saw, smooth in the corners, and you are set. Here is a picture of what I normally do when modifying A-100 springs for straight axle set-ups. I add two leafs, or one, depending on the engine of choice, take the spring pack apart, then cut 'em down, and insert them. It works great!! Never have to worry about a spring loosing its arch after a re-arch:

007-vi.jpg

Wnen I got the 4-door it had a pair of extended spring shackles. The car sagged in the rear because the shackles tilted towards the rear of the car. Not only did the rear sag, but the spring arc was more like a stretched S. The A-body rear springs are asymmetrical. I found that replacing the shackles with the correct length and installed high pressure gas shocks, restored the ride height and made the car ride much better, too.

-
Back