Home painted ,car guys.....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Was never a paint genius,I know how to fairly work spray guns. Was always (still a big fan..) of decent bodywork,and straight single stage paint jobs. (Yes ,I have done BC/CC ,had decent results) I just can't justify ,1k plus in paint,on a low buck ride.(My favorite single stage paint, was quoted @ 275 a gallon.) Your thoughts,on home brewed bodywork, paint ,&; patience

I think the home paint master here has to be Calvin (clhyer). What a wonderful job he did on his Duster with oil based Rustoleum right out of the can from Lowes for 27 dollars a gallon. That car is slap beautiful in anybody's book and all the haters said it couldn't be done. He's won lots of shows with it, too. I think that's hilarious. Always nice to have the last laugh.

I think the home paint master here has to be Calvin (clhyer). What a wonderful job he did on his Duster with oil based Rustoleum right out of the can from Lowes for 27 dollars a gallon. That car is slap beautiful in anybody's book and all the haters said it couldn't be done. He's won lots of shows with it, too. I think that's hilarious. Always nice to have the last laugh.

Agreed,lol I mixed Martin Senour Industrial enamel,than was applied in a barn. The damn thing,won best paint of show. It's how you apply it,that's what I am looking for.

Send him a PM and he will chime in. I am going down there tomorrow to help him with his son's 67 326 4 gear Firebird. You would really like that car.

Send him a PM and he will chime in. I am going down there tomorrow to help him with his son's 67 326 4 gear Firebird. You would really like that car.

Yes ,I would Rob. Love Fire birds,that sounds like a sweet one. Glad, you found work.(Love Pontiacs. So much grunt,seen too many idiots ,try to RPM these.

I was gonna post to see if anyone has used that rustoleum.

I used it to spot patch a few places and it turned out real good.

Kinda scared because of the "oil based" part.

The spray can primer doesn't say oil but the quart can that sits right next to it on the shelf does.

I would not worry about the phrase "oil-based". All enamels are really oil-based. Here is a definition from the U.S. EPA:
"Oil-Based Paints:
What is it?
This type of paint is most often used to paint the outside of the house because it dries very hard and withstands harsh weather conditions for a long time. Sometimes people may use oil-based paint indoors in areas that have a lot of moisture such as in kitchens and bathrooms.

What's in it?
The solids in the oil-based paint are kept suspended by a number of chemicals that are organic solvents. The solvents commonly used in oil-based paints include mineral spirits (naphtha), toluene, xylene, and other petroleum distillate solvents. Oil-based paints are sometimes called Alkyd paints. "Alkyd" refers to the resin type that is used in the paint. "

I've done some body work and 5 or more paint at home jobs, I've used base clear and single stage paints, heck I even painted a dodge Omni in my yard with flat black house paint using a wagner power painter. the single stage obviously is much easier. the key that I have found is get your body work right, the new paint will show bad body work instantly, especially dark colors. do your body work, be patient with it, if you get frustrated walk away and come back the next day that way once the paint is on it you wont regret not doing a better job on the body work. be sure and keep you air pressure right or you'll be sanding and repainting....ask me how I know this. have fun with it, its part of the hobby for do it yourselfers, always feels good to know you did something yourself, at least it does for me.

Oil based is the good part. It's permanent as all hell. lol

way back in the 70's, I would buy gooseneck horses trailers and have them sandblasted and I would prime, with laquer primer and paint with auto alklyd enamel. I then went to acrylic enamel with gloss hardner. night and day different in the look.

the only thing I would wonder about with oil based "hardware" or tractor enamel is the durability as to UV problems? I really don't know.

I had a hood with lots of surface rust . I D A'ed it, ran the right angle grinder with big wire cup to clean the pits, treated it with Ospho, AFTER it dried good, I applied oil based enamel. 6 months later, I wanted to see what I had. I tried to D A the stuff off. I gave up!!!! LOL I sprayed epoxy primer over it, smoothed a few dings, and sprayed high build primer over that. 6 months later again, all is good and sitting out in the weather.

I am all for painting a car at home. Their is a lot of drama with paint guys. They don't want to paint a car they don't prep, so if you prep it they ***** about your work. I'm like" c'mon fella, just shoot the paint on the damned car" That is how they get your car for a year or two "fixing the prep work" Then they charge you over that year or two. The only way to keep them working on it is to bring them cash every week. A friend of mine waited almost two years for his 68 Camaro convertible paint work. He was constantly giving the paint guy cash too. I can look at the car and point out panels not lined up, my friend who owns the car told me to quit pointing things out because he was getting upset, and his eye for cars isn't what mine is. No way, who can afford to be dicked around like that? Another alternative may be MAACO, but I still think they would get their panties in a ruffle over the prep work. Yeah body and paint guys, who has time for their s@#t.

im always gonna appreciate a car done at home that has some flaws more than a car that got sent off to a shop for 15k and looks perfect... i always thought the funnest part of the hobby was actually WORKING on the car, showing your skills instead of sending out everything that gets challenging.

i painted my car at home, in black, and yeah theres some flaws like small dings i may of missed maybe some orange peel but overall the car is straight and thats all that matters to me and the fact that i did it all myself... im sure its a better feeling than id have if i just sent it off to get worked on

10609642_713487552072535_5845831735904127836_n.jpg

Martin senour paint-outside no cover,painted myself.The truck in my avitar. Paint guy was booked so I let her rip. Sometimes it works out good

Painted in the building behind, put up a curtain wall. Kirker ultra glow urethane with ultra lock base coat converter, Nason 495 clear I shot a couple other parts with the Kirker Ec100 clear and didn't like the way it layed down. About $220 in materials doing it.

Crappy pics, overcast day, but you can see the definition of the trees. layed down pretty nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20150324_080928.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_20150324_080848.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG_20150324_080814.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,168
I've got about $450 total in bodywork and paint. Interlux Brightside single stage urethane boat paint, prepped and painted in my condo parking lot.
Once cured the paint is durable as hell which is a good thing since I drive it alot.

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,170
I've got about $450 total in bodywork and paint. Interlux Brightside single stage urethane boat paint, prepped and painted in my condo parking lot.
Once cured the paint is durable as hell which is a good thing since I drive it alot.

In your condo parking lot? Cool! around here where I live someone would *****, probably call the cops too. I worked at a Ford dealer back in 2006. I told the body shop manager I was going to paint a car in my garage, he said "you cant, its illegal" I said " watch me" LOL!

I'm the manager, most people never knew I did it, those that did thought it was cool. Trade winds help

Painted my Dart at home, in my 16x20 garage.

Base/Clear, came out real nice after a wet sand and buff.

Had around $1000 in it, paint, primer, clear, sandpaper, etc.

Attachments

• S5005132.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC_0455.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSC_0380.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,104
this yellow and black nasty *** oil based enamel tractor bullshit was put on by some flipper . I warn you now , if you put this **** on your car and decide to take it off , you might as well dip the entire car in a giant vat of aircraft paint stripper , or invest in 25 packs 80 grit DA paper and be prepared to use a disc every 3 minutes. you will kill your compressor trying to sand it off. I cant count the hours ive spent trying to get this stuff off .

tip , spend the 100 bucks at TCP global and buy a single stage gallon kit. the stuff works great and it will lay down nice. I used it on my blue 77 charger, I have less than 300 bucks total. the picture doesn't do it justice, it really turned out nice , and I am a novice

Attachments

• rem6.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • d320.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,092
Was never a paint genius,I know how to fairly work spray guns. Was always (still a big fan..) of decent bodywork,and straight single stage paint jobs. (Yes ,I have done BC/CC ,had decent results) I just can't justify ,1k plus in paint,on a low buck ride.(My favorite single stage paint, was quoted @ 275 a gallon.) Your thoughts,on home brewed bodywork, paint ,&; patience

check out my build thread for my body panel replacement/prep and 90$ gallon of single stage

I am pretty stoked to hear from the guy that painted his Duster in Rustoleum. I followed that now famous Mooarts thread years ago. It inspired me, I started mine last year. Right now it all in white Rustoleum primer. Due to time constraints, this year it will be finished in Rustoleum Satin white. Then hit with gloss white next year, unless I fall in love with the satin. :D

this yellow and black nasty *** oil based enamel tractor bullshit was put on by some flipper . I warn you now , if you put this **** on your car and decide to take it off , you might as well dip the entire car in a giant vat of aircraft paint stripper , or invest in 25 packs 80 grit DA paper and be prepared to use a disc every 3 minutes. you will kill your compressor trying to sand it off. I cant count the hours ive spent trying to get this stuff off .

tip , spend the 100 bucks at TCP global and buy a single stage gallon kit. the stuff works great and it will lay down nice. I used it on my blue 77 charger, I have less than 300 bucks total. the picture doesn't do it justice, it really turned out nice , and I am a novice

X2 I have said the same before. The stuff doesn' t sand because it never cures, If the end goal is to put nice paint on , why put something on that has to come back off and all the labor involved. A paint job is only as good as what's underneath it, and if your successful getting paint over it without issue its not going to hold up well.

my car has some minor spots i missed with bodywork and has some orange peel and whatnot but i drive it everyday and not scared to load the truck with firewood for camp or fishing poles in the truck and down an old dirt road to our favorite fishing hole. its not a 20k show car and was built to drive just like my dad did with it years ago

View attachment c20.jpg

View attachment c30.jpg

View attachment p12.jpg

View attachment p7.jpg

View attachment p8.jpg

View attachment p18.jpg

View attachment p13.jpg

View attachment a10.jpg

View attachment a5.jpg

View attachment a1.jpg

I painted the engine compartment in my garage using Summits Base/clear.
The paint lays down nice.
It will by my sons first car, so I did not want to use an expensive paint.

opBPFj.jpg

-
Back