Home painted ,car guys.....

-
These were home painted. It is all in the prep. These cars were painted in a single bay garage or open car port

Camaro was around 500 in paint primer base/clear. Napa crossfire base/eastwood euro clear

68 formula s done with 100 single stage ebay urethane.Never wet sanded or buffed

72 cuda, single stage 200 dollar dupont gallon, painted 20 years ago

Again all in the prep work, get the body as straight as you can. Try to fix the rust right and not just bondo. Within a few years it all comes back out and another layer of paint to deal with now

Just sprayed this today with a total of around $500 in materials.

damn you motivator!!! i also have a yellow 67 notch that needs paint... which is why i was reading this thread

now all i need is ALOT of time. :banghead:

and some talent and/or patience ;-)

Nice looking home-painted cars! It's definitely encouraging.

What about metallic? Is it a lot more difficult to do at home as an amateur?

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures if any of the cars above are done in metallic, so forgive me for asking.

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures if any of the cars above are done in metallic, so forgive me for asking.

Using base coat/clear coat ,is a lot easier than a single stage acrylic enamel ( if single stage is even available, where you live....) in a metallic paint. Buy a cheap gun,find some cheap paint & practice ( find a panel to spray on,experience is the only way...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pLB5QMa59FeMHSswA&sig2=vcoML5kQQ3cToOwKcAGzCA
Also check out YouTube videos...

I did mine in base clear in the garage! I mixed house of colors red gold translucent flakes in the first coat of clear! It's hard to see in the pictures. Depending on how you look at it the flake changes and disappears, at night in florescent light it's crazy. Really hard to see in the pictures! If you want I can try and take some better ones. It did come out very slick! It also has a few gnats and flaws. Lol But, the gnats recieved a good buffing! Lol. Shane

Attachments

• IMG_20150809_181353792.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20150718_210125689_HDR.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_20150809_181311175.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 380
Using base coat/clear coat ,is a lot easier than a single stage acrylic enamel ( if single stage is even available, where you live....) in a metallic paint. Buy a cheap gun,find some cheap paint & practice ( find a panel to spray on,experience is the only way...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pLB5QMa59FeMHSswA&sig2=vcoML5kQQ3cToOwKcAGzCA
Also check out YouTube videos...

Great link, ABB, thanks! Hot Rod mag sure has a lot of useful stuff on their site. :happy1:

I've actually got a decent spray gun (and an el cheapo) so I guess buy and try is the way to go. I've never tried single stage, I don't think there was such a thing when I was spraying '89-'90 and like you say, It could be banned in the EU, who knows. bc/cc is what I'm used to anyway.

The gnats (had to look it up) and the dust are two of my main concerns re final result. So buffing gets them out? Maybe with some sanding?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, btw. :glasses7:

Attachments

• Foto 2015-09-03 07 43 10.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 404
  • Foto 2015-09-03 07 43 39.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 402
I painted my 62 Belvedere in my garage and it came out nice. I too was looking at $700 to $800 paint estimates. I went with SPI epoxy primer followed with U-Tech single stage urethane. Came out better than I expected. It is an AkzoNobel product and goes on pretty good. I went with ermine white and it covered in 3 coats but I layed down 6. Dust nibs and sweat were my bane even with good prep.

Great link, ABB, thanks! Hot Rod mag sure has a lot of useful stuff on their site. :happy1:

I've actually got a decent spray gun (and an el cheapo) so I guess buy and try is the way to go. I've never tried single stage, I don't think there was such a thing when I was spraying '89-'90 and like you say, It could be banned in the EU, who knows. bc/cc is what I'm used to anyway.

The gnats (had to look it up) and the dust are two of my main concerns re final result. So buffing gets them out? Maybe with some sanding?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, btw. :glasses7:

Once it's cured I wet sand with 1500 then
2000, then I buff it! It comes out very slick! I usually paint in the morning before all the bugs come out! If they do get in there, a steady hand and a pair of tweezers work.

pics aren't very good, dust on them as they sit in open shed out her in the country ( clean air). single stage urethane done in the shed when not windy! shed is now closed on the narrow end, and I put up tarps across the big end somewhat if wind in from that direction. I just want to block off direct wind from spray, I want ventilation though!!!!!!! 63,4,5 dart gt's, 65 cuda, 62 lancer ( a real road toad)< Ha

I figure materials of dtm epoxy, urethane and polyester primers, single stage urethane topcoat, paper, tape, paper, thinner, respirator, etc $700-800 per car. I always have some material left over to use on another car.

I do not strive for show cars, just rust free decent looking drivers. a couple of cars were very straight and needed almost no patches, so they turned out pretty nice. I could get them all that way but I run out of strength after a while ( and patience!).

Attachments

• 100_1607.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_1638.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_1599.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_1729.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_1728.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_1722.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 316
My Grandson was given a '96 white Camry that needed some body work. I roughed up the entire car with Scotch pads and painted it with straight Rustoleum. Didn't bother with the door jambs because the gloss white was a good match to the existing. Used the small sponge rubber rollers. The nice part is you can do the hood one day and a door the next, etc. I must say it came out damn good.

Suggestions:
-The roller should be sponge type about 4" long and 1.5" diameter
-Make sure the surface isn't too hot from the sun
-Load up the roller with as much paint as it will hold
-Roll it out quickly and leave it alone; Forget about color sanding (for maybe a year!)
-Have a small brush ready for where the roller doesn't reach
-A spray can of the same color works good for intricate surfaces like the grille

You can buy rustoleum in tiny cans. Buy one and test it on some scrap.

this is SS TCP Global electric blue metallic. cheap cell phone pic but it came out nice

Attachments

• a273.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 288
of yea, i use tcp global stuff. I have problems with paints and their low VOC stuff works for me.

$50 gravity hvlp guns, one for primer and one topcoat. $35 DA, flap disc for bad rusted areas 80 grit. ospho to treat pitted rusted areas. an old little mig welded w/ gas. the compressor is a twin cylinder I had rebuilt for $75. right angle grinder for use with flap disc, cut off wheels, big wire cup. the rest is my labor and sweat.

I hope to add on to the "car shed" this fall with an addition that I s enclosed that I can add double barrel stove. a little concrete would be great too!????? would be 15 by 40. tin and lumber would cost me about $1000.

so how old do ya have to be before your too old????????

Can I spray single stage paint over my 65 Barracuda original paint with out a primer? I want to do under the hood and trunk lid and the paint is pretty good, no rust.
Thanks Bill

Better use a sealer first

My buddy's 69 Signet painted in Nason metallic, it's a Mazda color. This time we rented a booth, $100 for 24 hours seemed reasonable.

Attachments

• VIDEO0012_0000006062.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Aug. 21, 2014 231.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0293.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0730.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 222
Once it's cured I wet sand with 1500 then
2000, then I buff it! It comes out very slick! I usually paint in the morning before all the bugs come out! If they do get in there, a steady hand and a pair of tweezers work.

No coffee before tweezer duty, then. :D

-
Back