Home Stereo Replacement Speakers

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Hey all,

What's a good source for quality replacement speakers for my home speaker cabinets? The wooofers and mid-ranges are blown and I need to replace them and will most likely get tweeters to match. Back in the day, Radio Shack had really high quality replacement speakers and a set I rebuilt way back in the 80's still kick ***. Now, all they sell are cell phones and RC cars so I'm back to square one. I'm also looking for some good 3 way crossovers that can handle 200W RMS.

Thanks in Advance

What do you have now?

A pair 80's bass port Fishers with a 12" woofer, 4" mid and 3" tweeter. I'm adept with a jig saw so I may change this if the matching speakers are somewhat different.

Try Parts Express (online)...decent prices....

Aloha

X2 on Parts Express

Thanks guys, I'll check this out.

Edit: Very cool site! This is just what I was looking for!

Parts express rocks.I'm running outta rooms to put all the speakers I've resurrected with their products !

I love old Infinities, and send the speakers out to be refurbished. If you have paper cones it is probably not worth it, but there are good people that do that sort of thing. Good Luck

Parts express rocks.I'm running outta rooms to put all the speakers I've resurrected with their products !

That place is one hell of a playground. I already picked out my new speakers and new 3-way crossover.

I love old Infinities, and send the speakers out to be refurbished. If you have paper cones it is probably not worth it, but there are good people that do that sort of thing. Good Luck

Yeah, these are paper cones. Not worth rebuilding the individual speakers but Parts Express does do it and Infinity's would be worth it. I should be good to 150 watts RMS after this rebuild with the new speakers and I was able to match the woofer to the cabinet volume. They should rock, but we'll see. :) Frequency response should be much improved too.

Parts express . com?

Yep, got it and thanks. They've a got a really cool area with speaker projects and one really caught my eye for some "Retro Garage Speakers". It's worth checking out and parts are only about $75 for the pair:

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=GoldenBoys

ScreenHunter_03 May. 18 21.07.jpg

ScreenHunter_04 May. 18 21.09.jpg

Yep,old Infinities are great speakers.need lotsa power to drive em but once they get going they rock! I have much more efficient Altecs.8)

If you like the speakers you have and their voice coils are still good, you can buy kits to recone them at www.simplyspeakers.com I`ve done many (even a pair of Jensen 6 x 9`s) and it`s a real simple process.

Ditto on Parts Express

WOW I have been wondering were to find replacement speakers and the parts express rocks.Thanks.

I had 2 Fisher cab speakers running through a Sherwood receiver and when i blew the 12"s I replaced them with a pair of 12" Rockford Fosgate car speakers and it sounded great.

Those look like some cool speakers Joe, and the price is right,for 3 ways.8)

My old Radio Shacks I rebuilt some 28 years ago are my garage speakers now and still work great. They sound weird when it's really cold out though and take some time to warm up. I need an excuse to build that project..... :read2:

I had 2 Fisher cab speakers running through a Sherwood receiver and when i blew the 12"s I replaced them with a pair of 12" Rockford Fosgate car speakers and it sounded great.

I blew these Fishers a few years back with my vintage 80's Pioneer amp that is very, very conservatively rated 50W per channel. That same amp blew my old Radio shacks too back in the day. IIRC it's rated at 50W RMS at .009% THD distortion@ 15hz to 40,000hz. This is a damn good amp and was the best 140 bucks I ever spent. I cut lawns for a summer to afford that thing in I think '81? Pioneer made some really good stuff back in the day.

Funny you mention using a car woofer as the woofer I picked out is rated for both automotive and home use. BTW, Sherwood made some really good stuff too.

Time to get to work and make some money so I can afford this stuff......

Cool! Glad that helped...I just stumbled on them when I was looking for relays for my barracuda headlight upgrade. They have the relay harness too that make it look almost factory. Shipping was high (to hawaii)...but overall still made it cheaper than buying locally.

Aloha!

btw shipping is free for over $98...at least for now....

I have a set that are like brand new. they are 6 foot tall and liquid cooled.
Back then they guaranteed there was nothing you could do to blow them, or distort them. I have them on a Marantz receiver from the same time.

It's the best sounding stereo I know of. And from the first day my dad bought it for my grandparents in the early 70s it has never had a single problem.

Why don't they make things like this anymore????
This is why I wont buy anything.

Depends on your budget and what you want and have for a system to drive them.

But call the folks at Madisound.

Good to mega $$ stuff, and know wat they sell and even design custom crossovers etc..

-
Back